Your thing in front of a thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew1971

Veteran
Hi Emma
Good see them still being used. Which trike do you prefer homebuilt or ice.
I like the shade of blue on the rear one. Are your home built trike's stiil electric.
Andrew

Hi Emma
Good see them still being used. Which trike do you prefer homebuilt or ice.
I like the shade of blue on the rear one. Are your home built trike's stiil electric.
Andrew
All the trikes are still in use , although the middie drives ( ice ) are useful in the mountains the hub motors are more than adequate . Personally it's the home builts for me , the ice were a necessary evil ( not impressed should rename them "un ice " ) .
They solved an immediate problem but there has been many niggles with them . Moving handle bars in their clamps was a major problem , and l can't stand the Shimano steps on the sprint X. The compromised gearing of the electric change / automatic system proved to be more than a nuisance on the steep climbs the trike ran out of low gears on the ascents and high gears on the descents.
Price wise I think they have an over inflated price tag.
Overall we were unimpressed and it has gone to its new owner. Awaiting a new large workshop where we can build another couple of 20/20 trikes for our use.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1577447675944.png

Posted elsewhere as well, but here's mine in front of a bench at the end of our multi use trail. That's a Canadian farm implement factory in the distance.

With the Shimano Steps powered sprint X off to pastures new , we have fitted another Tongsheng TSDZ2 to the replacement ICE adventure and a rear disc brake ( the vee brake fitted originally tend to wear the black anodisation of the rims ) , its not the ideal replacement as its just too wide when turned sideways to negoiate the doors from the workshop to the drive way , (because it is 4" higher than the sprint both handle bar position and the seat post extension for the seat ) , However It will do until I can find a 20" rear wheel sprint RS . So here is the Adventure near the top of our local mountain in front of the lime kilns .

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I posted this in some other threads today but might as well add this one. Ardnamurchan with Rum faintly behind . View attachment 510670

That's a long drive out to there let alone a ride!

Lovely spot though - went there some years ago and the bay was very misty and glowing with yellow light; fantastic!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's a long drive out to there let alone a ride!

Lovely spot though - went there some years ago and the bay was very misty and glowing with yellow light; fantastic!
Glengorm is 5 miles from me but I only drove for 4 and then rode in both directions up and down. While it would be nice to ride the whole way which I have done frequently my present unfit state makes that doubtful on a trike. It has some nasty little hills and bits of rough surface. By the time this crisis is over and if I survive then I should be fit enough. Not sure if it is permissible but driving to Gruline church and then triking along Loch na Keal could give me a reasonable distance of up to 25 miles.

Out for my mandatory 1 hour exercise on my 14 year old ICE QNT (how time flies!), in front of the Spey railway viaduct at Orton. There are lots of railway bridges across the Spey but only 2 of them are being used as originally intended. In 12 miles I saw 6 cars and twice as many cyclists, despite half the ride being on a relatively major road in the middle of a Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was there on my 2007 Qnt last September.
They seem to go forever.
I like the fairing.
I'm based in Buckpool/Buckie.
Off picture topic but if we ever get back to normality this year is the cycle path along the coast suitable for a trike? Specifically an Adventure HD. I would probably be based between Banff and Nairn somewhere where there is a suitable tent site. Any other suggestions welcome. I would certainly stay at Portsoy if possible and I have also stayed at the site outside Nairn on the Inverness road where there are side roads but part of the route is an HGV rat run possibly to avoid low bridges.

Off picture topic but if we ever get back to normality this year is the cycle path along the coast suitable for a trike? Specifically an Adventure HD. I would probably be based between Banff and Nairn somewhere where there is a suitable tent site. Any other suggestions welcome. I would certainly stay at Portsoy if possible and I have also stayed at the site outside Nairn on the Inverness road where there are side roads but part of the route is an HGV rat run possibly to avoid low bridges.

The Sustrans route will take you nicely from Banff along the coast to Nairn; the Cullen-Buckie cycle path is fine if a bit rough in some parts. No reason any of it isn‘t trike friendly. At least I’ve ridden it all and more besides! Elgin has a nice smooth cycle path along the river that has some really scenic bits and misses out the traffic.

I was there on my 2007 Qnt last September.
They seem to go forever.
I like the fairing.
I'm based in Buckpool/Buckie.

I’d never (willingly) part with mine and it has been near problem free since the beginning; there’s a bit of play in the rear suspension that is waiting for me to get round and fit a new pivot sleeve. The Streamer fairing was bought second hand from DTek without any fittings; I got it cheap more out of curiosity than anything else. I made my own (very robust mountings). I have ridden without it precisely once since I originally fitted it, that should say how much I like it!

Most memorable moment was a front tyre blowout on a steep downhill in darkest Aberdeenshire... my GPS later indicated I was doing 45mph. No drama, no fuss: I was able to pull into the side whilst maintaining control. Well built and well designed machines.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Sustrans route will take you nicely from Banff along the coast to Nairn; the Cullen-Buckie cycle path is fine if a bit rough in some parts. No reason any of it isn‘t trike friendly. At least I’ve ridden it all and more besides! Elgin has a nice smooth cycle path along the river that has some really scenic bits and misses out the traffic.
Thanks for that I was contemplating the sustrans route but I have found they are not necessarily trike friendly in bits. Is the Elgin bit part of sustrans and if not where does it start? If not part of the route is there parking handy?

Top Bottom