Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Had to be creative today. Forecast was for 24mph southeasterly winds all day so risked being hard work in at least one direction. Rather than abandon I decided to chance a more or least linear ride northward to Windermere and then use the train to get home. Route took me through the Arnside AONB and over to Levens. Crossing the Lythe valley was a bit hairy with side gusts but I reached the big climb of the day in good spirits. Tow Top up to High Newton is steep with some 20% sections and takes you up 200m from a standing start. Then Newby Bridge before taking the road up west side of Windermere. Had been going to refuel at Claife Station but the cafe was unexpectedly shut. Headed along the lakeshore road which becomes a track to Wray Castle where had an excellent late lunch. The track was a bit tricky on 25mm tyres and had suffered badly in Storm Arwen. I’d had it mind to retrace my tracks to the ferry but it would have been slow going and I had a train to catch. Instead, I continued north to Ambleside and then did the bare knuckle ride down the A road to Windermere. 50 miles exactly, ensured by two laps of the station car park, with 1200m of climbing.

Bike taking a breather at Lakeside.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
3F45248C-3030-4B93-9ABB-BF1A93C6A227.jpeg

Ou
F9FD0658-CB3F-47FA-9661-DC7D870B4B55.jpeg

t
04D55F64-D095-4710-A290-76CBB9113388.jpeg

wi
E9AD0B09-40F9-4E15-815F-E08C6E5C8107.jpeg

th
24C6D15A-7928-4C13-92A8-37711ABC9833.jpeg

my Knees and bingo wings. Twas a little parky But very pleasant.
Just local lanes on my mountain bike, the long trek from Widey hill up th Darkie hill cross full of mud, and a sky full of buzzards.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6818712424

Today was Sunday Social with the Nuneaton crew day, waking up at 6am and seeing the rain belt down outside I was a little reluctant and secretly praying that some or all of the lads would cancel! Needless to say that did not happen and just as well it would seem- by the time I left my house for the short drive down to Higham on the Hill near Nuneaton it had all but cleared up and the sun was shining! Parking up around 0830 and with half an hour to spare I began the three-and-a-half mile journey to the meeting point in Nuneaton. Arrived a tad early, three were already there and two quickly followed me so off we went! The first twenty miles were some new roads for me (I haven’t ventured too much south of the A5) including “reverse Maxstoke” and a few other punchy little rollers in the same 20 odd miles before crossing the A5 after descending Boot Hill, passing alongside Grendon and shortly back into Leicestershire and the familiar roads, with a superb tailwind blowing us to our eventual stop off at Harvey’s cafe in Twycross. A cracking little place that I did already know of, but as it’s only ten miles from home I never gave much consideration to as a cafe stop. But rest assured I will be back!
From there, belly satisfied from bacon sandwich and coffee, we headed back south (and into the wind!) through Bilstone before picking up NCN 52 at Congerstone back towards Nuneaton, peeling off from the lads at Higham where my car was parked up. Nice to catch up and ride with the lads again after what seems like an age. Pretty much 45 miles on the button with 1800ft of upness. Superb ride, tough going at times with the wind and rolling hills but it stayed dry thankfully!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Today was Sunday Social with the Nuneaton crew day, waking up at 6am and seeing the rain belt down outside I was a little reluctant and secretly praying that some or all of the lads would cancel! Needless to say that did not happen and just as well it would seem- by the time I left my house for the short drive down to Higham on the Hill near Nuneaton it had all but cleared up and the sun was shining! Parking up around 0830 and with half an hour to spare I began the three-and-a-half mile journey to the meeting point in Nuneaton. Arrived a tad early, three were already there and two quickly followed me so off we went! The first twenty miles were some new roads for me (I haven’t ventured too much south of the A5) including “reverse Maxstoke” and a few other punchy little rollers in the same 20 odd miles before crossing the A5 after descending Boot Hill, passing alongside Grendon and shortly back into Leicestershire and the familiar roads, with a superb tailwind blowing us to our eventual stop off at Harvey’s cafe in Twycross. A cracking little place that I did already know of, but as it’s only ten miles from home I never gave much consideration to as a cafe stop. But rest assured I will be back!
From there, belly satisfied from bacon sandwich and coffee, we headed back south (and into the wind!) through Bilstone before picking up NCN 52 at Congerstone back towards Nuneaton, peeling off from the lads at Higham where my car was parked up. Nice to catch up and ride with the lads again after what seems like an age. Pretty much 45 miles on the button with 1800ft of upness. Superb ride, tough going at times with the wind and rolling hills but it stayed dry thankfully!!
harveys is a great cafe , it was one of my options today but went to fradely junction instead :smile:

harveys is a great cafe , it was one of my options today but went to fradely junction instead :smile:
I’ve been past it loads but as I said in my write up, too close to really consider as a stop unless I go from Nuneaton with the lads, then I can make a ride out of it. A similar thing with the Honey Pot (Beehive) at Rosliston, but I do have the luxury of popping to that one for lunch break on occasion!

I like Fradley Junction as well- but it can get very busy and I felt like it was done to death last year!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I’ve been past it loads but as I said in my write up, too close to really consider as a stop unless I go from Nuneaton with the lads, then I can make a ride out of it. A similar thing with the Honey Pot (Beehive) at Rosliston, but I do have the luxury of popping to that one for lunch break on occasion!

I like Fradley Junction as well- but it can get very busy and I felt like it was done to death last year!
you have to plan circular routes :smile: ros is only 5 miles away for me but i have made a route that makes it into 30 miles

C R

Guru
Forecast for yesterday was windy but dry. Up early, aiming to set off around six, there was a sudden heavy downpour as I was having breakfast. The wind was driving the rain hard against the window, and my resolve to go for a ride started to dwindle. After confirming with the weather apps that it was indeed supposed to be dry, I forced myself to get out the door.

As it turned out, by the time I got the bike out of the garage the rain had stopped, and the wind was pushing the clouds away leaving a clear sky.

It was about quarter past six that I was on the way, with quite a lot of daylight already. I decided that I would do my Tewkesbury loop backwards, to use the protection of Bredon Hill against the headwind on the way out, so first destination was Pershore. The wind was hard work in places, but I had good cover in others. Progress was slow, because my legs are still not back due to lack of miles in the last few months.

Sun was out in a glorious morning, and the view of Bredon Hill as I headed towards Elmley Castle was fantastic. After a quick stop in Elmley I continued my ascent to Kersoe, were I was greeted by the sounds of young lambs finding their voices.

Next is Ashton under Hill, and then a slight downhill to Beckford. There's lots of pheasants in this lane, which tend to fly off away from the noise of the bike. Yesterday, though, there was a rather large one that sat on the road looking at me, it was well out of my way, so it wouldn't have needed to move, but at the last moment it decided to lift off in my direction, and I had to duck to avoid an impact.

The wind was now mostly on my side, so I had to be careful when going past hedge gaps, but it rather helped in the short climb from Beckford Conderton.

It was a quick downhill from Conderton to Tewkesbury, so my average speed was improving a bit. I had the numpty of the day performing a close pass against incoming traffic just before the Shell petrol station. It wasn't until I reviewed the video that I noticed how close it was, and to top it off they had a dog in the back, with its head out of the window, which would have been very close to me as they went past. I've reported them, hopefully they'll get a letter.

Stopped for a snack at the Mythe Bridge, where the Severn is now fully back within its banks.
20220313_075834.jpg

The final stretch is now a gentle climb to Long Green, and then a flattish ride through Longdon towards Upton. I had a good tail wind along here, and managed about 18mph most of the way, which is rather quick for me.

Helpful as the wind was on my back, it made things interesting on my side along the short descent into Upton, I had to lean into the wind just to ride straight.

Having survived the cross wind, the last bit was rather uneventful through Kinnersley and Pirton.

Lovely ride, with my legs slowly getting there.

The map
Screenshot_20220314-113135_Connect.jpg

cwskas

Über Member
There's lots of pheasants in this lane, which tend to fly off away from the noise of the bike. Yesterday, though, there was a rather large one that sat on the road looking at me, it was well out of my way, so it wouldn't have needed to move, but at the last moment it decided to lift off in my direction, and I had to duck to avoid an impact.

That sounds like an idea for an entertaining thread.

