Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Sunday: As forecast the day dawned bright and sunny. It was just about warm enough for shorts and t-shirt from the off and expected to become pleasantly comfortable later. The plan was to get a 50 miler in and the route included some proper climbing which Doug didn't think he'd be able to manage. We had a plan that he'd stop off at Dolgellau and we'd rejoin him later, however after some discussion the alternative plan was for Doug to join us for part of the hilly section then to do his own shorter route and we'd meet up at Dolgellau - this would hopefully mean he wouldn't be having to wait round in town for too long.

We headed for Barmouth and found the main road reasonably busy. Most of the traffic was well behaved but one driver who gave us plenty of room forced an oncoming Land Rover into an emergency stop.:ohmy: We got off that road as soon as possible and dropped down to cross the railway and ride along the sea front. There were plenty of trippers arriving for the day with queues to get into the car parks already.

Barmouth Bridge was fairly crowded so progress across it was slow. I'm pleased to see that barriers have been put on the path at the Morfa Mawddach end which should help deter motorcyclists from trying to use the footpath across the bridge. We joined the Mawddach trail which was nicely busy with people walking and more cyclists than I've seen out at once since the covid lockdowns. It was really good to see a wide variety of riders too - not just the obvious keen cyclists.

After the end of the trail we followed NCN route 82 up towards Coed Y Brenin. A family group was taking a breather part way up the first steep bit - we hadn't the heart to tell them how much more climbing there was likely to be. The views along this valley are lovely and made a good distraction for Doug who was doing alright but finding the climbs an effort. Gav and I parted from him close to The Forest Garden and made our own way on the route Gav had plotted out. I've ridden a lot of this before but it is still steep and I think Doug was right to avoid this bit.

At the summit of the climb the trees have been harvested since I was last here meaning there are some great views. We found a spot by a junction to pause to eat our lunch, with a view of mountain bikers coming to the end of a trail section and having to splash through a muddy puddle before joining the road.
When we moved on again we had a really nice long descent back to the road where we'd last seen Doug and headed past the Forest Garden ourselves.

Gav had some new lanes to try out so we turned off and had an explore on the way to Llanfachreth and Ochr Y Foel. A lady with a couple of very large black dogs crossed the path just in front of Gav - he said he thought they were bears for a moment.:laugh:

We rejoined familiar roads on the descent into Dolgellau and with good sight lines and a smooth surface I hit 42.3 mph top speed at one point.:hyper:My highest top speed on this bike by some margin and only a fraction slower than my best ever (set on the same stretch of road incidentally). We met Doug at The Royal Ship in the centre of town and he bought a round.

After enjoying our break at the pub we returned along the Mawddach Trail. There were still plenty of people about but it wasn't quite as busy as earlier. We had a headwind on the way back which made progress a little slower then when we reached Arthog we took a detour out to the main road and into Fairbourne so as to make sure of getting over 50 miles. It's been many years since I last visited Fairbourne - I liked seeing the miniature railway again but the rest of the village feels pretty run down which is a little sad. We rode as far as the tarmac goes then retraced our steps (getting held up at the level crossing) and rejoined the path to the bridge at Morfa Mawddach. Again, there were plenty of people using the path but not quite as many so it was slightly easier on the return.
Barmouth had obviously had a busy day as there were cars parked along the whole length of the promenade. Quite a few people wandered into the road without looking so we had to pay attention.

After the steep climb at the end of the sea front we rejoined the main road - we stayed on this road for a bit and having a tailwind we were getting along at a good pace, overtaking a couple of riders along the way. The motor traffic seemed to be going at a particularly fast pace too so as soon as the signage allowed it we hopped onto the path even if it wasn't as good to ride.

51.94 miles at 11 mph average. A great ride in some wonderful weather.

We did have it in mind to ride again on the Monday but Gav and Doug preferred a walk along the beach instead - that turned out to be a good move as it stayed dry where we were but a couple of thundery showers rolled across where we would have gone.

20240505_104755.jpg

Barmouth Bridge.

20240505_105651.jpg

The train for Barmouth at Morfa Mawddach.

20240505_110646.jpg

20240505_111337.jpg

Enjoying the Mawddach Trail.

20240505_123156.jpg

Some climbing to do in Coed Y Dinas.........

20240505_123937.jpg

....... the views from the top are worthwhile though.

20240505_133123.jpg

Near Llanfachreth.

20240505_135725.jpg

Pints at The Royal Ship. Shame Gav blinked - I'll have to take him back and get the shot again.;)

20240505_154804.jpg

The Fairbourne Railway.

20240505_162213.jpg

The view from the top of our last steep climb of the day.

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
Sunday: As forecast the day dawned bright and sunny. It was just about warm enough for shorts and t-shirt from the off and expected to become pleasantly comfortable later. The plan was to get a 50 miler in and the route included some proper climbing which Doug didn't think he'd be able to manage. We had a plan that he'd stop off at Dolgellau and we'd rejoin him later, however after some discussion the alternative plan was for Doug to join us for part of the hilly section then to do his own shorter route and we'd meet up at Dolgellau - this would hopefully mean he wouldn't be having to wait round in town for too long.

We headed for Barmouth and found the main road reasonably busy. Most of the traffic was well behaved but one driver who gave us plenty of room forced an oncoming Land Rover into an emergency stop.:ohmy: We got off that road as soon as possible and dropped down to cross the railway and ride along the sea front. There were plenty of trippers arriving for the day with queues to get into the car parks already.

Barmouth Bridge was fairly crowded so progress across it was slow. I'm pleased to see that barriers have been put on the path at the Morfa Mawddach end which should stop motorcyclists trying to use the footpath across the bridge. We joined the Mawddach trail which was nicely busy with people walking and more cyclists than I've seen out at once since the covid lockdowns. It was really good to see a wide variety of riders too - not just the obvious keen cyclists.

After the end of the trail we followed NCN route 82 up towards Coed Y Brenin. A family group was taking a breather part way up the first steep bit - we hadn't the heart to tell them how much more climbing there was likely to be. The views along this valley are lovely and made a good distraction for Doug who was doing alright but finding the climbs an effort. Gav and I parted from him close to The Forest Garden and made our own way on the route Gav had plotted out. I've ridden a lot of this before but it is still steep and I think Doug was right to avoid this bit.

At the summit of the climb the trees have been harvested since I was last here meaning there are some great views. We found a spot by a junction to pause to eat our lunch, with a view of mountain bikers coming to the end of a trail section and having to splash through a muddy puddle before joining the road.
When we moved on again we had a really nice long descent back to the road where we'd last seen Doug and headed past the Forest Garden ourselves.

Gav had some new lanes to try out so we turned off and had an explore on the way to Llanfachreth and Ochr Y Foel. A lady with a couple of very large black dogs crossed the path just in front of Gav - he said he thought they were bears for a moment.:laugh:

We rejoined familiar roads on the descent into Dolgellau and with good sight lines and a smooth surface I hit 42.3 mph top speed at one point.:hyper:My highest top speed on this bike by some margin and only a fraction slower than my best ever (set on the same stretch of road incidentally). We met Doug at The Royal Ship in the centre of town and he bought a round.

After enjoying our break at the pub we returned along the Mawddach Trail. There were still plenty of people about but it wasn't quite as busy as earlier. We had a headwind on the way back which made progress a little slower then when we reached Arthog we took a detour out to the main road and into Fairbourne so as to make sure of getting over 50 miles. It's been many years since I last visited Fairbourne - I liked seeing the miniature railway again but the rest of the village feels pretty run down which is a little sad. We rode as far as the tarmac goes then retraced our steps (getting held up at the level crossing) and rejoined the path to the bridge at Morfa Mawddach. Again, there were plenty of people using the path but not quite as many so it was slightly easier on the return.
Barmouth had obviously had a busy day as there were cars parked along the whole length of the promenade. Quite a few people wandered into the road without looking so we had to pay attention.

After the steep climb at the end of the sea front we rejoined the main road - we stayed on this road for a bit and having a tailwind we were getting along at a good pace, overtaking a couple of riders along the way. The motor traffic seemed to be going at a particularly fast pace too so as soon as the signage allowed it we hopped onto the path even if it wasn't as good to ride.

51.94 miles at 11 mph average. A great ride in some wonderful weather.

We did have it in mind to ride again on the Monday but Gav and Doug preferred a walk along the beach instead - that turned out to be a good move as it stayed dry where we were but a couple of thundery showers rolled across where we would have gone.

View attachment 730036
Barmouth Bridge.

View attachment 730037
The train for Barmouth at Morfa Mawddach.

View attachment 730038

View attachment 730039
Enjoying the Mawddach Trail.

View attachment 730040
Some climbing to do in Coed Y Dinas.........

View attachment 730041
....... the views from the top are worthwhile though.

View attachment 730042
Near Llanfachreth.

View attachment 730043
Pints at The Royal Ship. Shame Gav blinked - I'll have to take him back and get the shot again.;)

View attachment 730044
The Fairbourne Railway.

View attachment 730045
The view from the top of our last steep climb of the day.

Why do so many Welsh words look like they are acronyms?
I mean

1715097529680.png
for goodness sake. It looks like a shite scrabble hand.
PS. I lived in Wales for two years as a kid and had to take Welsh classes at school. I never did get my head around that language.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Why do so many Welsh words look like they are acronyms?
I mean

View attachment 730046 for goodness sake. It looks like a shite scrabble hand.
PS. I lived in Wales for two years as a kid and had to take Welsh classes at school. I never did get my head around that language.

I expect that English looks just as weird for those who don't know it.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A couple of rides to mention over the bank holiday weekend in the Yorkshire Dales.
Met up with two friends Martin & Gaynor for a bit of leisurely riding.
The first was a little eventful. During the ride I noticed that Gaynor’s rear tyre was worn out, threads showing and tube bulging!
About a mile or two later it went pop, sounded like a gun going off.
We pondered what to do, a quick call to the nearest bike shop in Bedale 7 miles away, we told them what we wanted but they were closing at 2pm, this was at around 1.40pm. We left Gaynor and dashed off to the bike shop getting there at about 2.15pm and they’d stayed open for us!
Respect and thank you to Cycleworx 360 in Aiskew near Bedale. Goods purchased and back to Gaynor to fit the new tyre and tube.

A couple of great rides, 30.4 miles on Saturday and 27.5 miles on Sunday and the rain held off both days.

IMG_9691.jpeg

IMG_9692.jpeg

IMG_9654.jpeg

IMG_9647.jpeg

IMG_9640.jpeg

IMG_9644.jpeg

IMG_9637.jpeg

IMG_9651.jpeg

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Heat! And the Flies. And those damn incessant drums! Well, no drums apart from Cozy Powell’s Na Na Na Na as an earworm .

Anyway a nice hot day for a utility ride to Abingdon for the Fragrant MrsP, she need some stuff from the electric wholesalers.

A non eventful ride on the Whyte hybrid with two panniers and mainly following route 5 from Didcot to Abingdon, riding on quit a bit of traffic free paths or quiet lanes.

My route was mostly an out and back but I had a minor detour to a garage to get sandwich because I was losing energy.

Just over 21 miles today.
IMG_5221.jpeg

Along side Didcot Power Station.
IMG_5222.jpeg

No more cooling towers.
IMG_5223.jpeg

Destination.
IMG_5224.jpeg

Quite an interesting wall.

Attachments

• IMG_5225.jpeg
    IMG_5225.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 2

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Am between jobs, so after a morning of polishing the CV and applying for a rather nice-looking contract, I popped out for a short ride, with just the plan of bagging two Veloviewer map tiles quite close to home. They would involve some bridleway cycling, which was no issue - I was in the frame of mind for quiet traffic-free routes, so headed out of Leatherhead, crossing the Roman Road (Stane Street) and winding my way up onto the Epsom Downs.
1715277596642.png

1715277630415.png

1715277656038.png

On a narrow but long straight road with good visibility, I saw a camper van in the distance. I pulled into the side and waited for it to approach and pass. It slowed right down, and the driver muttered that "Hivis would be a good idea" as she couldn't see me in the dappled shade. I switched my front light on after that, and it was only a minute later, I remembered I had a new jersey on; it's not exactly camouflaged.
1715277792462.png

Christ, look at the chin on that. Jimmy Hill!

The Mogador/Reigate Hill area saw some warnings of wildlife:
1715277931248.png

Well, I'm not sure exactly what this next one means.
1715277959531.png

Across a golf course, and then into muddy woodland that eventually opened up onto the view south from Colley Hill/Reigate Hill.
1715278029546.png

And a rather funky folly thing.
1715278077704.png

Looking West along the South Downs ridge. Box Hill and possibly Leith Hill in sight.
1715278235971.png

Had forgotten there was a fort up on Reigate Hill. Something to do with protection against the marauding French. And there was some nice flowers in the grounds.
1715278356589.png

Would have loved cycling down Reigate Hill on the A217 (haven't done that for years), but instead I opted for a steep bridleway which was a stupid idea, more than a bit hairy, and not at all fun - although I did see a deer crossing in front of me.
The rest of the ride was fairly tedious, there was a puncture, and then a diversion up the Box Hill zigzag for an Ice Cream at the top before winding my way home, and about 4 phone calls along the way with a recruitment agency. But no job yet.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
So after feeling crap for 6 weeks with a weird virus I then went and got myself pleurisy. That was fun.

So this afternoon I went for a ride. Being that it’s a tad hilly around the here parts I decided to do 3/4 of the coast loop and back again which gives a longer ride.

I was really pleased that my lungs felt fairly good.

I stopped to ogle at the orchids which was a nice excuse to stop in the sunshine.

At Carswell farm the gates were across the road to get the cows in and that was the perfect place to retrace my steps.

15 miles. I felt good which is a relief!

https://www.strava.com/activities/11370698423

IMG_1439.jpeg

IMG_1440.jpeg

IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1444.jpeg

IMG_1445.jpeg

IMG_1446.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wednesday: Gav had arranged to come and meet with Doug and I for a gentle evening ride. Although the Raleigh would have been favourite for this ride I used the Hawk again as I've just redone the lacing on the saddle and wanted to test it.
The weather was really nice for a ride being warm with a light wind so it was great to get out and enjoy it. We started off heading up Lyth Hill then dropped down to Hunger Hill where the crop growing in the field by the junction is now obscuring visibility and made pulling out to cross the A49 a bit nerve wracking.

After passing through Condover we headed for Ryton where I noticed my bar tape on the right hand side was starting to unravel. It's at the wrong end to fix easily so will have to be rewrapped on that side. We rode to Berriewood next. one of the outbuildings seems to have been demolished at the stables since I was last here. The descent back to Condover was swift and fun as ever then we took Lyons Lane and, with a bit of a tailwind, got along at a brisk sociable pace.

Heading for Weeping Cross we enjoyed the gentle downhill for much of it but got baulked at Betton by a van manouvering. We parted from Gav at the usual spot then Doug and I headed back expecting a bit of a headwind but finding that actually we were quicker than usual.

14.7 miles at 13.1 mph average. Strava says 758 feet of climbing. Surprisingly the Hawk feels like a different bike after relacing the saddle - I'd tried to do without when the laces broke recently but it made my hip hurt so this Spa Nidd really does need the sides secured.

20240508_180939.jpg

20240508_180943.jpg

20240508_180958.jpg

Some snaps taken at Lyth Hill.

Yesterday (Thursday): The morning wasn't brilliant so it was good to have a chance to get out after lunch and enjoy the warmth and sunshine. I took the Raleigh this time and headed for Condover the flat way to start then Hunger Hill and Exford's Green. This bike feels so fast after the Hawk anyway but with its new tyres on has an extra bit of pep so I really enjoyed being able to push on. Not far from Plealey another rider popped out from a junction on my left without even a glance to see what was coming from his right - it was a minor thing to adjust my line but I may have made a comment about taking a look.

The good progress continued through Pontesbury to Minsterley where I did have a minor hold up due to traffic. I had a light headwind to Westbury and Halfway House but it was hardly noticable to be honest - not often that happens.
When I reached Coedwy there was surface dressing in progress so another hold up as the traffic queued through the works. They are making a far better job of it than Shropshire Council could manage.

The lanes past Melverley, The Royal Hill and Pentre were good fun (apart from a bit of a rough surface developing at Cae Howell). The nice weather had brought out some classic cars and I saw two MGAs and an Austin-Healey 3000.

After Montford Bridge I thought that taking the roads to Bowbrook would be good for keeping the average speed up so went that way en route to Meole Brace. There were another couple of hold ups at Mousecroft though due to too much traffic on too narrow a lane. This area is being heavily developed at the moment so it's probably not going to be an improving situation unfortunately. Reaching the new junction currently being put in on Hereford Road I found that the cycle path alongside has been closed off for the next stage of work and a contraflow for cycles and pedestrians put out onto the new tarmac - a nice bit of smooth riding. It would be good if the new cycle path surface is as good but I'm not holding my breath.

37.6 miles at 15.8 mph average. 1453 feet of climbing. It was great to get out on this bike again. I'm liking the new setup: The new tyres do roll well, feel reassuring in the corners and give a decent ride. The shorter cranks are making a difference too - I feel like I can push on harder for longer without straining anything.

20240509_144706.jpg

20240509_144818.jpg

A glorious day for riding! Photos taken between Halfway House and Prince's Oak.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another lovely day.
I got the road bike out today, I wanted to go to Wantage to the TREK dealer to buy some specific bar tape and also ask the blokes advice about my bike.
Although I went on the road bike, 90% of the riding was off road along paved or hard pack traffic free route.

The weather was really nice, and it was nice to be out on the Domane, it doesn’t get a lot of use since I got the Brompton. Anyway it’s a lovely bike, it rides well, even though I expect it’s a bit big for me.
Some photos.
IMG_5228.jpeg

Icknield Way.
IMG_5229.jpeg

New Bridge over a stream.
IMG_5230.jpeg

IMG_5233.jpeg

Just over 18 miles today.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Despite staying up late last night watching the aurora, I got up bright and early this morning for my first holiday ride. We are staying in a lodge just to the NE of Keith in Morayshire, and this morning was meant to be just a little potter around to get my bearings in the immediate vicinity. At one point I was going to ride around the local hill called the "Knock", but I ended up just ad-libbing and going wherever I felt like going. Before I knew it I had arrived in a nice little village called Fordyce and I was too close to the coast not to ride into Cullen. So I did. Then took the more direct route back, along the opposite side of the valley. Great sunny weather and fantastic empty roads everywhere. Great cycling country. A few photos:
P1050460.JPG

P1050461.JPG

P1050466.JPG

P1050468.JPG

P1050470.JPG

P1050472.JPG

Arriving back at the lodge:
P1050473.JPG

I took some OS Explorer maps with me, but managed to get by navigating from a photocopy from an AA road atlas without getting lost. It was a close thing, though, as I passed countless unsigned junctions with roads that were not shown on the map, and it turns out that while only about six or seven villages appeared on the map, two of them were called Berryhillock! A shot of my trusty "Flatnav":
P1050474.JPG

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
On a lads holiday in Gran Canaria. Decided to hire a bike for the last couple of days.
Chose a 30 mile out and back, off ride with GPS. Basically a climb of just over 12 miles to Soria and back from Arguinegan. Set off at 8:30am to avoid the midday sun.
The first 8 miles of the climb were pretty relaxed 2 or 3%.....then it got brutal 4 miles of switchbacks with gradients of upto 18% averaging close to 10%. Surprised myself by overtaking a couple of riders going up and not being overtaken by anyone. Currently a couple of stone over my old race weight so a long way off being a svelt grimpeur.
Outstanding views and an ice lolly at the top offset some of the pain. Then a very technical descent (where I did get overtaken) for the first few miles, saw an Ineos rider getting very angry because he had a puncture.
Back to the apartment before 11am.
Will wait to see if I have recovered to do an equally challenging ride tomorrow.
PXL_20240511_081058493.jpg

PXL_20240511_085556688.jpg

Top Bottom