Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
Did 41 miles today, out of Hull over the Humber Bridge and around Barton, Barrow and New Holland. I always look forward to a, probably easy for most, climb out of Barton :bicycle:. Nice weather, just about right combination of heat and cool breezes. Had to wear the suncream though, which means I come home with lots of dead things attached to me

I've had a bit of a cold and could tell though as the last 10 miles I just wanted to get off the bike and sleep.:tired:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ride data HERE; 40 miles around a very sunny Lancashire, including a run upto the summit of WINTER HILL :sweat:

View attachment 46601
Winter Hill is one local(-ish) landmark that I have not ridden to yet. You've just reminded me that (just after I got ill the first time) I was plotting a route for a forum ride to take it in. That got put on the back burner because I wasn't capable of riding it, but now that I am it deserves to be dug back out of the archives and done this summer. You will have to come along on that ride, or at least join up with us on the way! :thumbsup:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Three rides today for a total of 58 miles.

Ride 1) 30 mile pootle with our lass, took us just over 3 hours, coffee in the park, spotted cygnets, goslings, ducklings and the first baby coots (no idea of their proper name) I've ever seen, plenty of other cyclists around

Ride 2) 6 mile round trip on the cycle paths to Sainsburys on the Sirrus - relaxed pace there, heavy rucksack back

Ride 3) 22 miles on the road bike in 1hr 11 minutes, just a tad faster than Ride 1. Loads of cyclists out again

Winter Hill is one local(-ish) landmark that I have not ridden to yet. You've just reminded me that (before I got ill) I was plotting a route for a forum ride to take it in. That got put on the back burner but deserves to be dug back out of the archives and done this summer. You will have to come along on that one, or at least join up with us on the way! :thumbsup:
Sounds ideal for me that one Colin :thumbsup:

TBH the road upto the mast, (off Georges Lane), is not the best, and there's a couple of cattle grids as well, but the main problem is that on a road bike once you get to the top the only way back down is the way you came. I used to go up on my MTB's a few years ago, and there are several paths you can take on an MTB, but they just aren't suitable for road bikes.

That said the views are outstanding as you can imagine, and the climb up there is worth it if only for that. I've even been up there in winter, (see pics taken Xmas Eve 2006), but I wouldn't recommend it :eek:

I'll certainly keep an eye out for this ride if you decide to tee it up Sir :thumbsup:

DSC00114.JPG
DSC00116.JPG
DSC00117.JPG
DSC00119.JPG
DSC00120.JPG

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Apart from 20 minutes or so yesterday, we haven't seen the sun here at all since last Sunday. Couldn't believe the sky was finally blue today, so went off for just an 18 or so mile ride around familiar haunts.

At Wicken Fen the cuckoos were still singing away and I got a decent view of a pair near this spot.

image.jpg

One of the cuckoos seemed to have a bit of a stammer. He was fine with the 'cuck' bit, but struggling with 'koo' so it was more like cuck cuck cuck .....koo. Most odd, but he was with a lady so it hadn't hindered him!

Loads of birds about- a pair of hobbies a highlight, hunting for dragonflies, marsh harriers, cettis warblers and a first for me here, a bearded tit, skulking in some reeds. I've seen them in Norfolk before but not here so it was great to see this exquisite little bird on my doorstep.

Then on down the Lodes Way over Reach Lode...

image.jpg

From Wicken I headed across Tubney Fen near Reach. There was no one about at all- I guess the hordes are battling their way down the A11 today after kids holidays, leaving the flatlands blissfully quiet.

image.jpg

Then on home via Lode looking for turtle doves. I've seen none yet so far this year which is a real worry, and none again today.

