Zefal vs Lezyne pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I have 2 of the little Lezynes and they have worked well for the 15+ years I have had them. I find it handy when I need to0 deflate a tire to screw on the hose which will deflate the tire PDQ. Then I attach it to the pump to reflate. The ones with a lever have always been a PITA for me and I've broken the lever more than once.

GuyBoden

Guru
I have 2 of the little Lezynes and they have worked well for the 15+ years I have had them. I find it handy when I need to0 deflate a tire to screw on the hose which will deflate the tire PDQ. Then I attach it to the pump to reflate. The ones with a lever have always been a PITA for me and I've broken the lever more than once.

I agree, the screw on hoses are much better that the lever type and Lezyne Alloy Drive pump is very well designed and made.

1-MP-ALLDR-V2M10_AlloyDrive_Medium_Blue-V1-R2_720x.jpg

Kell

Veteran
I went to use the one I carry for my Brompton the other day and the attachment for the valve wouldn’t work.

Think the plastic had hardened and it wouldn’t provide a good seal.

So I ordered a new one.

Got one of these. Topeak Mini Morph.

Not tried it yet, but it looks like I could mount it somewhere - or just keep it in the pocket of my rucksack as it fits.

Quite liked the fact that it has a fold-out foot and the handle rotates for a little more purchase.

Rated to 160PSI - so should be good for the Contis I have on now.

mini-morph_open.jpg

https://www.wiggle.com/p/topeak-min...AE48sWkRRjz53M-mr_YaArgOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
I’m running them at about 120

Seems to be working as after switching to them and running them at that pressure I’ve got several PBs on my commute.

Must be some super smooth roads on that there commute! You sure you're not just going around an indoor track? Or pressure gauge is just way off? No way are they quicker that those pressures for me.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
Roads definitely aren’t super smooth.

Not sure if we have the same tyres as these are rated to 130.

Pump them up to 70 PSI and the rims would hit the edges of the many potholes I experience.

mitchibob

Über Member
Roads definitely aren’t super smooth.

Not sure if we have the same tyres as these are rated to 130.

Pump them up to 70 PSI and the rims would hit the edges of the many potholes I experience.

I try go around or bunny hop any pot-holes, although, thankfully, not many around by here. It's fine tyres being rated to 130psi, but doesn't mean you need to put that kinda of pressure into them. I thought there was only one conti tyre for brommie (well, black and tan-wall... I lust after the tan-wall). Certainly, I used to go close to the pressure limit of the tyres, but then noticed on some rough road descents, was having to put more effort in just to keep up speed, and seems to be enough research into this these days to suggest that on road at least, those silly high pressures and skinny tyres just don't actually roll as well. I've been really impressed how well contis roll at 70-80psi, plus more comfortable.

With road bike, think current rims suggest about 70psi max running tubeless, and you know, 28mm tyres at that pressure, lovely. Dunno why we didn't do that years ago.

Bring on the tubeless rim/tyre combo for Brommie! (actually, can wait year or so, as got enough tyres to wear out)

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
I try go around or bunny hop any pot-holes, although, thankfully, not many around by here. It's fine tyres being rated to 130psi, but doesn't mean you need to put that kinda of pressure into them. I thought there was only one conti tyre for brommie (well, black and tan-wall... I lust after the tan-wall). Certainly, I used to go close to the pressure limit of the tyres, but then noticed on some rough road descents, was having to put more effort in just to keep up speed, and seems to be enough research into this these days to suggest that on road at least, those silly high pressures and skinny tyres just don't actually roll as well. I've been really impressed how well contis roll at 70-80psi, plus more comfortable.

With road bike, think current rims suggest about 70psi max running tubeless, and you know, 28mm tyres at that pressure, lovely. Dunno why we didn't do that years ago.

Bring on the tubeless rim/tyre combo for Brommie! (actually, can wait year or so, as got enough tyres to wear out)

I certainly don't aim for potholes, but you know what it's like. Sometimes you get squeezed in to them.

I don't really have a massive issue with you running tyres at whatever pressure you like, but running them at half the max seems to be crazy to me. But that's not based on anything scientific. Without going and checking the tyres, I'm not sure if they just have a max PSI printed on them or a range.

All that said, I’m also fairly sure I’m a lot heavier than you so would automatically need to be running them at a higher pressure.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
Just for ref. Here’s my relative speeds for the commute.

You can see the upward curve after switching to the Contis.

NB - also not scientific as some of the really slow times can be attributed to roadworks.

Unfortunately - everything is so much slower than I was in 2018 when I did the BWC (I think you did it the same year).

Pneumonia plus covid has resulted in a drop in FTP of at least 60 watts - and a weight gain of 2 stone.

I know there were no traffic lights (or traffic) on the BWC route, but my estimated output for that ride was 235 watts for 30+ minutes with an average speed of over 18mph. And that was on Marathon Plus tyres.

IMG_4402.png

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
You can go tubeless on the Brommi with the stock rims and the Contis if you really want to though not officially supported. There is just no good reason for it.

I don't want to jinx myself with one possible reply to that, but have read of people doing this with various tyres, but, the "not officially supported" has always put me off, and various articles/videos suggesting this isn't a good idea. I can also kinda understand why they don't support it, yet. I can imagine it being limited to bikes with mudguards, when there's a suitably sized insert for when sealant doesn't seal the puncture. Could make sense with their rental fleet. Tubeless is definitely a journey though, and for people folding their bikes and bringing into carpeted flat/house after getting puncture in last minutes of their ride home, could seriously annoy people. I'd imagine that for Brompton, finding the perfect solid tyre, that needs a Brompton Junction to replace when it wears out is better for many consumers. I totally understand why it's not priority for them.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A bit off topic, but does anybody have an opinion about the ten quid track pump on offer at Lidl right now? I was totally underawed by the Joe Blow one that packed up on me after very little use. I'm looking for a replacement .

Top Bottom