Your tips and tricks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jake

prob a bit anal again, but carry some spray on plaster and steri-strips for running body repairs for small accidents. oh and some tissues. leatherman, pump etc.

whatst that tire repair stuff 1.99?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I thought the tyre-repair stuff sounded well cool, until I realised you'd also need a pump. D'oh.

robz400

Spray on plaster! I don't think i could be trusted with anything that sounds so intriguing ;) I'd end up covered in it xx(

Jake

lol, its not that Tomorrows World. just some kinda superglue film that covers the area. its only a small spray, more for grazes and small cuts, for bigger cuts ster-strips are better.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jake said:
lol, its not that Tomorrows World. just some kinda superglue film that covers the area. its only a small spray, more for grazes and small cuts, for bigger cuts ster-strips are better.

Ever tried that on road rash. OMG, you'll never use it again!!!!

jimboalee

Carry tissues. Nicked from KFC in their foil wraps. Much lighter than a tub of 'Wet-ones'.
Make sure the pump you carry can inflate the tube to the desired pressure. Roadies need a 120 psi pump, not one of the MTB types.

If you have Presta valves, get a pump flexy with a DEEP fitting. Not many places have them nowadays, so try cyclejumbles. If you slip while pumping up a Presta, and the tip snaps off, its scrap.

Learn how to adjust gears. Gear cables stretch.
Learn how to 'tow-in' the brake blocks. They are more efficient that way, and quieter.

"Mashing" is sometimes called 'Alternate leg press'. Do some now and again to improve strength.

In the dark, make sure your front lamp battery reserve has enough to get you to where you're going, PLUS illuminate a puncture repair. Carry spare batteries, or if you have a dyno, a small hand torch.

Keep the phone numbers of all the local Police stations on your mobile phone. And a couple of Taxi companies for a write-off scenario.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Things I wouldn't be without on my commute (well, besides the bike!):

-spare tube (don't try to repair it until you're in the comfort of your own home. And check inside that tyre before you put that new tube in!!!)

-pump, puncture repair kit, tyre levers and a multi-tool.

-helmet (won't start a debate, but I have to have one on my commute into work as its mandated)

-helmet mirror

-high viz vest

-lights

-shoes (have spds)

-cycling shorts (fat thighs -a real necessity!)

-gloves (I wear full fingered all seasons, non-padded, just a personal preference)

And things I might not have but most usually do:

-zipties, electrical tape/duct tape, phone.

And now some less obvious stuff I do:

-I check to make sure I have what I think I have.

-Now and again, I check to make sure my pump works, and that I have glue that works with the patches.

-I always have 2 bikes in case one is out of commission

-I usually prepare the night before

-if I don't feel safe on the road at a certain place, I try to approach it differently, not necessarily cycling, or I avoid it altogether.

-if something isn't right and it's a new problem (e.g. brakes catching) I stop to make sure I know why.

And.... finally, I'd say learn bike maintenance -cheaper, faster, more convenient.

Top Bottom