Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Set off at 9:30am and had a nice ride to Utkinton and back, where there are a few relatively steep inclines considering it's Cheshire, which is mostly flat.

Utkinton April 2022.jpg

Utkinton April 2022.02.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A couple of rides to report on again.

Tuesday: I really hadn't expected to be able to get a ride in but the morning rain cleared out of the way about lunchtime and I had the bulk of the afternoon free so I grabbed the knockabout bike and set out.

I thought I'd go for my route down to Dudgeley, up the hills to Wilderley and Pulverbatch then back via Longden. There was a bit of traffic about on the A49 but more notable was the headwind that felt stronger than the forecast suggested. The dusty lanes of a few days ago were quite muddy after the rain making me glad to have picked this bike (although it was also the easiest one to get out at short notice).

Having passed through Longnor and along the old Roman road I crossed the A49 again (had a nice gap in the traffic) and ended up following a tractor much of the way to Dudgeley. I was faster downhill but it could easily pull away on the uphill bits. I was glad that it didn't turn off when I did.

From here the route gets lumpy to Leebotwood then becomes a more steady climb up through Smethcott before becoming lumpy again on the way to Wilderley and Pulverbatch. I had been hoping that the wind would be helping me on the way back and from Pulverbatch it did - I had a good fast run for the few, mostly downhill, miles to Longden Common then Longden, which was enjoyable until I turned off towards Exford's Green where it became an unhelpful crosswind.

Reaching Hunger Hill I found the A49 pretty busy still so decided to forgo the section I knew would have a tailwind in favour of taking the quiet lane over Lyth Hill.

25.8 miles at 12.4 average. Not bad for a hilly route.^_^

After the rain it went quite misty so I only took the one picture of Caer Caradoc trying to hide in the clouds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today: I had an errand to run but the rest of the afternoon free, so I decided to make a ride of it using the knockabout bike again. The errand didn't take much time and once that was done I headed out of Shrewsbury via Weeping Cross and through Betton to Berrington, Atcham and Upton Magna. The roads were slightly busier than usual as people gear up for the Easter weekend but the majority were pretty friendly and I was surprised at the number of times I got waved through. A stop was needed near Berrington to convert my trousers to shorts as it was a little warmer than I'd thought.

I got along quite well to Walcot but took it easy on the gentle climbs to Uppington as have a plan to get a ride in tomorrow and don't want to over tire the legs. I enjoyed the descent through Eaton Constantine but for some reason seemed a bit slow compared to normal down into Cressage. The climb up Shore Lane went quite well considering I was taking it gently, as did the climbs at, and after, Cound Moor.

At Acton Burnell there was barely any traffic which might be to do with a closure of the road near Pitchford (although I think that is being lifted over the weekend). I headed for Longnor then turned northwards to head through Ryton and Condover. This section is mostly slightly downhill so I ould get some reasonable speeds up despite not pushing this time.

Just after Condover I pulled in where there is a view across to the A49. It seemed pretty busy to me so I decided to head for Lyth Hill again which I think was the right decision as it took a while to get a gap in the traffic (helped by another friendly driver who let me out).

35.2 miles at 12.7 mph average. Enjoyed that.

I didn't stop for photos this time.

New Bike Day!!

Just 6 and a half miles but they were off road ones! My new mountain bike arrived yesterday, I built it up today and once up and running where else could I go but to the Snibston trail, just a mile up the road from me. Snibston trail is an old pit tip (spoil heap) that has been redeveloped and repurposed as a proper mountain bike circuit with 9 sections and it’s very technical for a blue route (or at least in my eyes!) but so much fun and despite my lack of prowess on such a machine I stayed firmly on it accident free! Yay!

View: https://youtu.be/qyN35hASp0s

My ride today was abandoned after the first mile...which is a sharp but normally OK climb from my house. Haven't been feeling up to scratch this week, and I just couldn't do it, no energy and breathless, so turned round and came home feeling like a wimp. At least I could freewheel home.

My wife suggested I take a Covid test so I did.....positive. At least I can have an excuse for wimping out.

My ride today was abandoned after the first mile...which is a sharp but normally OK climb from my house. Haven't been feeling up to scratch this week, and I just couldn't do it, no energy and breathless, so turned round and came home feeling like a wimp. At least I could freewheel home.

My wife suggested I take a Covid test so I did.....positive. At least I can have an excuse for wimping out.
Bummer…….

GWS!

gavgav

Guru
I’d not ridden in 2 weeks, due to a mixture of weather, other plans and then, 10 days ago, trapping my finger in a car door. Wouldn’t recommend it! It had recovered enough to attempt a ride today and I’m up in Wales at our caravan, for the week, so wanted to get out if I could.

It was cloudy and cool start to the day, with a light breeze from the South, which was welcome after arriving in 60mph gales on Monday.

I followed the main road down to Barmouth, which was intolerably busy with holiday traffic, but mainly as well behaved as it gets along there, then paused to take a photo overlooking the seafront, before dropping down there.

The promenade was already becoming busy with day trippers and holiday makers. I then crossed the busy Barmouth bridge and onto the Mawddach Trail, which was full of cyclists and walkers, including lots of family groups with little ones wobbling about on bikes. Really good to see and one little girl even decided to race me on one section, she kept up a good pace until her mum shouted her to stop :laugh:

At the top of the estuary I turned left for the first time in a while, passing through the outskirts of Dolgellau and then climbing up towards Coed y Brenin.

Once arriving in the forest, I took a right and began the steep climb up to the top of the gorge. It’s nigh on 700ft of climbing in just over a mile, which was a struggle due to being out of practice. I was glad to reach the top and then cross the river, to join the nice downhill run along the opposite side of the gorge.

I paused for lunch in the Forest Garden, which is a lovely peaceful spot to while away some time. It’s then more climbing up towards Llanfachreth and Nannau, before the exhilarating fast descent back down to Dolgellau. Just starting the descent, I had the annoyance of the chain coming off again, when shifting to the big cog, which is becoming infuriating. It went back on much easier than last time and topping out at 37.5mph during the descent made up for it.

Cader Idris across the other side of Dolgellau

I looped around the town and then joined the Mawddach trail for the run back to Barmouth. It had quietened down a bit, but saw a few of the same families as earlier and they were still going strong.

Barmouth was now absolutely heaving, so I didn’t hang around, joining the busy main road back up to the caravan, only 1 close pass which wasn’t too bad.

A throughly enjoyable 43.49 miles at 10.4mph avg and the finger was fine really, just letting me know it was still there when braking heavily.

Last edited:

buzz22

Über Member
20220415_081847.jpg
20220415_081841.jpg

Today was about going for a ride on two wheels without pedalling, I took my old Honda CBR600F for a ride through Royal National Park in Sydney.
A clear autumn morning on Good Friday, little traffic and nowhere else to be.

Attachments

• 20220415_081841.jpg
    20220415_081841.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220415_081847.jpg
    20220415_081847.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220415_081841.jpg
    20220415_081841.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220415_081847.jpg
    20220415_081847.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 2

bagpuss

Guru
Two rides on Thursday despite feeling off it .
First outing was with David for a Sandwich course to Home Pierrepoint on the Trent in Nottingham . Using mostly cyclce paths we ambled along
via Shradlow ,past the power station at Thrumpton and into Clifton . Following well marked routes & passing Nottingham Trent Uni .We waited for several trams at crossing points which was new to me having not being to Raleigh City on a bike for a number of years . Following the river path we had a light lunch at the cafe at HP . It a good value caf and the staff very friendly . Re tracing our outward route it dropped cold as the sun hid behind the clouds . Back to Allestree Derby and another enjoyable spin .
No pictures as my camera did not want to come for the ride!

A nap soon followed on my rt home {Still off it }
An evening ride with to the old bikers starting from the village Ednaston . This run took us through Hollington ,Sutton , Church Broughton , Longford and back to Hollington & Ednaston in the evening sun . The world was put to rights and was a better place for awhile . So despite still feeling off it another pleasant outing on some of Derbyshires many country lanes .The yellow of the rape seed looked lovely in the setting sun.
Once again no camera !

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Another vote for full summer kit, gorgeous today.
50miles, first 'proper' ride since Covid a few weeks ago and definitely felt it but great to be out.
Out at 9:30, already sunny and decided on a route over the bridge into North Lincs, lots of roads never ridden before, very quiet and picturesque.

Hull Marina in all its glory, full of afternoon revellers on the way back, little jealous as I'm working tonight so couldn't stop for a beer.

Once out of the town and over the bridge the sun kept beaming, the fields looked gorgeous and the legs and lungs felt great.

Slight tailwind over the bridge and managed a PB.

The plan was to visit Thornton Abbey however is currently closed so a quick picture with the bike and onto a cafe stop 25 miles in at Ulceby however this was also closed so it was Co Op to the rescue, sausage roll and a Lucozade then pushed on.

Legs and lungs were starting to fail at this point. Fitness has certainly dropped off, my chest felt tight as anything and started cramping up a little. My riding mate was also feeling some fatigue which isn't like him at all so we took it steady back to Barton where we found the nicest little cafe, lovely owner and cat and made the most of the sun to recover. Had more than enough water however the owner insisted on refilling our bottles before we set off.

Fig tree tearooms in Barton is definitely recommended if anyone is ever out that way.

Hello moggy, very friendly puss.

After that a quick blast back over the bridge and back through Hull to get home for 50 miles, my mate managed 60 living further away.
Great ride out, not feeling too bad barring some chest tightness now but definitely need to keep at it, Long Covid will not beat me!
Quick kip then off to work tonight.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Missed two weekends of riding due to covid, but finally tested negative Sunday just gone, so with the weather forecast looking good I decided today was the day to go bag 4 veloviewer squares out Apethorpe way, all 4 could only be got by bridleways so i had been leaving them as it was about 6 miles of off roading expected and it kills your average speed.

Anyway leave the house at 6 and it isn't very warm but thankly pretty much no wind, so long tracksters on; arm warmers on, jacket on, woolly gloves on.

35 miles into the ride and I get to Apethorpe and turn onto the first bridleway, this is 1.3 miles and then back before I go onto another bridleway. Well over a mile of it was perfect tarmac and just the end was compacted dirt, but that was pretty smooth.

Second bridleway and this is 2 miles and then back the way I came, first mile, again perfect tarmac, then half a mile on compacted dirt through a field and then back onto tarmac, at this point I saw half a dozen or so deer running through a field, luckily going away from me. The last bit of the bridleway was compacted stone, but with a lot of loose stone on top, so this was the only bit I needed to be careful on.

Before I turn around for the 2 mile trek back to Apethorpe the jacket, arm warmers and woolly gloves get shed.

at 44 miles another diversion to grab a square, 4 miles later my legs start hurting, but I push on, but anything up is really slow. I get to Elton (not far from Peterborough) and I see a garden centre, so decide to stop. I walk into the cafe and the bloke serving looked at me as if I was dirt and was a bit shirty with me, I was tempted to tell him to do one, but as I mature I am trying to be more tolerant, so order a coffee to takeaway and go find a bench in the village to sit at.

Get going again, grab a couple more squares by way of down a road and then turning back round to rejoin the main route.

I get to Wansford and I'm at 63 miles and it is time to turn west and head pretty much straight back to Leicester. At this point I am knackered and had to do a steady climb (absolutely nothing climb really, in fact some of it might have been flat :rolleyes:) of about 3.5 miles and it takes forever.

Get to Blatherwycke and take a rough road that drops down onto the A43. Get to the bottom and the road is closed. One car waiting, police car with lights on and a recovery truck tying down a wrecked motor bike. Coppers said biker was okay and had come off going down the A43, across the road the road signs are in the hedge. Anyway politely ask if they want me to wait for the road to open or can I walk around it, they wave me through ^_^

I decide I'm going to stop again and I'm convinced there is a cafe in Harringworth, but when I get there I can't find it, a couple of miles later I decide to stop, sat under a tree and have some chocolate. Feeling a bit refreshed I set off again.

I had an emergency cafe built in about 9 miles from the end in Tur Langton, riding up the hill to the village I get really bad cramp and had to jump off the bike, walk for a minute or so and then get back on. Get to the cafe and the lady says we are really busy, food might take a while. Music to my ears. I order a sandwich, a pot of tea and a can of coke. Must have been a good 30 minutes before the food came, which was good, because I'm a sod for rushing at stops and I really needed to rest.

Eventually set off and there are a couple of short sharp ups that I'm beginning to dread, not that they are massive, just that I am struggling. So I decide to change the route at the death and go through Great Glen, adds about a mile on, but only one up and it is a cycle path and is short and not that steep. Except I forgot the climb out of Great Glen, again it is a pimple really, but the road surface is awful and makes it much more difficult than it should be, anyway spin up it and I'm a couple of miles now from home and it is mainly downhill / flat.

Get home on just over 102 miles and my slowest ride for a long time at 15.2mph. Bagged 20 new squares and I've just noticed I'm 3 squares (all next to each other) away from increasing my max square :smile:

Time for lots of liquid and a kip I think. I can't remember the last time a ride like that was so hard, it can't be just the covid as it hardly affected me, I've had much worse colds, in fact I was worse at Christmas when I had a horrible cough but kept testing negative.

I'm still glad I went out, weather was glorious and loads of cyclists out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6985449217

Top Bottom