Your thoughts on cycling trends and bicycle designs .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Whilst we are predicting: more and more people at all levels will sit down on hills.

As for your list, FF, is there perhaps a danger of seeing what you want to see? I mean, whilst steel might be making a comeback, the huge recent change has been the move towards carbon fibre, which is getting cheaper and cheaper by the year. I don't agree with you regarding shorter chainstays or mudguards, either, and I personally doubt that a single chainring will become overly popular.
Who knows?
It's only my take on it.
CF will definately become more ubiquitous as it gets cheaper and continue to grow, but Carbon and super- light weight are not the be-all and end-all that it once seemed. Longer chain stays are already started to be marketed as the next thing for the Mamil/Sportive crowd (following from so-called taller head-tubes for comfort) and more and more 'sport' bikes are mudguard compatible as people realise that for all-year round use the race-blade types don't cut-it.
As for 1 x 11, there are certainly quite a few bikes being seen in the meedja with this arrangement ... who knows?

Why not share your thoughts for where cycling is going?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
E-bikes may be the new trend. They are definitely becoming more popular. In Europe there are an estimated seven hundred thousand as of 2011. They are a great way to get people who may previously not even have thought of cycling or any kind of exercise for that matter to have a go. And it seems that if people are willing to try them, they are more likely to use one on a regular basis. Claude Butler have produced one as of numerous other manufacturers. If they get people out and about, then I'm all in favour of them.

And they are getting better looking and more efficient as time progresses.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
On the subject of bespoke/custom & high end bikes, I was having a tate a' tate with FF whereby I suggested that we might now be living through a golden age of bicycle manufacture.

In particular there has been a very strong resurgence in Artisan made product where only the very highest craftsmanship is good enough & the best of materials.
Mainly restricted to steel & titanium bikes but also encompassing carbon, bamboo & timbre.

I couldn't agree that steel is a step back as these artisans can do so much with the material now that a customer can to a degree get anything they desire.

If you want a slightly sloping top tube & more seat post you can have it, stainless, yes, larger diameter tubing, yes, mix modern & retro running gear, fine.

I like many have been sucked into the whole lightweight carbon thing but I also appreciate a good aluminium, titanium or steel frame.

@Fab Foodie recent Rourke adventure got me thinking about a properly custom bike (can't afford it yet) & @ sazzaa also was sick of loud & shouty boys colours & graphics & was looking for alternatives.
Up came the names of Shand, Swallow & Rourke, just 3 of many artisan builders out there 'raising the standards' of what can be expected or acheived.

That's why I think we have never quite had it so good.

A new Golden Age.

Top Bottom