I normally head home along paths to avoid the horrible B1102, but it was pretty quiet today thankfully. I don't think drivers realise just how noisy cars can be. This bit is normally very unpleasant but it was fine today.

image.jpg

A great ride in 3 hours or so though I lost track of time completely. Rain forecast all week so pleased I made the most of a decent day.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
On my own today as with a hilly ride planned tomorrow I didn't want to tire Doug out any more than he is.^_^
It's the start of a new month so with such nice weather out at the moment:sun: getting in this months metric century seemed like a good idea. I opted to play it safe and do a route I was pretty certain was over 100km so rode over Lyth Hill and headed to Westbury, Melverley, Oswestry, Ellesmere, Baschurch and home via the centre of Shrewsbury.

I was cruising along pretty well once round the other side of Lyth Hill and after passing a horse quickly caught up with a couple of cyclists who I chatted with for a short while - they were up from Essex and heading out towards Pontesbury and Minsterley.

Continuing along the lanes I got to Stoney Stretton where there was a club outing stopped across the junction for the main road. Think they must have been waiting for some of their group to catch up as I expected them to pass me pretty quick but I never saw them again.

With the wind being light I made good progress through Westbury and Halfway House before having my first drink stop at the Welsh border. The road was quiet through Crew Green (which is always a bonus) and an Audi driver waited patiently for me to cross the single track bridge to Melverley.

I was into the flat lands now which made for some nice easy cruising towards Knockin........ or at least would have done if I hadn't missed the turn and ended up in Maesbrook instead.:blush: Fortunately, the lanes from Maesbrook also link to where I wanted to be and it turned out to be a flatter route (there's a bit of a hill at Knockin) so I may prefer to go that way again in future.

More fairly flat cruising led to Oswestry where I stopped for lunch by the ancient hill fort and rested a bit before taking on the lumpy section. Going in this direction it isn't that bad and I enjoyed the downhill section to Gobowen where I spotted another cyclist in the distance who appeared to be heading my way. It was a chap on a Mezzo folder who was heading off on a 30 mile loop as he wanted a bit of a challenge. He said he's doing the Dunwich Dynamo (but not necessarily on the folder). If you're on here: :hello:

Ellesmere was next and I had another stop by The Mere before heading out past the marina in the direction of Baschurch. More easy cruising even if it is a little lumpier than the route out. I caught two more riders in Baschurch but they turned off before I had a chance to chat.

The final stint was down to Shrewsbury. I took the direct route from Baschurch and encountered all of my close passes of the day on this stretch :dry: Annoying because it wasn't particularly busy - they were just ignorant. I was feeling the legs a bit by now so wasn't quick up the hills and was very glad to get to the descent into Shrewsbury were I headed into town (walking the bike past the traffic queue by the railway station) and through The Quarry before heading out of town again for home.

63.5 miles at 13.7 mph average.

DSC0000951.jpg

Heading out round Lyth Hill - gorgeous weather!

DSC0000953.jpg

Crossing the flat lands on the way to Maesbrook. Llanymynech Hill in the background.

DSC0000956.jpg

The Mere at Ellesmere.

DSC0000958.jpg

Boat trips on The Mere.

DSC0000960.jpg

The corrugated iron chapel at Lee Bridges.

DSC0000961.jpg

Walford Agricultural College

DSC0000962.jpg

A band on the bandstand in The Quarry? - Wonders never cease.:giggle: Edit: they were playing the Mission Impossible theme when I took the photo. It felt strangely appropriate.

Last edited:

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Ride with @toptom & James.
I'm getting over a chest infection & James' legs are playing up a bit after his run a couple of days ago so we all decided to do a fairly flat ride out into Oxfordshire. We've ridden the route numerous times before and it is a favourite loop. I say flat, we have to get over the Chilterns first!
The weather was warm and sunny so best bike was dusted off & I met the lads at the usual spot. Within 5 minutes we were out of town & in the countryside riding quiet lanes. Into Berkhamsted and up hill to the lanes to Chesham, my lungs were holding out well & I had no problem with the going up bits. More rolling lanes & soon we were past Gt.Missenden and heading for Longdown Hill, the last climb before hitting Oxfordshire. The Chiltern 100 sportive was on today & we found ourselves mingled in with a few of the riders. There were some up ahead and a Merc convertible was waiting patiently behind them as they slugged up hill. I was gaining fast and was on the rear of the Merc "I can take him and the 3 riders" I thought to myself, so I did. Thats a first for me, overtaking a Merc up hill!
Lunch stop was after 53 miles at Waterperry Gardens, the cheese & gammon sandwich was lovely washed down with a coffee.
The return leg was rolling B roads with the Chiltern hills looming up in the distance. Out of Oxfordshire & into Buckinghamshire & a bast**d of a climb, its only short but does kick up a bit. After a quick stop at a garage for a can of coke we had 25 miles and one more climb to home.
I arrived home with 102 miles on the Garmin and the Wife is cooking a mexican beef stew with paprika roast potatoes. Happy Days!
Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 17.12.30.png

Last edited:

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Entered the Silk Run audax from Tewkesbury today, and it turned out to be just about my longest ride for 3 years. Officially it was a 105Km (65.6 mile) audax, but I had parked at the advertised start, only to find that it had been moved to a pub about a mile away. That added 2 miles, and I added another 1.4 with a little detour during the event, making it 69 miles in all. Unlike @ MikeG above, I honestly couldn't have gone any further today. I was whacked at the finish.
Went off a bit too fast for the first 10 miles or so, trying to keep up with @Pikey, who was up from Wiltshire for the day and who introduced himself to me at the start. Nice guy. The peloton quickly split into litlle grupettos due to traffic lights, level crossings and busy junctions holding people up, so in one way I was quite glad to have gone off fast.
Quite apart from the change of start location, we were also given a brevet card with two questions to answer at "Info Controls". This wasn't helped by one of the info controls being listed in the wrong place, and the other having the enigmatic question "how many....." to answer. I just answered "42" being the answer to life, the universe etc according to the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Apparently the correct answer was "3". So there were 3 of them then .... whatever they were.
The event was dominated by the huge long drag out of the Vale of Gloucester up past Snowshill lavender farm to Broadway Tower in Worcestershire. I got up this without stopping, but my bum, my back, and my right calf all started to give me pain, and I arrived at the first control after 22 miles feeling quite shattered and lacking energy. Stage 2 started with a lovely freewheel down Fish Hill on the A44 , and for the first time in my life I took a deliberate long way round so that I could do the whole hill before turning back to get back on route in Broadway. Hit 35.5mph before my map holder decided to start acting as an aerofoil and gave me the fright of my life, nearly turning me into the Birdman of Gloucester.
It was at this point that it hit me that I still had over 45 miles to go, and that my legs had gone.
Two further stops at Beckford Silk Cafe and St Peters Garden Centre were like finding oases in the desert, and I must say the other riders today were an incredibly friendly bunch and made it a nice day out in spite of the pain. Several came over to see me at the start, including a couple of lads who had helped me with a "mechanical" on an earlier audax a few years ago, and a few more who recognised me from the BHF Cotswolds ride or the Windrush Winter warm-up. Spent longer than I intended chatting over my tea and cakes, and with that, blew any chance of setting a PB.
Limped back in to the finish in Tewkesbury for a disappointing time of 6hrs 45mins, But felt good for getting round. There were still a few people out on the road, so no shame. Hope to bump into a few new friends again on the circuit. Wished I'd taken the camera, as there was some fantastic scenery, but the only picture I have of today was taken by Mrs Donger (of the aftermath). After a nice cold beer, a hot bath and a chinese takeaway, i'm starting to feel OK again.
View attachment 46558
Cheers! Donger.

That actually was a great audax, good to see you there @Donger.
Definitely one of the most friendly events I've ever been on, the amount of riders who stopped for a chin wag whilst I was at the side of the road fixing the tyre that had blown off the rim was a big surprise.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a steady amble out last night to make sure that the lack of pain relief didn't prevent the legs working, I took the kids for a ride round Windsor Great Park. Nothing too exciting, only 6 miles but enough for my girl. I think the promise of an ice cream at the end got her up the last 'hill'. Despite being one of the shortest, slowest rides in the last 8 months or so, I enjoyed it the most simply because the kids did.

Peteaud

Veteran
Ride with @toptom & James.
I'm getting over a chest infection & James' legs are playing up a bit after his run a couple of days ago so we all decided to do a fairly flat ride out into Oxfordshire. We've ridden the route numerous times before and it is a favourite loop. I say flat, we have to get over the Chilterns first!
The weather was warm and sunny so best bike was dusted off & I met the lads at the usual spot. Within 5 minutes we were out of town & in the countryside riding quiet lanes. Into Berkhamsted and up hill to the lanes to Chesham, my lungs were holding out well & I had no problem with the going up bits. More rolling lanes & soon we were past Gt.Missenden and heading for Longdown Hill, the last climb before hitting Oxfordshire. The Chiltern 100 sportive was on today & we found ourselves mingled in with a few of the riders. There were some up ahead and a Merc convertible was waiting patiently behind them as they slugged up hill. I was gaining fast and was on the rear of the Merc "I can take him and the 3 riders" I thought to myself, so I did. Thats a first for me, overtaking a Merc up hill!
Lunch stop was after 53 miles at Waterperry Gardens, the cheese & gammon sandwich was lovely washed down with a coffee.
The return leg was rolling B roads with the Chiltern hills looming up in the distance. Out of Oxfordshire & into Buckinghamshire & a bast**d of a climb, its only short but does kick up a bit. After a quick stop at a garage for a can of coke we had 25 miles and one more climb to home.
I arrived home with 102 miles on the Garmin and the Wife is cooking a mexican beef stew with paprika roast potatoes. Happy Days!
View attachment 46631

Did that go up past Hampden House? (Hammer House)

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I had a great ride out this morning, just back from a week's leave so thought I'd take it easy and go for a quick half an hour spin just to blow out the cobwebs but it was a glorious morning and I kept adding extra sections onto the ride and it ended up in a big loop taking up all of the morning. Started off feeling a bit rusty but after an hour it was one of those rides where you know you could have riden all day given the opportunity. Fab!

Gareth C

Veteran
Giro di Castelnuovo
Saturday
To celebrate Stage 20 of the 2014 Giro d’Italia, we went all Italian for the day!

giro-di-castelnuovo.jpg

Saddle Skedaddle and The Cycle Hub organised a challenging guided road ride taking in some of the finest climbs in County Durham including the infamous Passo di Crawleyside. Previously they’d arranged L’Infer du Nord-Est, which was excellent, and had earned me an unbooked place on the Giro, so I was looking forward to a pleasant ride out at a relaxed pace.

The route was planned to start out easily enough, heading upstream along the Tyne to around Stocksfield, where things were planned to get tough, and it seeks out the hills of the North Pennines. The most severe would be the climb north out of Stanhope up Crawleyside Bank before returning back to the Tyne and then Newcastle.

gdcn-map.png

gdcn-profile.png

The morning of the ride saw us having excellent coffee at The Cycle Hub, with Alistair and Jon from work also joining the ride. The start was a nice roll out westward along the north bank of the Tyne, a route I haven’t been along before. At Stocksfield we turn south, and the climbing begins. Over Stocksfield Burn and a lung-busting ascent to New Ridley. Descend, then climb to Whittonstall, then another climb to Kiln Pit Hill, followed by a fantastic full-speed descent down to Shotleyfield, the first half on the best of minor roads, then (almost without me noticing) joins the more major road coming in from the right (but the cycle way is still dead straight on and just enough downhill to make it fast). From Shotleyfield we descend to Snod’s Edge, then (you’ve guessed it), we have to climb up to Carterway Heads and cross the A68. At this point we’re told the real climbing hasn’t really begun, but already I’m suffering and hanging off the back of the group.

