Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
After a pretty objectively horrible week I was glad of a 10ish mile egg run on the Ragley; which while failing to address any of the key issues I should have been dealing with instead has made me feel significantly better in myself.

An absolutely beautiful autumn day to be out and one I make no apologies for capitalising on given the marked benefit to my mental health.

Hopefully a bit better fortified now to wade through some of the insurmountable accumulation of crap I've been putting off for far too long..

IMG_20260926_121228.jpg
 

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
After a pretty objectively horrible week I was glad of a 10ish mile egg run on the Ragley; which while failing to address any of the key issues I should have been dealing with instead has made me feel significantly better in myself.

An absolutely beautiful autumn day to be out and one I make no apologies for capitalising on given the marked benefit to my mental health.

Hopefully a bit better fortified now to wade through some of the insurmountable accumulation of crap I've been putting off for far too long..

View attachment 822844

Looks fun ! Sometimes; you just have to put you and the immediate; at the front of the queue hey…….
 

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
Looks fun ! Sometimes; you just have to put you and the immediate; at the front of the queue hey…….

Thanks and yes - I've learned to prioritise rides when I can as getting out is usually so beneficial.

That bit's probably less fun than it looks since it's looking back from where I'd come and the grad tops out at about 14%..

Was glad to find some eggs outside the village; avoiding the farmer's market and correspondingly high density of smugly self-superior, self-important dickheads who slowly seem to be consuming this village like a cancer..
 

Elybazza61

Legendary Member
Got out for a bumble today mostly to make sure the fettling I did earlier this week was all ok.

Set out a bit late as we woke up later this morning but still quiet Sunday back roads mostly, got out along Hundred Foot bank towards Welney and decided the bars were a bit low so stopped at the pumping station to do an adjustment.

IMG_7525.jpeg


IMG_7526.jpeg


Set off again and felt comfier so all good and went through Welney, and Tipps End until,,,,,


,,,,Approaching the junction to head towards Manea I noticed that the Garmin wasn't registering speed or distance :angry: to realise I must have accidentally stopped it when making the adjustments:banghead::wacko::rolleyes:.

So after some swearing carried on through Manea to Chatteris and have a snack stop and some photos to give the ride it's title.

IMG_7527.jpeg


IMG_7528.jpeg


A quick mis-direction then out on London road to Somersham before turning off on Horseley Fen Middle Drove to Sutton Gault and the village of Sutton In The Isle itself, this was were the increasing winds made their presence felt so slow progress before a quick photo stop at the Gault.

IMG_7529.jpeg


Plus some horses by the river.

IMG_7530.jpeg


Then home via the cycle path along side the A142.

So only 52k recorded instead of around 65.

The ride and the reason for the Chatteris stop and pics.

IMG_7531.PNG
 

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Location
Northern Germany
A glorious autumn day with temperatures in the high twenties, I was able to make the most of the weather and head over to Wolfsburg on a lovely gravel route. The trail winds its way through nature reserves and forests, keeping away from civilisation which gives it a real wild and remote feeling. At times the gravel is perfect smooth fire roads, then the bike is like a jack hammer as I pass over rough stony ways and then it bucks and slides over sandy loam with tires dancing on the edge of traction.

IMG_20260927_115636378_HDR.jpg


IMG_20260927_135745582_HDR.jpg


IMG_20260927_134006997_HDR.jpg


A cry overhead draws my attention to a Buzzard circling and then later a small herd of Red Deer are grazing, the Stag watching attentively. Some trees have already started turning and at one point a strange vine with the deepest red leaves is entwined around it's host trees, the colours vivid and otherworldly in the sunlight. After a final battle with a strong headwind the ride ends in Wolfsburg with 72 km on the computer, this will probably be the last hot ride of the year, but what a ride to enjoy the last of the heat.

IMG_20260927_140833231_HDR.jpg


IMG_20260927_141936144_HDR.jpg


IMG_20260927_143844177_HDR.jpg
 

Andy in Germany

Legendary Member
A glorious autumn day with temperatures in the high twenties, I was able to make the most of the weather and head over to Wolfsburg on a lovely gravel route. The trail winds its way through nature reserves and forests, keeping away from civilisation which gives it a real wild and remote feeling. At times the gravel is perfect smooth fire roads, then the bike is like a jack hammer as I pass over rough stony ways and then it bucks and slides over sandy loam with tires dancing on the edge of traction.

View attachment 823058

View attachment 823059

View attachment 823057

A cry overhead draws my attention to a Buzzard circling and then later a small herd of Red Deer are grazing, the Stag watching attentively. Some trees have already started turning and at one point a strange vine with the deepest red leaves is entwined around it's host trees, the colours vivid and otherworldly in the sunlight. After a final battle with a strong headwind the ride ends in Wolfsburg with 72 km on the computer, this will probably be the last hot ride of the year, but what a ride to enjoy the last of the heat.

View attachment 823055

View attachment 823054

View attachment 823056

Lovely. The landscape in the north of the country is very different to here... Which canal/river was that?
 

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Location
Northern Germany
Lovely. The landscape in the north of the country is very different to here... Which canal/river was that?

It's the Elbe Seitenkanal, to quote from Wikipedia

"The Elbe Lateral Canal, is a 115-kilometre long canal in Lower Saxony, Germany. It runs from the Mittelland Canal near Gifhorn to the Elbe in Artlenburg. It forms an important transport connection between southern and northern Germany, and it provides a bypass of a section of the Elbe with limited navigability."

The landscape here is quite unique, it doesn't have the wow factor of an Alpine region, but it has its own unique character that I've really grown to like. It especially lends itself to exploration by gravel bike.
 

Elybazza61

Legendary Member
Got out with the BH today for a 30k-ish pootle out to the village of Mepal and along the New Bedford river track and back via Pymoor and Little Downham.

Nice 18 degrees with a light breeze although as it's the fens the gusts felt stronger, BH happy with the new/old Avid brakes on her Kona so will just need a little bit of tinkering at some point.

Track looking back towards Mepal.

DSC_2681.JPG


And the other way.

DSC_2682.JPG


You can just make out the Cathedral in the distance.

DSC_2683.JPG


BH's Kona.

DSC_2684.JPG


My Stayer OG.

DSC_2685.JPG


End of the track.

DSC_2687.JPG


The river itself and railway bridge looking North .

DSC_2688.JPG





IMG_7535.PNG
 
Been riding plenty since I last posted but I'll not spam you with everything, just my two rides today. It was an unusual east, south, easterly so that dictated a ride to a new cafe. The area behind Haughton Mill to the new cafe, Knawtybites, was beautiful.
Screenshot_20260929_231013_Strava.jpg


20260929_120910.jpg


20260929_120916.jpg


20260929_120920.jpg


20260929_120928.jpg


20260929_121717.jpg


20260929_124228.jpg




20260929_124242.jpg


20260929_124316.jpg


View: https://youtu.be/iwGmw3_UxS4


View: https://youtu.be/pgPffGSHQCI


View: https://youtu.be/t0-qHlF0omg


View: https://youtu.be/D6JotokEvs4


View: https://youtu.be/g-WwpKVSOWE

https://youtu.be/-P3LuwoLlZo
https://youtu.be/tmiMLRJstAE
https://youtu.be/PkJwMZ34g88


I wasn't going to bother with this evenings ride but the group admin posted it was the last of the year.

Screenshot_20260929_231226_Strava.jpg
 
Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
We hired a couple of e‑bikes today from Fort Mason, a decision made, I suspect, in a moment of misplaced optimism, and pedalled off towards the Golden Gate Bridge. In Sausalito we stopped for an ice cream, which announced itself, with some justification, as the best in the world. It was certainly the best thing about the expedition.

I’ve always thought I ought to cycle across that famous bridge, as if it were one of those experiences that confers character, like cold baths or your first orgasm, In the event it was rather less ennobling: a great many pedestrians, all apparently intent on walking in the most inconvenient direction possible, and a noise that suggested the entire structure was being shaken in a tin. Still, one feels obliged to do these things. Box ticked. I shan’t be troubling it again.

I didn’t take any photographs. There are already quite enough pictures of that bridge, all of them taken by people with more patience and better shoes. Instead, I offer a map, the sort of durable evidence favoured by geography teachers and people who keep their receipts.

Just over 13 miles if you are interested.

IMG_1164.jpeg
 
We hired a couple of e‑bikes today from Fort Mason, a decision made, I suspect, in a moment of misplaced optimism, and pedalled off towards the Golden Gate Bridge. In Sausalito we stopped for an ice cream, which announced itself, with some justification, as the best in the world. It was certainly the best thing about the expedition.

I’ve always thought I ought to cycle across that famous bridge, as if it were one of those experiences that confers character, like cold baths or your first orgasm, In the event it was rather less ennobling: a great many pedestrians, all apparently intent on walking in the most inconvenient direction possible, and a noise that suggested the entire structure was being shaken in a tin. Still, one feels obliged to do these things. Box ticked. I shan’t be troubling it again.

I didn’t take any photographs. There are already quite enough pictures of that bridge, all of them taken by people with more patience and better shoes. Instead, I offer a map, the sort of durable evidence favoured by geography teachers and people who keep their receipts.

Just over 13 miles if you are interested.

View attachment 823251

Did you visit Alcatraz? - can remember that as a highlight of my trip back in '88.
Always thought SF a better destination than LA. SF seemed a lot easier to navigate by foot than the sprawling, car dominated LA.
Daresay if I ever went back I'd do some leccy tours round, makes sense as you get older, especially on them thar hills :okay:
 

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Did you visit Alcatraz? - can remember that as a highlight of my trip back in '88.
Always thought SF a better destination than LA. SF seemed a lot easier to navigate by foot than the sprawling, car dominated LA.
Daresay if I ever went back I'd do some leccy tours round, makes sense as you get older, especially on them thar hills :okay:
Literally just got in from visiting Alcatraz, I too visited it in ‘88. This visit made the place seem starker than I remember it from last time.

I agree it is a lot easier to walk around BUT they now have autonomous cars, such fun. Here’s a video of our first trip in one from a couple of days ago.

View: https://youtu.be/loYcTJ20FS4?is=RwpGflg1Upvi9UWA
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom