Your thoughts on cycling trends and bicycle designs .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Dynamo hubs to make an industry-wide comeback in all sectors to power lights and all sorts of USB devices with smart battery storage in the frame.
Nope. Not for the only ride in daylight in fake races sportive brigade they won't.

That said, my next new wheel will be dynohub and disc....

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Nope. Not for the only ride in daylight in fake races sportive brigade they won't.

That said, my next new wheel will be dynohub and disc....
That's a niche, not a sector.... [cough]

snorri

Legendary Member
Thoughts on cycling trends....essential maintenance effort seems to be increasing, not decreasing.
The amount of time and effort required to maintain a bicycle is well out of proportion to that required to keep a car going over similar mileages. Few would argue that a bicycle is a more complex piece of engineering than a car, so why do they need so much care and attention?
When manufacturers sort that one out cycling can flourish:smile:.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thoughts on cycling trends....essential maintenance effort seems to be increasing, not decreasing.
The amount of time and effort required to maintain a bicycle is well out of proportion to that required to keep a car going over similar mileages. Few would argue that a bicycle is a more complex piece of engineering than a car, so why do they need so much care and attention?
When manufacturers sort that one out cycling can flourish:smile:.
Serious cyclist's bikes are often racehorses? Highly strung. Temperamental. Unreliable. Prone to failure in a large number of ways.

A consequence of the value we place on lightness I fear.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Anyway I've decided this years birthday present will be a place on one of those courses where you build your own frame.

to be honest I'm so out of condition I'd rather work on bikes than ride 'em.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Wooden go?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Self-riding bike. You still pedal, so you get a workout and can still annoy your colleagues by eating at your desk all day, but the bike does the steering so you can play games on your phone and vape while riding to work.

What I'd like to see is the return of shiny metallic and flamboyant paint. Bike frames these days are so dull. I presume its the fault of carbon, I presume it can't take the old style classic paint finishes.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The only reliable trend I can detect, whether it is the frame or components, is that they will break or wear out much more easily and quickly...
That seems to be they way with everything now . Design it so it wears out quick and then you buy new parts or a new product :angry:

Top Bottom