Your thoughts on cycling trends and bicycle designs .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Glue bikes will be the future . They have been adding fibres to glue for far too long .

Yeah, wake up people- those fibres have weight

classic33

Leg End Member
Bikes that are seen, designed and used as an everyday vehicle. As opposed to appealing to a minority.
Also recumbent bikes/trikes becoming more widely used.

Solid tyres, I've a set of Green Welly's for a mountain bike.

MarkF

Guru
Steel is definitely making a big comeback ... from the artisan to $biggerbikecos$
Chainstays will get longer (people will tire of twitchy bikes)
Frame angles will become more relaxed (more people will want to go long distances rather than pure speed)
Tyres are (and will continue) to get fatter on average

I started cycling again late, at 40, nearly everybody I know (still riding) went MTB to hybrid, to alu road bike, to faster lighter alu or carbon road bike before ending up with a steel do everything bike. Surly, Salsa, Genesis being popular choices. I will to do the same, soon as I can afford to.

Mudguards, as they are now, never, ever, ever for me, I ride a scooter and have to look smart, even on my bike.
:smile:
Does anybody make range of coloured mudguards? Mudguards that absorb and emit light? I've seen a solar panel, plastic sheet, maybe 1mm thick, mudguards made out of the same would be good for touring.

doug

Veteran
3-D printing of components and frames, it has already been demoed for titanium and carbon fibre parts, only a matter of time before it gets scaled up and becomes affordable.
This will lead to an explosion of weird and wonderful designs, downloadable blue prints and fully customised bikes.

In other news the UCI may finally wake up and move into the 20th Century :rolleyes:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
This idea is certainly one that should not be sniffed at
Unless you want terrible Acne like Glue Bag Gaz @ Skool.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
They generally have to make cycling appeal to a wider grouop of people. As well as electric bikes, they have to have more bike friendly areas., its no good just to have good looking bikes if people wont use them on the roads. All these things have to go hand in hand surely. The more peole they get cycling, the more innovations they will come up with. Simpler bikes would
Be good, and bikes that need less maintenance.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Our suits in Government will wake up, smell some coffee & get their lazy & lardy arses over to Holland, Belgium, France & Switzerland to see how cycling infrastructure & proper road building is done.

Then travel back in 1st class & claim astronomical £££ in expenses, discuss the issue over several years again @ astronomical cost to the taxpayer while consuming several large vats of the finest brandy & whisky to ensure that not one iota of common sense prevails.

Following this long & arduous 'consultation period' where no public opinion is asked for, everything is then disregarded out of hand & a vote is pushed through to create a bigger, better pot holed Kingdom we can all be proud of.

Amen.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Following on from FF's - O.P -

I have now spent many hours pouring over the works of Shand, Swallow, Brian Rourke, Feather & an American dude called Aherne, all of which produce some stunning & very varied works of art.

Bespoke bicycles have also been heavily featured in Cycle Active, Cyclist, Cycling Plus & (American publication) Road Bike Action.

Now where did I put that Euro Millions ticket ??

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Maybe as part of the UCI's current cleansing process, they could introduce a TdF for cheats.

A past masters Testosterone de France where the spectators were encouraged to thrown down 'tacks' on fast descents from the Gallibier etc or waft their flags through the spokes of Lance et al.

Upon reaching Dutch corner all participants would be covered in sticky brew thrown by the orange masses gathered there...

I'm ranting now aren't I.

Edit.

I don't condone any of the above actions during bike racing obviously.

Top Bottom