Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
A longer ride to Beeston Castle, 70ish miles, with some steeper inclines to test the legs, beautiful day.

Beeston Castle 1.jpg

Beeston Castle 2.jpg

cwskas

Über Member
Charlie and I made a plan for a bit longer ride today. I decided to ride from my house to his for the start which game me 100 km & 80 km for Charlie. The plan was for a leisurely pace but still was quite exhausting from wind and climbing.

45 F, 7 C when I left my house about 840 am and the wind was just as forecast - almost straight out of north all day hovering around 20 with gusts which would surprise us from time to time. By the time we finished the temperature had risen to 68 F, 20 C.

5h 46m moving and 7h 35m total trip time, 11.1 mph average & 40 mph on the long descent.

If you look carefully you can see Charlie way down there.
20220408-1.jpeg

20220408-2.jpeg

20220408-3.jpeg

A cluster of non-native deer at this location. There is no hunting season on non-native deer. I think owner's might get some sort of 'conservation tax credit' but I dont really know about it. It is quite popular in this county for larger ranches to have some exotic wildlife, some are endangered and others are simply non-native.

20220408-5.jpeg

Our reward for the early climbing.

20220408-6.jpeg

20220408-7.jpeg

20220408-8.jpeg

We had a nice burger and much-needed liquids in Cranfills Gap. One of the earliest settled places in this area.

20220408-10.jpeg

It was our usual group ride today which is Peterborough to Elton Furze, round to Fotheringhay and back to Peterborough. The way back to Peterborough was more bizarre than usual. When the road turns busy sub standard cycle lanes appear but given there's no side roads/ driveways/ junctions it's easier just to use them. I was behind my mate in the cycle lane and a car slows down and a female passenger (I think late middle age) leans out and shouts at him, "get on the cycle path". There is no cycle path, not even a footway, just the cycle lane he was in :scratch:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A cold, early start today to get to the EWCC social ride. 14 of us out so we split into two groups for a 38 mile circuit from Exeter. The route was mostly lanes apart from the A-road back through Rewe to the finish. After coffee & food at the quay, we went our separate ways. I decided on a longer route home.
At some point I realised that I hadn't brought my house-key with me. I called on our neighbours to see if they had a spare, but no, so I had to visit E at work to beg/steal hers. That added another 35k or so (I did another circuit) to make a good 100 miles in total (and 2,000m of climbing).
The tangled gpx track says it all.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Tour De Tadcaster .... ish...

Started and finished in Sherburn tin Helmet via a sportive start at Tadcaster Grammar School .. 2 deg C at the start of the day but warmed up nicely.
The route north took me via Towton battlefield ... no, i’ve never heard of it either but it took place on Palm Sunday and today was ... Palm Sunday.

Yep .... battle of Palm Sunday ....

The area around Tadcaster and Sherburn was like the T de F, a Sportive, bright sunshine and Sunday morning club runs filled the local area.
But maybe Tadcaster Cycling Club should consider why close passing by cars is unacceptable but close passing a lone cyclist, by inches, by a herd of club cyclists is acceptable.
Lovely morning out on roads i have travelled on many times by car and motorcycle but never cycled ... I was posted to RAF Church Fenton back in the day .... Tucano and Bulldog stuff after my RAF service had finished ....

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
The Bowland Ring Cycle.
Act one. Our hero embarks from the far western shore of the fair isle and mounts his steed of the rarest titanium. Fuelled with a passion for cake and points in the 50km/mile a month challenge. Our hero speeds across the sunlit but frost covered lowlands to the kingdom of Yorkshire.

Act two. Our hero has to climb the sacred mountain to the legendary Cross’o’Greet. Despite much clenching of teeth and ancient utterances the summit is reached at 432masl. From there, the lowlands of Lancashire present themselves to our hero.

Act three. The gods of gradients relent and our hero descends as if hunted by a band of Valkyries down the twists and turns of the newly emerging river Hodder. The hero hums de,de, de, der, der etc as he flies ahead of any pursuant.

