Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Fabulous weather so took the tandem to Dunham on the Hill for some different roads without too long a drive.

Did a circular to Whitchurch via Aldford, Farndon, Bangor on Dee (pic), Whitchurch for lunch, Cholmondley, Tattenhall (cafe closed, BOO), Tarvin.

62 miles! Not bad for November.

20231111_105830.jpg

Oh, and first ever puncture on marathon pluses. TBF there were hedge cuttings bleedin' everywhere

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Oh, and first ever puncture on marathon pluses. TBF there were hedge cuttings bleedin' everywhere
Well done for fixing that on the go. I fitted a couple of Marathon Pluses a few weeks back and ended up with no fingerprints for a week or so.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Over the last year's I've explored a lot of the local forest trails on my gravel bike, but there are still random blanks on my mental map of the forest, so today I decided to explore one of them. I start normally on familiar roads and trails, at one point being chased by an out of control dog. The last month has been very wet and grey the forest floor a mess in places.

IMG_20231112_112709716.jpg

I soldier on and the sun decides to make a rare appearance bathing the forest in beautiful light. I pass a group of gravel cyclists traveling the other way, a rare site in these parts despite the lovely gravel roads.

IMG_20231112_112803846.jpg

Despite these roads being familiar so far, they still form part of a working forest and on occasion that's bought home, no more so than at one section where I take a break. A combination of the incredibly wet month and heavy machinery has destroyed this section of forest and left it a mud bath.

IMG_20231112_114956600.jpg

A few kilometres further on and I'm finally turning away from the familiar and into the unknown, a grassy trail leads me deeper into the forest. I'm following a route I'd plotted earlier twisting this way and that, joining dots and traversing a part of the map I'd yet to explore. There was no telling what surfaces I'd be riding on or even if those trails existed.

IMG_20231112_120622840.jpg

As I got further in, the trail did started petering out until finally I was bought short by a tangle of boughs over a boggy section. I heaved and hauled my bike through, but it soon became apparent there was no onwards journeying this way. Another path yields the same result and I'm faced with a decision.

IMG_20231112_121205233.jpg

Consulting the map, I decide to re-trace a few hundred metres and find another way through. A wise decision as I'm soon onto better surfaces winding my way pleasantly under mossy pines. The trail meanders around and before long I rejoin my intended route further on . It's not long now before my side adventure is over and I emerge onto more familiar trials, but the adventure was not over yet. I came across a barrier at a broken bridge, it looks like some fool has tried to drive across with dire consequences.

IMG_20231112_125633704.jpg

Faced with turning back for several kilometers, or doing what all the locals have been doing, I followed the locals through a makeshift gap, dodging the holes in the bridge and through the gap on the other side. Onwards now as we start to get closer to home, the scenery is lovely on this late autumn day.

IMG_20231112_125926335.jpg

The last kilometers are back through familiar gravel roads, the surface mainly good and firm, though where there are puddles they are deep and long. Me and the bike are completely covered in mud, like the creature from the black lagoon.

IMG_20231112_131144305.jpg

Finally we roll back into the garden where the wife barricades the door until I shed all my muddy layers. Both me and the bike need a good hosing down, but what a lovely morning in the forest and quite an interesting adventure exploring blanks on my map.

Overall just under 37 kilometers of muddy slippery autumnal fun.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Yuk, had to cut today‘s ride short as a result of cold, wet rain. I know all rain is wet but this was the penetrating through the waterproof variety. I did manage to get out to the lovely Kirby Lonsdale where I picked up a brew and cake at the bakery. Then I climbed out of the Lune Valley up to Hutton Roof and then squeezed through some cycle.travel special lanes with grass up the middle, to find the gated road that skirts Farleton Fell. Shortly after, the rain arrived so I headed for the tree lined roads of Silverdale and home via Wharton Crag. Some large flocks of field fare, redwing and a starling murmur action sparked by a buzzard. 74 km with 940 m of climbing. Was tempted to nudge it up to over the 80 km and 1000 m targets but Mrs G had made soup.

pictures looking back across the Lune Valley or Lonsdale, and the Lancaster canal northern reaches.

IMG_0319.jpeg

IMG_0321.jpeg

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out just before 10.30am for a meet up with a couple of friends in the next village. I soon realised that an extra layer would have been beneficial, it was nippy🥶
Luckily I had a cycle cap in my bar bag so I popped that on under my helmet which helped to stop the brain freeze!
A lunch stop at Cawood cafe then home after 25 miles. Need to sort my layering and gloves next time.

IMG_8728.jpeg

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Well done for fixing that on the go. I fitted a couple of Marathon Pluses a few weeks back and ended up with no fingerprints for a week or so.

Depends a lot on the rim, but I carry one of these on the tandem exactly to guard against that, it helps a lot.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/var-tyre-levers/

Also carry a couple of straps to fasten down the tyre into the well, but not had to resort to that (yet!).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Yesterday was my first ride without rain for several weeks and the first with full gloves. I rode out to meet the Wheelers' social group, caught them just before the hill out of Tipton. The roads were pretty mucky and it wasn't long before one lad had a puncture. It took a while to mend. "Committees always take longer" said someone. It gave me a chance to remove excess clothing, the day having warmed up a little. We continued through more skoggy lanes, through Talaton and down to cross the main road at Westcott. Just before the big hill our lad punctured again. Three others had gone ahead so I chased and brought them to heel, then waited at a suitable spot for the others to appear.
IMG_20231111_111446345_HDR.jpg

Ken had caught us up and nine of us continued to Silverton where David peeled off for home. At Rewe Ken diverted for home and the rest of us bashed down the main road to the city. A bit of traffic-dodging took us to the quay and we finished with coffee and cakes.
Except of course I hadn't finished because I had to get home. That was another 30 odd km wombling through the lanes.
filth.JPG

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My first "full gloves ride" yesterday too, enjoying the morning sunshine after the recent rains.

Just a short one, following the River Mole as it crosses flood plains near Cobham. Some of the roads were thick with wet silt; apparently they'd been underwater, as had the fields, which still had standing water.

The river would meet up with they Wey - but they both turn North towards the Thames, with this heathland in the gap inbetween. There's even a hill with a bit of a view.
k8J7TqmiNXkjYMmeO5Dbg=w665-h884-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Sometimes I would ride this way on 22mm slicks as part of my commute. Surprisingly, my 42mm gravel tyres didn't seem any better, and the sandy descent was a bit lively.

Came to some 'rare' and 'fragile' heathland that's being restored.
58VabQrWkJJnDsme7rZs=w1174-h884-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Clearly a work in progress.

Reached home with chores to do, so just 13 miles cycled, and at a very slow speed, but a lovely hour or so outdoors.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Today was supposed to be a writing day but the forecast for the weekend was wet and windy, so I swapped things around. Heavy overnight rain gave way to lovely wintry sunshine with light winds which shouted bike ride. I headed in an indirect route to Ingleton and on to Thornton in Lonsdale. A flask coffee at the church revitalised me for the stiff climb from Lonsdale into Kingsdale. The gated empty valley didn’t disappoint and I climbed imperceptibly at first, then sharply upward to the head of the dale. Wonderful views and lots of birds. I saw 8 kestrels at various locations during the ride along with big groups of starling and redwing. From Kingsdale the road plunges down into Deepdale and the Dentdale. It made me glad of the hydraulic disc brakes although getting enough weight on the back wheel was the major challenge. I managed to stop inches from the gate that is half way down the descent. Onward to the cobbles of Dent and some lunch. After lunch the cold and damp began to penetrate as it started to get dark so it was a quick ride home via Kirby Lonsdale. 102 km with 1316 m of climbing.

Pictures are of Kingsdale, Deepdale, a waterfall in Dentdale and Dent itself.

IMG_0365.jpeg

IMG_0369.jpeg

IMG_0371.jpeg

IMG_0372.jpeg

It was supposed to bucket all day so the group ride was cancelled, typically that meant that by 9:30am at least (when I got out of bed it had stopped). I debated going for a ride (lol, getting the bike mucky and potential the house) but by 11am I had cracked and headed out for an explore.

Despite the one time I stopped for a pic it actually turned quite nice and patches of blue sky actually appeared as it turned quite bright.

Lol, It was bright behind me in the pic but that picture would have been of a building site
:joy:

As I was saying it was turning very nice by 1pm and was very mild (13-14deg according to mywindsock.com) and I debated going further and getting a coffee and cake, but in the end I decided to get back and clean the bike. It was a good decision just as I had got everything ready I got a text from a mate to go for a coffee and cake. Delightfully by the time he appeared 25mins later the bike and the patio were clean and just about dry after a wipe down. 5mins later it was good to put the bike away. That mudguard though is about as useful as a chocolate teapot though
:joy:

At least it done a good job of keeping the bike clean
:wink:

13 rider

Guru
It was supposed to bucket all day so the group ride was cancelled, typically that meant that by 9:30am at least (when I got out of bed it had stopped). I debated going for a ride (lol, getting the bike mucky and potential the house) but by 11am I had cracked and headed out for an explore.

View attachment 713865

Despite the one time I stopped for a pic it actually turned quite nice and patches of blue sky actually appeared as it turned quite bright.

View attachment 713866

Lol, It was bright behind me in the pic but that picture would have been of a building site View attachment 713867

As I was saying it was turning very nice by 1pm and was very mild (13-14deg according to mywindsock.com) and I debated going further and getting a coffee and cake, but in the end I decided to get back and clean the bike. It was a good decision just as I had got everything ready I got a text from a mate to go for a coffee and cake. Delightfully by the time he appeared 25mins later the bike and the patio were clean and just about dry after a wipe down. 5mins later it was good to put the bike away. That mudguard though is about as useful as a chocolate teapot though View attachment 713868

View attachment 713869

At least it done a good job of keeping the bike clean View attachment 713870
View attachment 713871
That tops lasting well ,Aldi cira 2015 if I'm not mistaken

A group ride for me today on the winter/commuter bike. The forecast two days ago was more right than the one last night it was supposed to be wet after 10am but when I turned up at the meet it was:

And whilst it greyed over and looked bleak in the distance we got no more than moisture blowing in the wind.
We took a shorter way back when it looked like it was going to turn grim. I had sat in on the way out but with the motivation to stay dry I went to the front, and after I left them I kept the pace up; it shows on my HR. Lol, but again there was nothing more than spits in the wind.
Quite glad I took the winter bike out, it cleaned up fast when I got back and I had wanted to be fast given the forecast to turn torrential the back of noon. Lol, the skies actually started to turn blue and only long after my shower was there a few spits of rain on my windows, and that never lasted long and its been cloudy blue skies since. The only thing the forecast got right was the wind.

20231119_152649

Top Bottom