Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
Not a chance of a road ride today due to heavy snowfall so got the rollers out for the first time in god knows how long. Very wobbly start but managed an hour watching a YouTube turbo session. Hope it all goes by tomorrow.

I was originally going to have a lie in but chat started in our WhatsApp group and I awoke to:

Nowt but a scattering but hey ho, there’ll be total travel chaos in the south of England
:wink:

So I took a slow jaunt up to the Fineshade MTB Centre and Cafe

It started to drizzle just as I was reaching the cafe and I didn’t want to leave my bike too long with just a cafe lock. So it was a quick pit stop!
image1224×1632 95 KB

I never quite beat the drizzle though and it had set in to quite a consistent rain, so the route back was on road and a wee bit faster.

At least that washed down my bike a bit before a quick clean
:smiley:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Started late morning and cycled down Brittany’s V3 Voie Verte from Mauron, past Ploërmel and over the Oust at le Pont des-Deux-Rivières. I would have joined the Nantes-to-Brest canal at this point but unfortunately the towpath was closed. Left the Voie Verte and followed a quiet road to le Roc St André. The towpath south le Roc was open so I followed it down to le Pont de Bagotais. I rejoined the Voie Verte here, took one look at the sky and decided to head back to the van. It rained a bit on the return leg but not heavily.

65km in a smidge over 4 hours .. slow but I’m getting old and parts of the Voie Verte were quite slippery with wet leaves (and having crashed on wet leaves in November I preferred not to repeat the trick).

Some photos from today's ride …

Near Trégadoret on the ‘out’ leg

Near Trégadoret pic 1.JPG

View W from le Pont des-Deux-Rivières – very still and quiet

View W from Pont des DR pic 1.JPG

The Nantes-to-Brest canal towpath, south of le Roc St André. In July/August this can be nose-to-tail in both directions with bikes .. tourers doing EuroVelo #1 or holidaymakers who’ve hired bikes etc .. but today it was beautifully deserted. Spotted some cormorants and a pair of grebes.

NtB towpath S of Roc ST André pic 1.JPG

My turning point at le Pont de Bagotais .. the Voie Verte goes over the bridge and the canal towpath loops underneath, heading towards Malestroit

Pont de Bagotais pic 2.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
16.5 miles, none of it off road…. But it may have well have been.

The first bit of flooded lane I went through was deep, deeper than the bottom of my pedal stroke!

I think I went through 5 flooded sections in total.

After seeing the cows at Carswell I stopped to give a helping hand to an oak eggar caterpillar that was crossing the road. I deposited it in the hedge.

Later on in a very sheltered lane behind the hamlet of Ford there was a red admiral flying about.

My last 1.5 miles was into a roaring headwind.

It was lovely to have some blue sky and sunshine!

https://www.strava.com/activities/10358779146

IMG_7924.jpeg

IMG_7925.jpeg

IMG_7927.jpeg

IMG_7929.jpeg

IMG_7932.jpeg

IMG_7951.jpeg

IMG_7952.jpeg

IMG_7954.jpeg

IMG_7955.jpeg

IMG_7957.jpeg

Decided to go on road today and loaded up a TR outside workout (Electra). Electra is a manageable Tempo workout I quite like for passing time. I was also using my winter bike with no PM so it was done on RPE/HR I made my way down to near the Holly Lodge Cafe but I made the mistake of pressing lap when I didn’t need to so I ended up with one 10 minute tempo interval short. So I did it after the cool down. Towards the end of that I realised I was near an OS tile that I needed to bag so I diverted down a steep lane which was a wee bit flooded at the bottom and the timer page had no %HR max so it looks like I dropped out of the Tempo HR zone. After I bagged the tile I loaded Electra again so I could do it right. I did stop briefly for coffee and cake after the 2nd 10min interval. I made it a quick one as it was forecasted to turn wet.

Screenshot_20231210-142239_Strava

After Electra was finished I decided to do some 60/60s at tempo to make sure I beat the rain. I did just
:+1:

https://youtube.com/shorts/YR-14gJMcpw

Alex321

Veteran
Painful one today, coming off at fairly high speed. On a fairly fast downhill, on a narrow lane in the dark. Braked a bit too hard & locked up the rear wheel. Didn't have enough space to the left to recover before I hit the hedge, which turned out to be a solid bank :sad:

Bruised left knee, shoulder and ribs.

No obvious damage to the bike, but something was sticking on the back wheel. Not enough to really notice while riding home, and I couldn't see what it was in the dark, but it stops almost immediately if you lift it off the ground and turn it. It went down to the left, so if it isn't the mudguard, it will be the brake (disc brake).

I'll have a look at it in daylight tomorrow, though it will probably be a week or two before I'm fit to ride again, with the bruised ribs.

Jameshow

Veteran
9 after work miles. It was warmer than last Friday, but due to yesterday’s monsoon the roads were filthy.

On part of the ride I felt like Danny, champion of the world as pheasants about to roost were exploding all about in front of me (5th & 6th picture)

https://www.strava.com/activities/10348772401

View attachment 715667

View attachment 715668

View attachment 715669

View attachment 715670

View attachment 715671

View attachment 715672

View attachment 715673

View attachment 715674

View attachment 715675

Favourite childhood story - Danny champion of the world!!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Spotted a weather window today and was able to juggle work. Went out through Wray and then the usual Mewith lane to Keasden. All very pleasant with a favourable breeze but then turned south and started climbing up to 400 masl at Bowland Knotts. The crosswinds were tricky although took my mind off the climb. A great descent through Gisburn Forest and then on to Slaidburn. Spent some time watching three roe deer in Gisburn and was treated to a glimpse of an hen harrier on the tops. Unfortunately the cafe was shut in Slaidburn so pressed on into a cold headwind until Dunsop Bridge. Puddle Ducks was welcoming and I needed a rest before the climb of Trough of Bowland. It’s quite steep from the east and I crawled to the top. Home via Abbeystead. A slow and cold 86km with 1387 m of climbing.

pictures of top of Bowland Knotts, Hodder Valley and approach to Trough.

IMG_0389.jpeg

IMG_0392.jpeg

IMG_0394.jpeg

Top Bottom