Your tips and tricks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

You know, for a relative newbie, I have made some discoveries over my six months but would love to get the benefit of your greater experience.

Mine,

My Mirror, Couldnt do without it.

Remember to unclip SPDs before the junction......

Keep decent pressure in your tyres

Get decent waterproofs

Take a toolkit and spare tubes

bit lame but I am still new to this.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If you change at work always keep a spare pair of under garments for the ocassions you forget to pack them :biggrin:

hackbike 6

A lot of the time I don't either im too knackered or am busy with other things or need to unwind.

Mean to check the tyres on my days off though for glass.#

All that gutter hugging is no good for the old tyres especially when the peeheads have been busy throwing bottles into the cycle lane on a Friday night.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Always check behind you when loosing off a snot rocket on a windy day.

Always check the wind direction when loosing off a snot rocket, as having it end up down your side / front isn't cool.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
When setting off on your bike after you've left it in a public place, briefly check the wheel quick releases (those on your brakes too if you have them). Passers- by sometimes fiddle with them.

hackbike 6

Good point Phil.

I work with responsible people (allegedly)

When I first started at Waterloo in 1989 I remember some comedian leaving my rear light on and covering it up so when I got to it that night the batteries were flat.

Within the last few years I have had people at work disconnect all the wires on my home made lighting system no doubt finding this "hilarious".
I did my nut over this but never did find the culprit and couldn't really complain otherwise I reckon all bikes would have been banned from where we park them as they are probably not supposed to be there.(H+S?)

I didn't want to start that old crap off again.

Hope I don't upset one of my work colleagues otherwise they may decide to disconnect the brake line "for a laugh".

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Fresh in my mind.

Couple of days ago, I went to wheel my bike out of the bike shed at work. The front brake was dragging. Strange, it wasn't doing that on the way in. On closer inspection, the block was dragging on the tyre. I couldn't immediately see how that could have happened until I thought to check the QR. It was a bit loose, and the wheel wasn't seated properly in the fork on one side, hence it was cock-eyed and dragging.

Looks like someone fiddled with the QR, found out what it did, and then didn't put it back as it had been, leaving the wheel off-centre in the forks.

A good thing the "damage" was so obvious. If someone had merely undone the QR and nothing more, I might not have noticed with disastrous results.

dondare

Über Member
Know the law and keep it.
Always expect pedestrians to step out in front of you.
Stay a full door's width away from all parked vehicles.
Don't filter past long vehicles.
Don't filter past long vehicles.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Practice changing a rear wheel tube and repairing a p*ncture in the comfort of your own home using only the tools in your bike-bag. Much easier to practice there than tackling your first unplanned deflation by a busy road in the dark and the rain...

Amanda P

Legendary Member
If you use SPDs, check the bolts of your cleats from time to time.

If one comes undone while you're riding, you'll come to a halt and find that when you twist your foot to release, the cleat twists on the shoe instead of the pedal releasing, and you are attached to your bike. You can only free yourself by removing the shoe from your foot...

hackbike 6

Uncle Phil said:
If you use SPDs, check the bolts of your cleats from time to time.

If one comes undone while you're riding, you'll come to a halt and find that when you twist your foot to release, the cleat twists on the shoe instead of the pedal releasing, and you are attached to your bike. You can only free yourself by removing the shoe from your foot...

Did something like that once because the shoes weren't compatible with the cleats.Also seem to remember falling off at a bus stop at Maryland after coming to a stand and finding I couldn't get out.:?:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The one tip that's made the biggest difference to me was posted here 6 months ago:

120psi rear, 100 psi front. Check and adjust as necessary weekly.

Top Bottom