Act four. The quest for cake continues through Slaidburn and ignoring the offering of the Hark to Bounty, through the Centre of Britain, passing the wild boar farm to Chipping. As everyone knows, all roads in this area eventually reach Chipping. Our quest nears completion as bacon sandwich, Americano and chocolate brownie is Procured. But can our hero return home?

Act five. The chill of winter returns and our hero regrets not wearing a thicker jumper as suggested by his fair lady. He powers through Inglewhite and turns north. A final challenge is overcome as he meets temptation on an Orbea gain. Conversation with the fair maid is convivial but our hero cannot match her thrust and she disappears into the distance.

Act six. The 50km/mile challenge is complete and the Bowland ring cycle is complete. Our hero heads homeward and wonders what the hell was in that coffee….

Pictures of the sacred sheep, the mythical three peaks of Yorkshire and the steed contemplating the plunge down the Hodder. 64 miles 1500m of climbing.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Tour De Tadcaster .... ish...
View attachment 639365

Started and finished in Sherburn tin Helmet via a sportive start at Tadcaster Grammar School .. 2 deg C at the start of the day but warmed up nicely.
The route north took me via Towton battlefield ... no, i’ve never heard of it either but it took place on Palm Sunday and today was ... Palm Sunday.

View attachment 639367

Yep .... battle of Palm Sunday ....
View attachment 639371

The area around Tadcaster and Sherburn was like the T de F, a Sportive, bright sunshine and Sunday morning club runs filled the local area.
But maybe Tadcaster Cycling Club should consider why close passing by cars is unacceptable but close passing a lone cyclist, by inches, by a herd of club cyclists is acceptable.
Lovely morning out on roads i have travelled on many times by car and motorcycle but never cycled ... I was posted to RAF Church Fenton back in the day .... Tucano and Bulldog stuff after my RAF service had finished ....
Well done!
You cycled right past my house in Towton, loads of cyclists riding the sportive today.
There is a nice cafe by Church Fenton airfield if you are ever passing again.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Well done!
You cycled right past my house in Towton, loads of cyclists riding the sportive today.
There is a nice cafe by Church Fenton airfield if you are ever passing again.
Well .. you can see that i started in S-I-E ... and I had paid to enter the charity Sportive ... but as usual I did my own thing ,,, a mix and match of Sportive and my own route ... .... ^_^
If you ever fancy some company for a weekday ride let me know ...

AndreaJ

Veteran
Only 2 of us out for the group ride today which usually means a mystery route! Set off to Ellesmere on a sunny, frosty morning to our meeting point at the Mere and a decision on a route. A compromise was reached about the hill climbing and we set off through Ellesmere through Duddlestone Heath and St Martins to Gobowen. Down some new roads to Oswestry where the uphill bit started up to the old racecourse. The view from the top made it worth the long climb up as did the equally long descent the other side to Trefonen and Morda heading back towards Oswestry. A rare bit of urban cycling for me round the outskirts of Oswestry to avoid the busier road and roundabout then back onto lanes to Queens Head, Rednal, Hordley, Tetchill and back to Ellesmere for coffee at the Boathouse. A quick bit of maths with the mileage showed I would get home on 48 miles so took the longer way back turning off to Lyneal at Welshampton, through to Loppington, Horton and back home. 52 miles on a lovely sunny day.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Early train to Ramsgate this morning with a plan to ride along to Dover then train back to Ramsgate. The weather was fabulous and loads of photo opportunities. I saw more Sustrans markers today than any ride before. Stopped at a place called Route One for lunch in front of Deal pier. I got to Dover Castle and chatted with a fellow cyclist admiring the view. They were heading back to Deal and after saying our goodbye I turned around and caught them up and asked if they would mind me tagging along. Great riding with someone else for a change and really enjoyed it. Stopped at a pub in Sandwich before saying our goodbyes. Ended up back at Ramsgate station and headed for home. Brilliant day all round.
20220410_114850.jpg
20220410_113724.jpg
20220410_111943.jpg
20220410_121659.jpg

Top Bottom