Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mooseracer

Guru
2 rides today, 30 miles this morning out towards Castle Combe and then 11 this afternoon with Mrs Moose as she tested out her new bike

Globalti

Legendary Member
DISASTER! My cycling buddy met a car on a sharp RH bend and bounced off its nearside, bruising himself badly and breaking his helmet. His bike cartwheeled over my head and landed about 5' up on the top of a hedge from where I and a following cyclist had quite a job retrieving it. He broke the wing mirror off the car, the driver was very quiet and his wife took charge, every witness agreed that it looked like a 50/50 accident. People in a nearby house took him in until his wife arrived to take him to A&E for an X-ray to his right leg though he's a doctor so he already knows he's got a deep haematoma to his right calf muscle and a stiff neck.

Initially the damage to the bike looked like an out-of-true front wheel and loose headset. I brought it home with me to check it over and while washing it down, spotted this damage in the RH chainstay:

AlexsRHchainstay2_zps3a7bc8cd.jpg

AlexsRHchainstay1_zps44cb3600.jpg

This must be where the front bumper of the car hit the frame - there must have been some big forces involved for the bike to fly so far. It's an almost new Tarmac SL4; I wonder if his old steel Pinarello would have taken as much damage?

Now the question is: repair or go for new frame? Any suggestions, anyone? I guess the first thing is to get an estimate for repairs then check to see if he's covered under his household insurance.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Unfortunately, that first photo doesn't look too great to me... I'd run a mile and want to buy a new one with that, I do however not know a thing about repairing carbon.

Worth a quote for repair I suppose. Hopefully he has cover, we pay a tenner a month extra on our house insurance for my bike with accidental damage outside covered, it's worth it in my eyes.

Hope he gets well soon.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nasty, but it could have been much worse! I came across an accident like that once between a motorcyclist and a car, and the police officer who stopped me told me that the air ambulance was taking the motorcyclist to Preston or Lancaster hospital (forget which) ASAP because the rider's leg was very badly mangled.

I hope your mate makes a good recovery. (Being a doctor, I'm sure he will be watching out for any signs of resulting DVT, but remind him if he needs reminding!)

I wouldn't want that bike repairing - I'd want a new bike! I don't trust CF that has taken a hard knock.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've emailed one of the carbon frame repairers but on looking now I can see that the area of damage is about 6" long so I doubt that can be repaired like a "spot" damage can. The whole tube is bruised and crushed.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
It started so well...:smile:
Sun's shining, it'd be criminal not to get out there even for me.
New seatpost and saddle on the hybrid, I fancy 1.5 hours just mooching about before dinner.
Its windy, the first few miles were hard, it takes me longer to catch my breath now, but onward over the local brickpits, along the old A1 toward Normans Cross, across to Yaxley, through and onto Farcet then homeward bound via several industrial areas, some in open country. Passing one such place through an underpass, there's a girl and fella graffiti'ing...buit good quality stuff. Not something I really approve of but this is way out of the way, no houses or general public in this area. As I passed them, I glanced at the walls and saw this...
20140202_115557_zpsfa32b75b.jpg

And this...
20140202_115533_zpsf1a90586.jpg

Stopped and chatted with the 'artists' but it wasn't their work, we were all impressed.
Onward home, over other brickpit land, I come to a cross roads...this way ?..or that ?...fateful decision too me that way...and two miutes later, I came round a very quiet pathway...eeek, wet leaf mould all over the place...ooer, front wheels going, unintentional hand out to stop me hitting the ground...BANG :wacko:.
Bugger, that hurt my finger :huh:...daren't take my glove off to look, just get on the bike and get home. Its numb, I can't flex my knuckles . About 1 mile later i'm home..
'Good ride ?' asked the wife...
'eeerr yeah, but id turn the dinner off, I think we may be going to casualty...I daren't look at whats inside my glove'

'Bogger...:sad:
20140202_122845_zps79d6b3e0.jpg

And damnation..
20140202_122359_zps6cc791cb.jpg

Dislocated finger, I really thought i'd shattered the bone, there's a sharp protrusion underneath the skin with blood/bruising..but all was well (ish)
Gas and air...one pull on the fingertip.....eeeeeeeee...second pull, a bit harder this time......awwwwwwwwww, third pull.....eeeeeeeeeegh...clunk and in it went :laugh:...aggghhhhhhhh. Phewwww.
2 hours later, im sat back at home eating a long needed Sunday dinner with a hand that now looks like this...
20140202_153930_zps41734c7b.jpg

The joys of cycling eh ?:laugh:

Brilliant ride, alls well in the end. Glass half full man I am...I got out on the bike :bravo:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
New seatpost and saddle on the hybrid, I fancy 1.5 hours just mooching about before dinner.
Its windy, the first few miles were hard, it takes me longer to catch my breath now, but onward over the local brickpits, along the old A1 toward Normans Cross, across to Yaxley, through and onto Farcet then homeward bound via several industrial areas, some in open country. Passing one such place through an underpass, there's a girl and fella graffiti'ing...buit good quality stuff. Not something I really approve of but this is way out of the way, no houses or general public in this area. As I passed them, I glanced at the walls and saw this...

And this...

Stopped and chatted with the 'artists' but it wasn't their work, we were all impressed.
Onward home, over other brickpit land, I come to a cross roads...this way ?..or that ?...fateful decision too me that way...and two miutes later, I came round a very quiet pathway...eeek, wet leaf mould all over the place...ooer, front wheels going, unintentional hand out to stop me hitting the ground...BANG :wacko:.
Bugger, that hurt my finger :huh:...daren't take my glove off to look, just get on the bike and get home. Its numb, I can't flex my knuckles . About 1 mile later i'm home..
'eeerr yeah, but id turn the dinner off, I think we may be going to casualty...I daren't look at whats inside my glove'

And damnation..

Dislocated finger, I really thought i'd shattered the bone, there's a sharp protrusion underneath the skin with blood/bruising..but all was well (ish)
Gas and air...one pull on the fingertip.....eeeeeeeee...second pull, a bit harder this time......awwwwwwwwww, third pull.....eeeeeeeeeegh...clunk and in it went :laugh:...aggghhhhhhhh. Phewwww.
2 hours later, im sat back at home eating a long needed Sunday dinner with a hand that now looks like this...

Brilliant ride, alls well in the end. Glass half full man I am...I got out on the bike :bravo:
A like for telling us about it but :eek: for the finger. Makes me feel all xx( just to look at it. I hope it feels better soon.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20140202_115533_zpsf1a90586.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 56

coffeejo

Ælfrēd

And this...

And damnation..

Wow, the street art is amazing. I especially like the pirate. The finger ... less so. GWS!

Cyclist33

Blimey - hope all you guys are ok!

I had a thankfully incident free ride - 45 miles out from home to Tatton Park and then after looping the park, off to Manchester Airport to watch some planes, then back through Altrincham and Dunham Massey. So one of my accustomed loops but with a couple of slight changes.

Stu

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
First day for a week it's been fit to ride.

Took the old Dawes Londoner for a 16 mile spin. Local lanes to Caldecote then over the A5 through Duncote almost to Greens Norton. Return past Caswel then Grimscote and Litchborough back to Bugbrooke. Completed in 86 minutes net of a stop at the radar memorial where a flock of Buzzards had gathered in an adjacent field. Very wet roads with streams escaping from waterlogged fields and quite a lot of damage from last night's gale - including a portaloo blown out of a construction sight in Gayton!!

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Went for a 40-something mile ride with my group today, skirting along the edges of the Levels via North Curry, up Rock Hill (easier than the last time I rode up it!) and then to Barrington for some coffee and grub before heading home through Broadway and Stoke St Mary. I took this photo (apologies for the terrible quality) from the ridge running above the Levels from Curry Mallet to Curry Rivel - the flood waters are receding slightly but it's not great:

Floods on the Levels 2feb14 (800x450).jpg

The ride was pretty uneventful (apart from picking up a thorn on Somerset's muddiest road (cue grubbiest hands) and being served a disappointingly not-so-hot bowl of soup in a pub that's normally really good) and it was good to be out in the fresh air, even if there was a touch more precipitation than the forecast suggested. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom