Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Big plans for me today. After a couple of 30 + mile rides in the past couple of weeks, I contemplated my first 50. Then I thought better of it, simply because I had some time constraints which would have meant rushing, and going too fast = bonking:rolleyes: So instead I spent an hour planning a nice 30 mile route, with options to extend to 40 miles or indeed, reduce it to 24 miles. This included a stop at the local RSPCA centre where our 2nd dog came from for a new toy. All was cancelled when I remembered they were shut Mondays, so when I left the house at 0845hrs this morning I went where my nose took me. In the end this turned out to be Chertsey, then back through Lyne, Virginia Water and Englefield Green. All this was leading me to WGP again, and I fancied a change, so took a detour towards Old Windsor which took me down Crimp Hill. This is on my list of hills to ride up, but on the way down it was downright scary, the road surface is terrible (made better in places by then jet-patching it...). If it were smooth it's a 35 mph+ hill, but I was riding the brakes all the way and barely went over 20:thumbsdown: I stopped at the entrance to the Royal Farm Shop on the approach to Datchet. Didn't go in, seems like a nice place for a group ride to stop though:
7 July 2014 Royal Farm Shop.jpg

Onwards into Windsor and past the castle again. Passed a trio in Oxfam strips, perhaps training for the Pru 100? Very busy today so didn't stop for photo's, and had my only dumb driver of the ride. Mercedes Vito cabby on the phone looked straight through me before starting to pull out. Not a surprise to see him with phone to ear, my load shout of a rather rude word seemed to do the trick and he was on the anchors..
I wanted a break from proper roads by now, and at 25 miles headed up the A332 to get into WGP via the Rangers Gate. A couple of laps, including passing the same fella a few times in the opposite direction (blue road bike, think it was a Cube?), with a nod each time. Followed Dukes Lane out and then round the outside of the park on the A329 where I was really starting to feel worn. Another cyclist zipped past me so I tried to stick with him, didn't do too badly but he was either much fitter or on a fresher set of legs 'cos he was gone through Virginia Water on the way home. If it was you in the Omega Pharma kit thank you, motivated me a bit to get home!
My longest ride to date is 43.5 miles, and I passed home at 43 miles, so pushed on to make 45.4 miles, my longest to date. The 50 can wait, but for now I'm happy^_^^_^

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@cosmicbike l'm gonna put my bike on the car and come on one off your rides one day.

I did 13.2 miles on the MTB his morning, down to Pangbourne, up a bit of Whitchurch Hill, the did a left along the bridle way and along the Thames path, which is a smashing rolling single track, rooty, slightly technical track, then on to Goring on Thames to meet the missus for breakfast. The return journey was along a gated single carriageway track through farms and up Whitchurch Hill, then back down again to Pangourne. A nice gentle ride out, with some fun hills thrown in for the craic.

Last edited:
my ride today was rather mundane compared to some posted on here recently, but it was a ride... I set out in torrential :rain: (I had a timetable to stick to and had to be in Wythenshawe for 3pm) and had no option but to leave in torrential :rain:. Even before the end of my lane, I knew I should have put my waterproof trousers on as well, my feet had that squishy feeling between the toes that tells you you need to ring out your socks... It would be over 2 hours before I got to do that and it rather surprised quite a few people at the hospital! :cry:30 minutes of torrential rain followed and I can only express it as a great reluctance to actually get off my saddle at the traffic lights. I have had drier baths. I felt like :surrender:ing and cycling only to my OH's work which was about half the distance I needed and collecting the car from him, but I carried on and eventually the :sun:came out and I was able to loose my (new) waterproof (into my pannier) and warm up a touch. My shorts, socks and shoes were still sodden when I finally made it to the hospital appointment (severe asthma appointment - my consultant more than happy to have a patient cycling to his appointments thankfully, though I have to confess to feeling very self conscious walking into a respiratory department in my cycling kit and then sitting down amongst the other patients. :whistle: (I do take a change of clothes, but the cycling attire is still very obvious).

Anyhow, today turned out to be a one way trip only, my consultant was running that late that I had a voicemail from my OH informing me he was picking me up (he works part way there, so was only 20 mins away by car) and to stay put. :eek: :cry: It takes me 2 hours each way (last time 2 hrs 15 mins so I am improving!) and my body does not miss meals particularly well, so with me not leaving the hospital until 5:30pm, I didn't stand much hope of cycling home which was a shame, or at least I was thinking it was until we hit torrential :rain: on the M56 and then I was re-thinking this concept. :laugh: On the bright side of things, my new waterproof is waterproof, breaths really well and fits. It is also hi-viz yellow which was what I wanted for heavy rain!

25 miles or so (41.4km) just under 2 hours (would have been 1hr 57mins but for the chaos being created by cars at the hospital entrance). Not too bad with a pannier and 2 heavy locks and also expecting to come home again... http://www.strava.com/activities/162932914

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's July and I hadn't yet got in a qualifying ride for the Metric Century a Month Challenge (see the road rides, audax and sportive section). I therefore set out to rectify this, but with the forecast looking not too bad and being inspired by the TDF I wanted to make it a proper challenge.

My plan was to revisit the route I did in May, but without having to return anyones keys or add mileage right at the end to get the figure I wanted.;)

My route was Condover, Acton Burnell, Cardington, Cressage, Upton Magna, Roden, Shawbury, Wem, Ellesmere, Oswestry, Melverley, Westbury and back via Lyth Hill. I made a point of adding a couple of extra loops early in the ride while I was still fresh to make sure I'd get an imperial century out of it, which seemed to work well and by the time I got to Cressage I had 8 miles extra in hand.

I had 3 close passes before getting to Wem which was annoying and it is surface dressing season in Ellesmere so I ended up with chippings glued to my tyres after riding through the wet tar.:dry: Being on a bike had its advantages here as the road was blocked while the waggons and machinery were being set up ready to do the other side of the road, but I could hop off and walk past.:thumbsup:

The signs were up warning of surface dressing on the NCN route to Oswestry too but fortunately they hadn't got to that bit yet.

Apart form feeling the saddle a fair bit I was doing okay as far as 80 miles but the energy started to drain away after that so I got steadily slower and the water running out at 91 miles didn't help at all. By 100 miles I felt totally destroyed and it was all I could do to keep moving. I even got overtaken by a guy on a BSO who returned my friendly greeting with a smirk and a swerve into my path as he pulled past.:thumbsdown: Let's see you catch me up when I'm on an ordinary ride.:evil:

106.28 miles at 13.1 mph average. Can't move now and it feels like I've been punched in the ribs.:rolleyes:

DSC0001298.jpg

Crossing Lyth Hill at the start of the ride. It was a fab morning.

DSC0001299.jpg

Looking across at Caer Caradoc just before tackling the big climb of the day up to Folly Bank.

DSC0001300.jpg

A scene near Cound Moor on my detour to add extra mileage.

DSC0001303.jpg

Shawbury

DSC0001305.jpg

Wem. I stopped to have my lunch here where I was serenaded by the bell ringers practising and amused by the antics of drivers when a delivery lorry blocked the traffic.

DSC0001306.jpg

Nice ornamental ironwork on the steps to the church in Wem.

DSC0001308.jpg

Ellesmere. The metric century was in the bag by this point - now to make it an imperial one.^_^

DSC0001310.jpg

The final tally. My longest ride to date and for some reason this felt much harder than the much hillier recent ride to Vyrnwy

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It was the 'Is it a mouse' ride again today. The proper one so he had an entire left ear and not half a one as last time. Hubster came with me so the 10.4 miles took 45 mins and a couple of seconds. The evening was nice and my BB seems to have mostly stopped clicking. It doesn't feel loose though in fact I can find nothing wrong with it. Maybe I've a duff pedal. I'll change them.

thetribe

Über Member
Bit late with this one as it was my Sunday ride. Went out with my better half, who still doesn't get out as often as I'd like. We rode a circuit around the outskirts of the town, riding along the river, where we stopped to admire the views once or twice. 11.7 miles at an 8.5mph average (no speeding along the river, too much to see)
IMG_7850.JPG

IMG_7853.JPG

IMG_7854.JPG

IMG_7858.JPG

IMG_7864.JPG

Seems I forgot to tell her about this part of the ride, a lot of ups from the river and includes a lot of 'get off and push' through barriers there to stop the idiots on motorbikes. Although when we'd finished she did say she preferred that ride to any other so far and would do it again, so bonus there. :smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A quick 67-mile trip from Dewsbury to near Goole this morning in the sun: @vernon ).
Chapeau, Sir! :bravo: The words "quick" and "67 mile trip" appearing in the same sentence seems just plain wrong. If they ever both appear in a post of mine, it will be a typo.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Back to my usual ride today on the quiet lane. Spent a pleasant hour riding along the lane. The weather was very hot and humid today. The stream has more water flowing today as we have had some rain over the last few days, so that tends to increase the flow of water for a few days anyway.
20140708_112045.jpg

and today, just for @CarlP i've taken a photo of my bike from the front . Theres tidy for you bach

20140708_112100.jpg

I was lucky though. Not long after i got h
20140708_114055.jpg
20140708_112045.jpg 20140708_112100.jpg 20140708_114119.jpg 20140708_114055.jpg home the heavens opened up.
20140708_114019.jpg

gavgav

Guru
I thought of starting a new thread called "Your Boat Ride Today" for today's ride, but I wasn't on a boat, however could have done with one!! Read on to see why......

I checked the forecast and rain radar at about 9ish and the Met Office suggested a few light showers this morning and maybe one or two heavier one's at about 2pm and so I would be fine........hmmmm.

There was a bit of light drizzle blowing in the wind as I set off for some new territory, with a trip around The Wrekin.

All was fine as I headed through Uffington, Upton Magna, Upton Forge and Wroxeter, where I had to pull in for a large farm vehicle, which was being chased at high speed by a Greyhound/Lurcher type dog!!

I could see The Wrekin and it looked a little bit black and as though I may get a little but wet over that way, but nothing too untoward.

I continued to follow the NCN route towards Little Wenlock and as I started the big climb, 600 ft in 4 miles, up Spout Lane, the rain started to get heavier and heavier and heavier until, by the time I had reached the top it was coming down in absolute torrents.

I have only once before experienced rain like it, in a thunderstorm when out for a drink with @Rickshaw Phil a few years back.

I continued onwards, having no choice really, and the rain just got heavier, so that by the time I descended into Ercall Wood I could hardly see where I was going due to the rain running into my eyes. As I reached the bottom of the hill there was so much water in the road that I had to cycle down the middle and through a flood at the bottom that cars were turning around to avoid going through.

I was on new territory now, but hating every minute of it and I turned up Wrekin Course and on towards Rushton, where a knob sped past me and showered me with floodwater.

There was nowhere to shelter out in the sticks and so it was onto Charlton Hill where the rain reached it's peak. I just couldn't believe it's intensity and it was running down the hill as a fast torrent, meaning I had to pull over as I was now aquaplaning and near to coming off and what had been a bit of a laugh for a bit was now becoming downright dangerous.

After about 5 minutes it slowed down very slightly and I braved it back towards Wroxeter, where the route around to the vineyard and Viriconium was now impassable to cars and I was basically sailing my way through the floods and puddles.

Once I got back to Upton Forge it started to become drizzle again and back at Uffington the roads were bone dry!!!!

Just bloody typical.

I was absolutely freezing by now and couldn't feel my hands enough to grip the handlebars very well and I could feel the water sloshing around in my shoes.

I arrived back home in much need of a hot shower to warm myself up and now have everything hanging out to dry.

My worst ride ever and something I never want to repeat.

30.01 miles
11.7 avg mph
1600 ft of climbing
About 3 inches of water!!

Edit: link to newspaper article about today's rain http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2014/07/08/shropshire-roads-and-trains-hit-by-flooding/

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I thought of starting a new thread called "Your Boat Ride Today" for today's ride, but I wasn't on a boat, however could have done with one!! Read on to see why......I arrived back home in much need of a hot shower to warm myself up and now have everything hanging out to dry.............My worst ride ever and something I never want to repeat.

30.01 miles
11.7 avg mph
1600 ft of climbing
About 3 inches of water!!

Chapeau! Having ridden through a couple of thunderstorms lately, and having done this years Windrush Winter Warm-up including one stretch of about 100 metres through water that came up above my BB, I know a little of how you feel. Get your chain dried and re-lubed as quickly as you can, or you are in for a few mystery creaks over the next few rides. As to your shoes, stuff them full of old newsprint when you hang them out to dry, and keep changing the paper ... that worked for me.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Back to my usual ride today on the quiet lane. Spent a pleasant hour riding along the lane. The weather was very hot and humid today. The stream has more water flowing today as we have had some rain over the last few days, so that tends to increase the flow of water for a few days anyway. View attachment 49818

and today, just for @CarlP i've taken a photo of my bike from the front . Theres tidy for you bach

View attachment 49819
I was lucky though. Not long after i got h View attachment 49822 View attachment 49818 View attachment 49819 View attachment 49821 View attachment 49822 home the heavens opened up.
View attachment 49824

Now then, there's lovely' isn't it look you-now then,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom