Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
3 rides in 3 days!

This one included the Westlake climb. 20% at its steepest and my chest felt fine and clear, I think it’s out of condition legs!

The ride resembled a tadpole, and maybe one day I’ll turn into a frog… or a prince.

Most likely a frog!

16 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11385822692

IMG_1466.jpeg

IMG_1467.jpeg

IMG_1469.jpeg

IMG_1470.jpeg

IMG_1471.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A utility ride today on the hybrid.
I needed to go to the supermarket, which is about 3 miles away, I went the slightly longer way across the footpath along the field to Blewbury, and then along the mostly quiet countryside lanes via Aston Tirrold, South Moreton, the hamlet of Fulscot then to the edge of Didcot, to my destination.
After purchasing my goods I rode home via the Hagbournes and then along the old railway line back to Upton.
A total of 10.5 miles and another lovely day.

IMG_5235.jpeg

Loads of thatched cottages in South Moreton.
IMG_5237.jpeg

I’ve ridden past this track loads of times, but I never noticed it was a bridleway before today.
IMG_5238.jpeg

I’m going to investigate it one day.

IMG_5239.jpeg

They were not best pleased to see me. I startled them, and in the process startled myself.
IMG_5240.jpeg

My bike on a bridge of the old railway looking towards The Ridgeway.
IMG_5241.jpeg

Partial map.

EDIT: I also wanted to test my new Quadlock holder and case.
IMG_2627.jpeg

Last edited:
Second ride on the 'new' Scott, with the bars much higher than before. Definite improvement, but might need tweaking elsewhere now, particularly in terms of saddle. Not sure a Spoon is the right seat for the more upright position? However, difficult to tell, as my nether regions are still far too tender!
This makes my total for the past two rides greater than the whole of 2023! Progress!
Max HR = 132 according to spiffy Huawei watch donated by my older son.
Screenshot (2).png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A ride with my brother today. He'd already been out running so when I tentatively suggested a ride as well was surprised that he said yes. I suggested one of my regular routes of about 24 miles and he agreed.

This was the clockwise version of my longer Acton Burnell route. We took the direct route to Condover and despite the fact that it should have been a headwind, we got along at a sprightly pace and that continued along Lyons Lane. We got overtaken by a club group then met another one stopped near Berrington Hall. I took Doug to Cross Houses and along the A458 for a short stretch - it was a little busier than I'd have liked but we did at least get a decent gap in the traffic just at the right moment to take our next junction.

We met the group from Berrington again at Cound Stank (they had clearly been via Eaton Mascott) and they were headed our way so we rode with them through Cound. They were rather slow at the start of the climb to Harnage so Doug's competitive instincts kicked in and we overtook most of the group only for him to run out of steam part way up. They were stopped again at the top of the hill so we got in front anyway and we didn't see them again.
A tailwind along the straight to Cound Moor was nice to have and by not pushing too hard Doug did much better on the next climb heading to Acton Burnell.

From here the ride became a bit more stop-start; partly due to a few drink stops but mostly because the bins were being collected in this area and we kept on coming up against the wagons, among other traffic through Frodesley, Longnor and up to Ryton. We didn't have holdups on the way back to Condover and had a bit of wind assistance on the run back to the A49.

23.6 miles at 13.5 mph average. 1014 feet of climbing. Great to get out on another warm sunny day. Doug was disappointed not to have gone a bit quicker. Plenty of other cyclists out today which is good to see.

20240511_112909.jpg

Just the one snap today from near Ryton.

The usual Saturday group ride for me today. I had a delayed extreme reaction to the CT Dye in my scan last week; which saw me loose 8lb (3.6kg or 5% of my body weight
:scream:
). I should have at least been extra cautious as they ‘were using a new dye’. It happens to 2% of scan apparently
:neutral_face:
So this was my ride in a bit. It felt harder than it should have been
:neutral_face:

One positive we were pretty early and got to the cafe in Oundle way before two larger groups turned up.

1715461587383.png

1715461644233.png

Mike_P

Guru
Sunny warm Saturday and the Defy emerged from the bike shed after another nearly 3 month hibernation. Stripped of its mudguards I ran into an issue with the Garmin 530, which despite having been plugged into the same lead that had charged the Varia, remained at 6% charge level. A change of lead resolved that but it was the case of fitting the Defy with a Wahoo mount which delayed the ride.
Headed north via the B6161 and A61, noticeably quiet despite some event at Ripley which normally means standing traffic from Killinghall. A clear indication of how much traffic is normally present that is Trans-Pennine in nature and absent due to the on-going closure of the A59 at Cote de Blubberhouses.
Paused at Worrmald Green and took photo of the old station for the Rail Enthusiast thread.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-rail-enthusiast-thread.130375/page-237#post-7196692
Further on, just pass the location of the overlarge puddle that caused Johan Price-Pejtersen to do all three triathlon disciplines at the same time in the Mens U23 time trail in 2019, the chain and chainring had a disagreement. Playing the video back probably rider error in attempting to change going so fast upgrade. Use made of a latex glove out of the saddle bag, had the same issue with my ebike in the morning on its morning shopping trip and that was an oily finger job.
Into Ripon I made a easterly loop to the Market Place, going down the side of the Cathedral on a narrow road normally one way but signed as temporarily two way. That took me pass the Grade II* St Angnes House, dating from 1693, with its circular windows and normally obstructed to some degree by parked vehicles.
1715509853856.png

In the Market Place I grabbed a photo of the bike forward of The Unicorn Hotel for the pub ABC challenge thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/abc-of-pubs-and-cafes-2024.295234/page-12#post-7196689
and resided on a bench for a snack. Then followed the Way of the Roses to Bishop Monkton; the exit from the Market Place takes you along a brick paved road which gets no awards for smoothness with a vista of the Cathedral ahead.
1715509839469.png

Through Littlethorpe road closed signs were partially a concern but it turned out to be a large hole with plenty of room to cycle pass. From Bishop Monkton headed to Burton Leonard where the roads around the village green had been loose chipped and the skid risk sign was all too true as I turned onto a village green path to head to a bench for a further snack; kept the bike upright.
Thence to Knaresborough where using the Elemnt Bolt without altering its display settings backfired as it had no cadence display set. As such on the climb away from High Bridge I mistakenly changed to the biggest cog too earlier. Realising my error changed down but with the decreased speed and the steeper incline of the cycle path meaning back on the bigger cog I paused on the false flat beyond before tackling the remainder. 28.82 miles 1435ft climbed 12.9mph avg
1715509928318.png

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Out on the bike for the first time in a while. Took the Electric Brommie out for a spin, with Mrs Tkk on her Purple Brommie " Jennifer ".
I clicked the battery into place and it went through it's self test, then I went in to grab a jacket just in case. By the time I was ready to ride the battery had powered down automatically, so I left it switched off. A lovely ride down into Poole around the Holes bay cycle path, round the back of the RNLI headquarters and along the quay where we stopped for coffee and cake and a indulged in a bit of people watching, before heading across Baiter and back to Holes Bay. I stopped and offered Mr Baden-Powell the use of my bike but he seemed unmoved. The Brompton Electric is quite a chunky beast but rides just like a non electric brommie when unpowered, with the weight of the battery making the steering a bit less twitchy than it can be.

IMG_5633.JPG

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP and I had a ride to the farm shop and back to get a Farm Made ice cream, a ten mile loop in total, no photos today, The Fragrant MrsP, doesn’t like to keep stopping when she’s on a ride. She was happy though, earlier we managed to fix some gear and creaking issues she had on her bike.

Nice out today, very warm, but some impatient A holes on the road because the A 34 is shut southbound so they’re having to divert.

Still, a ride is a ride and it was nice to be out on the road bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Actually had a ride partner today :smile: , well someone i have ridden with on and off for a least 10 years but he had a break due to injury a couple of years ago so he hasnt done any group riding as he lost his bottle .Phil the hill ( guess why hes about 9 stone wet through and flies up gradients ) is a bit older than me but he certainly still has the fitness to keep up and although he didnt take a turn at the front i just enjoyed having someone to ride with and a chat about bike things at the coffee stop at acorns in hinckley
1715520010376.png

geocycle

Legendary Member
Lovely weather this morning with storms forecast later. Got up with the blackbirds and headed into a light easterly to Ingleton, then up the Hawes road to Ribblehead. Slightly hazy but fantastic wildflowers along the roadsides. On arrival at the viaduct I was greeted with road closed signs but decided to continue and take a chance. I eventually found the team working who were removing cats eyes. Im not a cat lover although thought this was a bit harsh. Anyway they let me through and I climbed to Newby head before descending steeply down into Dentdale. The single track road that follows the rock bed of the River Dee deters vehicles and the flora was fabulous. I’d hoped to see dippers but did get pied and grey wagtail. Had a coffee in Dent then climbed up Gawthrop and down Barbondale to Kirby Lonsdale. Another stop at the bakery before heading home. 105 km with 1200 m of climbing.

Pictures of Ribblehead, Denthead viaduct and a bridge over the river Dee.

IMG_0521.jpeg

IMG_0522.jpeg

IMG_0523.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
With storms forecast I thought it would be good to get some miles in while the weather was still fabulous. The Raleigh was used and I set out with the intention of making this one a fairly chilled ride. That lasted for all of 5 miles through Cound, Ryton and part of the way to Longnor before I found I was enjoying it too much to hold back.:shy:

Through Frodesley to Acton Burnell was a little harder going than I thought as the wind was against me. At least I wasn't having to stop for a vehicle every few minutes like yesterday. After Cound Moor I headed for Cressage and met a couple of vehicles on the narrow bits. Neither seemed very keen on letting a cyclist by but the first of them didn't even slow down.:dry:

Reaching Cressage I enjoyed the new tarmac over the bridge and started the climb to Eaton Constantine. I had an overtake from a Tesla on the approach to a blind corner and I'm not sure how they avoided wiping themselves out on the Audi that came the other way. I was therefore fairly glad that the road got quieter after the Buildwas junction. The only rider to overtake me today came past while I was stopped for a photo at Eaton Constantine - he'd have gone past me regardless being on a lighter bike and going like a train.
I could see another rider ahead and slowly caught up on the way to Uppington, not getting past before reaching my left turning. He turned off to the right at the same junction - no shoulder check or indication of his intentions. Good job I'm not the sort to overtake at a junction but others might.

As hoped, when I reached Bluebell Lane the riding became fast and flowing. It seemed easy to keep up a nice cruising speed and the climbs weren't a problem through Atcham, Cross Houses, Berrington and back to Condover before the final dash up to the main road.

34.2 miles at 16mph average - so much for the chilled ride.:laugh: Strava says 1393 feet of climbing. Great to get out in some really good weather and good to see so many other riders doing the same. At the time of writing the thunderstorms haven't arrived yet but there are dark clouds to the west and the south

20240512_102205.jpg

A hazy view to the Stretton hills from Ryton.

20240512_104438.jpg

Acton Burnell.

20240512_110014.jpg

Shore Lane on my way to Cressage.

20240512_111146.jpg

20240512_111249.jpg

A couple of views from Eaton Constantine.

20240512_113556.jpg

Withington.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Out on the road bike again today, with a vague plan of tile-hunting to feed my new "interest" (obsession?) on veloviewer.
I did throw a route into my garmin, but kept ignoring it and cycling places that looked nice, so it wasn't an efficient way to capture tiles, plus it all got a bit slow, I ended up at the wrong railway line, missed a train home by seconds, and got home late which wasn't received well because we have visitors arriving shortly.
Along the way I went through Newdigate, and popped in to Bob's for a sausage roll. Bob gave me my first job in 1982, delivering papers. He still works there although not today.
1715530650949.png

It was beautiful out there today.

1715530708294.png

I took the Fridays route from Rusper to Faygate and up Tower Hill, but rather than take the direct way to Hammer Pond, I turne west and descended into Horsham, explored round there a while, before winding my way to Crawley.
Earlier in the week I'd been exploring a tiny lane that ended up being a private driveway and a public footpath. Today I followed another, definitely marked as a bridleway; it had a posh school....
1715531104408.png

Alas, the school marked the end of the asphalt, and I continued on rubble, dry mud and then wet mud for a bit longer, before progress was halted by something that seemed like a motorway. Backtracked and found another way via a tunnel underneath, and then into the new town of Crawley. It's not a particularly nice place, but in places it's seeing investment and improvement. Went into a park for a few minutes but it was quite busy and I needed to get home.

Wound my way to Three Bridges station, where I had missed a good train, but caught another as as far as Redhill. It would be as quick to cycle as it would to ride home, so I wound my way through Reigate and then onto the A25, where I put the hammer down. The tarmac was incredibly hot after several days of sun - the Garmin recorded as high as 90 F along there.
I did the next 7 miles at 19mph, finished my drink and went slightly purple, so slowed right down for the final 4 miles home.

The stats: 53 miles, 3 hr 41 mins (moving time); which is 14.5 mph average.
And filled in 4 annoying tiles on Veloviewer.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Holiday ride No.2 and my bike has developed a fault. Just can't get the front derailleur to shift onto the big ring. Never mind, barely needed it today anyway. Quite a lumpy ride along the coast of the Moray Firth from Cullen to Garmouth, with a straight re-trace to get the magnificent views twice. Mostly into the wind for the return leg, so I'd have been in middle gear most of the time anyway. Parked for free in the beach car park just beyond Cullen, and started my ride by climbing up the hill into town to get some photos:
106.Back in Cullen.JPG

108..JPG

.... before turning tail to head off westwards along the coast. First stop Portnockie, where I chatted with a local who had been watching a minke whale just off the coast yesterday .... just after my wife and I had left!
111..JPG

Then onwards to Findochty, which was hilly to get back out of in both directions, but well worth the effort:
113.View of Findochty.JPG

115..JPG

Next came the fishing town of Buckie:
118..JPG

.... before I headed off to the Scottish Dolphin Centre at Spey Bay. I hadn't brought my binoculars with me, so didn't hang around today. Saw a few dolphins there yesterday though. On the way there, near Nether Dallachy, I came across a curious road name, "Beaufighter Road", and assumed there must have been an R.A.F.Coastal Command airfield around there during the war. Came round a corner and spotted this:
120.From Beaufighter Road.JPG

121.Spey Bay.JPG

Having studied my OS Explorer map avidly, I had discovered that just down the road, a part of NCN1 crosses the River Spey via an old railway viaduct, so I headed off to find it and cross the river to Garmouth.
123..JPG

I do like my bridges and ferries. There's something about crossing water. This was a beautiful crossing, well worth doing in both directions. There was plenty of white water flowing over a pebble stream, making quite a racket. A couple of swans flew over as I was crossing, and a man was swimming in the fast flowing deeper bits of the river with his husky. I carried on for another half a mile just to get to a place with a fabulous name before turning around. Unfortunately the little hamlet of "Wife O'Beath", although shown on my Explorer map, did not have any place sign for a photo op. Did a straight retrace, largely into the wind on my return leg. This had been a tourist ride with lots of photo stops and no functioning big chain ring, so I was not displeased to complete the 33.1 miles in 4 hours 15 mins. Timed it quite well really, as I'd had to drive 10 miles to get to the (free) beach car park at Cullen, and to drive back again afterwards. Turned up at the lodge at exactly 12.00 just as I'd told the missus I would. Mind you, the eagle eyed among you might just notice the complete lack of photos from the return leg. I had been shifting myself as fast as I could on the middle chain ring. Another fantastic ride. Great scenery, very little traffic. In fact, on the A492 on the way out I could have chosen which side of the road I wanted to ride on, it was so quiet. Well worth the long drive to get to this part of the world.

Last edited:
Lol, one of those mornings where I’d forget my head if it wasn’t attached to my shoulders. About 5mins after going to bed last night I realised I had forgotten to fill my bottle. Remembered that in the morning (the bottle fill) but I think I was too occupied with what to wear. Any exposure to the breeze makes my hands and feet go numb, even on a good day. But it was forecast to be hot and sunny and on a gravel bike there’s not much breeze
:thinking:
So went with shorts and short sleeves from the start.

I was about to head out the door when I realised I had forgotten the HRM, no time for that. Then I realised I had forgotten to charge the Garmin, no time for that either. After I locked the front door I noticed the front wheel had went down overnight, back in for a track pump. Pumped the tyre up and cycled off to the meet. I got half way down the street when I realised I had forgotten my sunglasses. I prefer eye protection so I doubled back for them. After collecting them I was a bit further down the street when I realised I only had a pump and a tube, no tyre levers, CO2 cannister or multi tool. No time to double back yet again I thought and Id have to rely on the sealant doing its job. Thankfully on hindsight it did.

So that gave me little time to get to the meet, so I threw caution to the wind and went at a stupid pace along the bridleways to the meet.

Screenshot_20240512-161011_Strava

Had a blast with one of my mates for around 30miles. I was energy spent so I had a cafe stop. I had intended to go straight home, but I decided it was too nice and went for a bit of a bimble.

20240512_103456
20240512_103545
20240512_103600

Top Bottom