you've probably been asked before but.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stamfie

I plan to buy my first road bike having rediscovered the joy of cycling on a Trek FX 7.2 for the last 2 years
I'm a 5 foot 2 inch tall female and I don't want to spend more that £1k. There is too much choice and I don't undertsand half of the terms in the spec ! (why is it so jargonised with no simple explanations !!).
I've loved my Trek so I'm a bit biased towards Trek , altho I've heard good things about Specialized as well. I know that an aluminium frame and a carbon fork is going to be pretty std at this price band but thats about it.
Any help / advice would be very welcome. I'm sure there's lots of women like me waiting to take their first road bike plunge and have scoured magazines/ forums for a simple article giving such advice with simple terms but to no avail !

byegad

Legendary Member
A quick google brought up Evans cycles with female specific road bikes. There are plenty out there under £1000, not just through Evans.

OP
OP
S

stamfie

A quick google brought up Evans cycles with female specific road bikes. There are plenty out there under £1000, not just through Evans.

thanks. Thats the problem too much choice but I'm looking for advice as to which one from peoples experience / knowledge

snailracer

Über Member
As you're 5'2", I would suggest you narrow the choice down to bikes with short cranks.

I'm a 5'7" bloke with short legs, and I find I am more comfortable and spin easier with 152mm cranks than 165mm. My wife is 5'0" and she is even more sensitive to crank length, too bad 165-175mm is typical.

betty swollocks

large member
Don't get too hung up on the specs and jargon.
Just go to some friendly bike shops and ask to test ride a few bikes within your price range. If they won't let you test ride, go elsewhere.
If one feels right, it probably is. Buy it.

Psyclist

Über Member
Forme do good spec'd bikes for the money. This comes with Tiagra for £760, which is just the level under 105 (better quality and smoother groupset) According to your size it says 52cm suits you. Although, getting sized up at a bike shop is always better.

Whatever new bike you decide to buy, email the manufacturer you bought from and get at least a couple of spare mech hangers, as they tend to snap and are a bugger to get hold of. I did this before on an old bike and had to buy a frame for £50 just to get hold of the mech hanger as the manufacturer didn't have them any more.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am happy with my Giant Avail 2, very good frame, carbon fork, Tiagra gearing. I am not sure if Trek and Specialized have the same spec for the money - they do tend to be on the expensive side in my view. Giant do a range of sizes, probably an XS for someone who is 5'2 - I am 5'9 (and a bit) and ride a M (see if you hae a Giant store nearby). The 2 was £800 RRP last year, the Avail 1 was a grand with Shimaano 105

defy-one

Giant Avail 1 is the womens version of my Giant Defy 1 .... a most excellent bike with no weak points.

OP
OP
S

stamfie

update - test rode a specialized dolce triple sport and a Trek Lexa SL - both nice and very different to what I'm used to . Now have to decide !

OP
OP
S

stamfie

Do not limit yourself to female specific bikes.
Rob - to be honest at 5 foot 2 inches its simpler to do this, as frankly all mens bikes are going to be an awkward fit even if the stores had a small frame version in stock to try. Its a bit like mens clothes - even if you go for an extra small mens jumper it never really fits you properly as we are such different shapes in general !
Short men my size will still tend to have bigger hands or longer torsos, plus the seat will def not be right and have to be changed at more cost.......

Top Bottom