Attack of the Pheasants, Peasants, Wild Non-Pedaling Things

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
This was just the ride I've been needing. Glorious sunshine and mild weather in Gloucestershire, and a chance encounter with a fellow covid-recovering clubmate that gave some encouragement as to the progress that is possible. Headed out to Arlingham intending to do my longest ride so far this year, and took the slightly hillier route via Priding and Fretherne, stopping off for a photo on the banks of the Severn:

After a short climb back away from the river, I took the Arlingham Road and a little detour to a little hamlet that I think of as The Land That Time Forgot, stopping to enjoy the duck pond and a look at this year's spring piglets:

Turned around at my usual turning point in Arlingham, looking across to Newnham on Severn and the Forest of Dean:

On the way back I came across Alex from the cycling club heading in the opposite direction. Six months ago he couldn't lift his arms high enough to grip the handlebars, his long covid was so bad. Now he's back doing hundred mile rides again, which was so encouraging to hear. That gave me a little boost, and made me decide to add another five miles to the ride, returning via Whitminster, Moreton Valence and Epney before doing a small detour to Elmore Back. I had never before left the road to visit Whitminster Church, (which is actually closer to Frampton than it is to Whitminster), so I put that right today:

On the way to Epney up Castle Lane, I called in on the wooden stags. It seems that in this year's rut there has been a clear winner as one of them is now hooves up:

Just as I was arriving close to my housing estate, I noticed a little plane up above having fun drawing a smiley face:

That was quite appropriate, as my mojo seems to be coming back, spring is in the air, and I was feeling quite well after a 30.8 miler ... my longest post covid ride.

Venod

Eh up
Best ride of the year so far. beautiful sunny day South Westerly wind, so headed out on the CX, took the mudguards off this morning, a lot of tracks ( I found some mud) its been a while since I rode this course and a few new housing developments have appeared. I came up the Barnsley to Wakefield leg of the TPT, the old Barnsley/Wakefield canal was the fullest I have seen it, I usually go through the Nostall Priory estate, but decided to take the road home through Ackworth, a very enjoyable 43 mile.

1647282379051.png

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Cheat commute today 57 miles one way -home to Nottingham then an evening work meeting before catching the late train to Brum then a quick dash home through the mean streets !

The weather gods truly blessed me today clear blue skies and sunshine all day and a tailwind 👏👏👏

Attachments

• E4F0DA77-2284-4E2C-BA32-E30A8E59BD59.jpeg
    E4F0DA77-2284-4E2C-BA32-E30A8E59BD59.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 7
  • E8841485-6E56-4EF2-BE59-04FCFE462281.jpeg
    E8841485-6E56-4EF2-BE59-04FCFE462281.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 6
  • 2CD19A41-58BA-482E-BDE1-E1510B2B74A2.jpeg
    2CD19A41-58BA-482E-BDE1-E1510B2B74A2.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 6
First ride of the year, bar the few miles of utility riding.
Bike: Revell mixte.

First ride in more than four months, in fact. No wonder it hurt...
Not quite cold enough for the ski gloves worn, not quite warm enough for fingerless gloves.
Anyhow, despite the hard work, it was good to be out again. Will try some more miles on Thursday, this time on the Scott.

bagpuss

Guru
Todays wanderings took David {aka Wallace} and myself {aka Gromit} to the chesse capital of Leicestershire.
Some what far less hilly that our last ride together . Out we rolled thro Shardlow and onto cycle route to Kegworth . Spinning via East Leak ,Wysall & Widmerpool . A short section of the A606 to Hicking Pastures turning here & gliding down to Hicking . Next to Long Clawson for lunch .
After much cake {that would be Gromit} We turned for the return leg through the Broughtons . Cruising into Willoughby on the Wolds here we headed up to Wysall and rejoined our outward route to Derby .All in all to good ride in the spring weather .

En route

^^^Long Clawson.^^^

Bit of elbow grease & it should polish up.

13 rider

Guru
Todays wanderings took David {aka Wallace} and myself {aka Gromit} to the chesse capital of Leicestershire.
Some what far less hilly that our last ride together . Out we rolled thro Shardlow and onto cycle route to Kegworth . Spinning via East Leak ,Wysall & Widmerpool . A short section of the A606 to Hicking Pastures turning here & gliding down to Hicking . Next to Long Clawson for lunch .
After much cake {that would be Gromit} We turned for the return leg through the Broughtons . Cruising into Willoughby on the Wolds here we headed up to Wysall and rejoined our outward route to Derby .All in all to good ride in the spring weather .

View attachment 635488
En route

View attachment 635489
^^^Long Clawson.^^^

View attachment 635490

Bit of elbow grease & it should polish up.
Some nice routes there . Could you smell the Stilton in Long Clawson ?

Top Bottom