screen-shot-2014-06-01-at-18-16-06.png

We now descend sharply to the dam at the end of the Derwent Reservoir and then ride along to Edmundbyers. It’s lumpy from there to Blanchland, and next we are heading over to Rookhope then Weardale and back via Crawleyside Bank. Now I know what this is like, having done it last weekend, so decide to skip this, and go solo for a direct climb up Edmundbyers Common to meet them at the Park Head café. This in itself isn’t an easy option, as when I last did it in October on the Etape Pennine, many people were walking it. The luxury of being on your own, and knowing the rest of the group have a stiff challenge ahead is that I can take the climb slowly and enjoy the view. When I finally land at Park Head, food is ordered, and I bump into Karen from work with her partner and some friends who have cycled up from Sunderland.

screen-shot-2014-06-01-at-18-24-39.png

When the rest of the group arrive, they are in good form, though Jon has shot off up the hill to claim a Strava segment, and Alistair is late, having bonked on the ascent of Crawleyside Bank (I can understand why). After some consideration, we decide to let the rest head on back on the planned route, and Alistair and I follow the Coast-to-Coast route to Consett, and from there down to the Tyne and back to the Cycle Hub. A much more relaxing way to get back to the start, and the end of a great days riding.

In the evening, I’d got tickets for the Newcastle screening of “Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist,” being shown at the Cycle Hub, joined by Liz and her parents. A nice way to end a great day out.

quad_aw_pantani_final.jpg

Sunday
With the weather still set fair, and having missed out on some of the climbing, I felt it was essential to get out for some more riding. I’d planned a direct home-to-work commute, so thought it would be good to give it a reccie. This was another climb-fest, with climbing up to Billy Row, then along the valley through Esh Winning, before another climb to Hill Top above Langley Park.

wp_20140601_001.jpg
Beautiful views back towards home

More climbing from Witton Gilbert and over towards Beamish, followed by nice fast (mostly) downhills to the back of the Team Valley. A quick look at the GPS to see whether the climb over Wrekenton in Gateshead could be avoided, but it didn’t look straightforward, so lots more climbing. This is the ridiculous spike in the profile at 40km.

screen-shot-2014-06-01-at-18-32-48.png

Once over the top, it was a fast run down to work at Felling. Two hours and fifteen minutes and just shy of 45 km. Not sure it’ll be a regular commute…

After a quick whiz along the Tyne, I’m back at the Cycle Hub for beer, bacon sandwich and a well-earned rest.

wp_20140601_002.jpg

After lunch I still wasn’t sure if I was going to retrace the route of the Giro di Castelnuovo, or just head back towards Consett via my normal commute route. In the end, it was a bit of both, as I followed the Tyne on the north bank to Blaydon, then got lost and ended up crossing the Blaydon Bridge and ending up on my normal commute route. Halfway up the old railway track to Consett I met a German lad on a tourer with panniers full of everything. As I was happy to take a break, I rode with him to Consett. He had come over that morning on the ferry from Amsterdam and wanted to ride the Hadrian’s Way cycle path, but had got lost. As he was a long way off-route, I persuaded him to ride the Coast-to-Coast (as he was half-way through Day 1), and ride back on the Hadrian Cycleway. After a good old natter, we parted company at Consett, and I headed for the track to Lanchester. Almost before leaving Consett you come across Knitsley Farm Shop, and even at 4pm on a Sunday they could fix me up with a toasted teacake and a coke. Suitably fortified I zoomed down to Lanchester, climbed the hill back above Langley Park and joined the railway track to Esh Winning. Really feeling tired now, I took the excuse on the climb to Billy Row to photograph the buttercup fields.

buttercup-fields.jpg
Buttercup fields near Esh Winning

A final whiz around some of the local back roads sees me joining the A68 for a quick mile back home. Job done and 50% more climbing than yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom