Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
30 miler. Was planning to try to attack Mount Tamalpais, but despite having a Garmin, it never told me where to turn off, so i kept going 10 miles in the wrong direction http://connect.garmin.com/activity/69502482. Ah well. Still got a few good hills in.

Put the Muvi onto my helmet properly after having it over a year, so managed to get a short vid. If you've never rode the Golden Gate Bridge, this is kinda what it looks like. Usually it's about 20x busier with tourists and cyclists, but was relatively chilly out today.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phv2QOElrmc

Tollers

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Tonight on the ride, the sky was dark & 'full of stars' the weather was mild & the ride theraputic, sometimes it all just falls into place ...

Saddle bum

Über Member
Oh what joy, sun and bearable temperatures.

I never fail to be amazed at the difference a "good" day makes to a ride. Temps at 11-13deg with no wind to speak of and I fairly sailed along. Freshly cleaned chain meant a silent smooth ride and it was a real pleasure to be out rather than a duty.

Pity that the roads are like a bomb site and covered in grit, I have faith that the local council will fill them all in quick time so we can have a nice smooth summer. (This boy's a fool.)

Its really windy here but there is a strange yellow thing in the sky, so I decided to get my self out. Despite being on the heavy hybrid I got a bit carried away (24 miles in total) and couldn't resist going up Knockhill; knowing after I rounded it I'd have the wind nearly behind me along the undulating but straightish Carnock Road and coming into the town on a slight downhill I found my self hitting 32mph. Why did I abstain from cycling its too much fun :-)

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
33 windy miles. Does anyone suffer from lack of 'grit' when the winds heavily against you and you've got maybe 10 miles more to do before you swing round and get the tailwind...i know i do :whistle: . Sometimes i get to a certain point and think...stuff it, shall i take a short cut and blow the mileage. I persevered and didnt give in, but it's hovering there in my mind sometimes.

Only noteable sight was a Kestrel perched in some bushes about 10 ft away...then you really see the lovely plumage close up...

Still, quiet roads, nice not to have to layer up, mildish...a good ride.

After my 24 mile yesterday on the hybrid I decided to get the road bike out (it'd been away since the 20 November :blush: ) and go on the club run. I expected to really struggle but surprisingly it wasn't that bad and I found my self averaging 18.6mph for the 40miles until the warm down 17.3mph for the whole run but that had fallen to 16.6mph by the time I got home (58 miles) :blush: Decided to cheat however to catch the end of the CC Ecosse RV and drove :blush:

An hour's lesson on a 16.3 thoroughbred called La La, does that count?

Hopefully getting the road bike out later if my aching yes-no muscles allow it! :-)

redjedi

Über Member
An hour's lesson on a 16.3 thoroughbred called La La, does that count?

Hopefully getting the road bike out later if my aching yes-no muscles allow it! :-)

They should allow it, as it's always easier and more fun to say yes than no :tongue:
Especially after all those fajitas yesterday
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Quick 27 miles before dinner.
Sun was out and bright when i set off, soon to disappear behind cloud. Took the tailwind outbound to the hamlet of Eldernell on the edge of the Nene Washes, hoping to see some Marsh Harrier, maybe even a Montagues Harrier that can occasionally be seen there...fat chance, only 10 minutes before turnaround time. Eldernell's a SSSI, and the birdlife abounds there, ive seen 4 Marsh harrier in one visit before...a rare'ish but very large raptor, never ever seen a Montagues Harrier.
Still, springs coming, might make Eldernell a more frequent destination to pick up again on birdwatching.
Moderate headwind homebound, but made surprisingly good time.
The state of the roads are disgusting as you get into the fens...for land thats so flat, how come the roads are so bumpy (and potholed).
Traffic was well behaved, good ride.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
48 Mile run from Reading to Winsor and back. Route takes in a few nice back roads and not too lumpy. Set off in glorious sunshine, came back against a howling headwind and heavy rain.

Still an enjoyable ride and averaged 16.9 MPH which I'm sure could have been better had the sun stayed shining

Paul.G.

D

Deleted member 1258

A 51 mile hard wet ride to Earlswood Craft centre and Back. Started out in bright sunshine and into a stiff head wind, by the time I got to Lowsonford the rain had started and it rained all the way to Earlswood, I walked into the café like a drowned rat. There was only one other from the Cov Road club in there, didn't see any of the club rides,and he had rode out on his own same I had. Sat in the cafe with beans on toast and a coffee whilst my gloves dried out on the radiator, then we ran for home by the direct route in heavy showers and a strong breeze, the wind had turned by then. Got in about one o'clock cold and wet but having had a pleasant mornings cycling.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Only 12 miles today.

I set off intending to do 22 but had a bad back for a couple of days and didn't want to be too rough back at work tomorrow after 1/2 term off :whistle: so adapted my route after first 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom