Your thoughts on cycling trends and bicycle designs .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
On another thread was discussing with @SteCenturion the rise of bespoke cycles which prompted thoughts about the way bicycle design/market and cycling in general is developing.
What are your thoughts on the current and future trends?

Some of mine were regarding bicycle design:

Steel is definitely making a big comeback ... from the artisan to $biggerbikecos$
Disc brakes will soon be de-rigeur for all bikes and road-specific versions (smaller rear disc for example) will develop.
Chainstays will get longer (people will tire of twitchy bikes)
Frame angles will become more relaxed (more people will want to go long distances rather than pure speed)
Tyres are (and will continue) to get fatter on average
23mm rims
Almost all bikes except pure race and TT versions will have mudguards
Rise in 1 x 11 speed bikes using wide range MTB rear cassettes and small single chainring.

MikeG

Guru
Whilst we are predicting: more and more people at all levels will sit down on hills.

As for your list, FF, is there perhaps a danger of seeing what you want to see? I mean, whilst steel might be making a comeback, the huge recent change has been the move towards carbon fibre, which is getting cheaper and cheaper by the year. I don't agree with you regarding shorter chainstays or mudguards, either, and I personally doubt that a single chainring will become overly popular.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
On another thread was discussing with @SteCenturion the rise of bespoke cycles which prompted thoughts about the way bicycle design/market and cycling in general is developing.
What are your thoughts on the current and future trends?

Some of mine were regarding bicycle design:

Steel is definitely making a big comeback ... from the artisan to $biggerbikecos$
Disc brakes will soon be de-rigeur for all bikes and road-specific versions (smaller rear disc for example) will develop.
Chainstays will get longer (people will tire of twitchy bikes)
Frame angles will become more relaxed (more people will want to go long distances rather than pure speed)
Tyres are (and will continue) to get fatter on average
23mm rims
Almost all bikes except pure race and TT versions will have mudguards
Rise in 1 x 11 speed bikes using wide range MTB rear cassettes and small single chainring.
So a return to the bikes of yesteryear then? Fashion and nostalgia can be so regressive.

I'd like a steel framed bike with a flat top tube and bugger all seatpost sticking out with handlebars on the same level as the top of the saddle. That takes mudguards and a rack. With a 70" range of gears. and moustache bars. And brakes that work all the time. Just about the only way to get that is to go bespoke.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Electronic braking
In frame lighting/illumination
Wind generators on tourers
Spokeless wheels
Sleeker frames with no external (visable) mounts ...a-la the rear brake of the modone 5.1 or the forks of the ridley noah fast...or both would be nice!
Electronic monitoring points built in frame and cranks as standard....cadence, watts,

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm waiting for someone to produce a nippy commuter bike with a full, structural, chaincase with rear wheel attached from the drive side only, preferably coming with 'guards, rack and integral dynamo lighting.
Something like a Burrows 2D, but actually available.
Cannodale have had a go too.

KneesUp

Guru
Not sure about single chain ring 11 speeds. People seem to want either 'the best' or at least the most features - or none at all. Hence you can get bikes for under £200 with full suspension, and at the same time fixies are unfathomably popular.

Although 11 useable speeds would be perfectly fine for 99% of cyclists I doubt they'd be an easy sell.

The direction cycling is likely to take depends on which area of cycling you care to look at. Manufacturers are always seeking out new niches that they can lay claim to - so the diversification, fragmentation and diversity we've witnessed over the last few years will continue. In the area of 'utility' we're going to see more cargo bikes of various shapes and sizes, with less expensive models coming available as the (international) market grows big enough for the Taiwanese to sit up and take notice. We'll see more classy, traditional looking city bikes as people continue to turn away from stupid (mudguard and rack free) flashy neon 'sports hybrids'. Mountain bikes of all denominations will settle down with the 650 (27.5") standard - leaving 26" and 29" to fade into obscurity. There will be more electric assist in every sector - but with very much slower take up than the industry is hoping for. The super high end and 'bespoked' end of the market will continue to be irrelevent to all but a tiny percentage of the bike buying public. Road bikes? More carbon. Who gives a sh!t?

Solid tyres will never happen.

Top Bottom