Zefal vs Lezyne pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulRoberts

Hey guys - yes this is specifically about the new Brompton pump. The Brilliant Bikes video talks about installation of the new pump but that's about it. I haven't seen a comparison yet and can't actually get much information about the new pump. I understand it's slightly lighter than the Zefal which makes me think it is plastic, but I can't find confirmation.
They did another comparing them. both just get you home pumps buy a track pump or know where the ones outside bike shops/halfords are.

12boy

Guru
Interesting video. I do find it a lot easier to use the Lezyne screw on fitting than the lever type. That is true for both the little pump I carry or my floor pump (track pump to you). I have managed to get enough air to ride home many times, BTW.
I use Schrader valves because in the past my clumsiness has resulted in snapping off the Presta valve.

@Cycleops I’m pretty sure you don’t need to have a Brompton to use the pump @ExBrit mentions, it would work for other tubes, but I understood the question related to a very recent release of a dual branded Lezyne/Brompton pump, designed to replace the original, plastic, and not very good Zefal pump, which was often supplied with most new Bromptons.
Don't know if that's the one my late 90s 5 speed came with, have never used it, never trusted it, always used a morph.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Don't know if that's the one my late 90s 5 speed came with, have never used it, never trusted it, always used a morph.
No. A late 90s Brompton would have a pump with a hose (just like the new Lezyne one). It got replaced by the Zefal that is clamped directly to the valve. This Zefal pump had a bunch of variations over the years until it finally now was superseeded by the Lezyne. Don't know if Lezyne as a brand even existed back in the nineties.

Kell

Veteran
Theoretically, a road tyre pump should be able to get 80PSI into a Brompton tyre.

Using low volume and high pressure, it should be achievable - it will just take a lot of pumps.

After I lost the Brompton pump, I replaced it with one I had hanging around. But it was an MTB pump (high-volume, low pressure) which made it hard to get the required amount of pressure into the tyre.

It is surprising that the supplied pumps cannot achieve the required PSI.

Schwinnsta

Theoretically, a road tyre pump should be able to get 80PSI into a Brompton tyre.

Using low volume and high pressure, it should be achievable - it will just take a lot of pumps.

After I lost the Brompton pump, I replaced it with one I had hanging around. But it was an MTB pump (high-volume, low pressure) which made it hard to get the required amount of pressure into the tyre.

It is surprising that the supplied pumps cannot achieve the required PSI.
They are more than adequare to get you home. For regular use,you need a track pump.

Kell

Veteran
They are more than adequare to get you home. For regular use,you need a track pump.

It’s an interesting debate.

I don’t think a ‘supplied pump’ should be an emergency item.

If it comes with the bike and the bike tyres require a certain psi it should be capable of reaching it.

Not just Brompton, any bike.

I have a couple of track pumps which I use because it’s easier, but IMHO it should be doable with a hand pump.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I don’t think a ‘supplied pump’ should be an emergency item.
If it comes with the bike and the bike tyres require a certain psi it should be capable of reaching it.
Well, it is. Just a question of how strong you are... The limit is not the capability of the pump but your's. When on the road I can live with an emergency pump. The more if it is small and light. I do prefer the comfort of i.e. the Joe Blow standpump but would not want to take it with me on my rides. Your mileage may vary. :becool:

Kell

Veteran
I’m only going on the previous poster’s link to the video - in which they said both were just ‘get you home’ pumps.

I’ve not tested it for myself.

In fact I don’t think I used the original pump before it got jolted off.

CEBEP

I was looking into this subject too. Decided this way - if I ride close to home then stock Brompton pump will do for emergency. Worst case scenario - take a taxi.

For longer trips "just get me home" pump will not do for me. I've just ordered Silca Tattico which acc to reviews seems to be very solid pump and is able to reach 100 psi according to some video reviews. 80 psi will do just fine for me though.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Late to the party but possibly worth mentioning..

My 2021 C-Line came with the Lezyne pump and tbh I'm not particularly impressed. The main body of the pump and pump handle are ally, however the rest of it is mostly plastic.

I don't much like the separate hose as it's full length means it fouls the hub when attempting to attached it to the valve; promoting mis-alignment. Further, you really need to screw it partially onto the valve, then fit the pump to the hose, then finish screwing it onto the valve. Doing the hose all the way in isolation will vent the air from the tyre, while doing it after fitting it to the pump just makes it more cumbersome to fit to the valve.

I had fun recently when attempting to top up the tyre in the field - partially screwed the hose onto the valve, started screwing the pump on and managed to get it cross-threaded (hose wants to deflect, threads in pump are fine and plastic); the resultant torque being enough to wind the hose onto the valve and dump all the air from the tyre as I was attempting to sort out the cross-threading issue.

Further, the mounts for the frame are a bit crap, with screws that are really too short and require the clamps to be compressed pretty hard to get them to start in the threads.

I was considering replacing this one with the earlier-spec Zefal item, although it seems these have their own set of problems. As it stands, if I continue using my general cycling rucksack on the commute I can just defer to my trusty, cheapo Giant mini pump that lives within; and potentially remove the Brompton-branded item completely.

Would be nice to have something decent permanently fitted to the bike, however..

Fastpedaller

I have an alloy mini pump complete with hose sourced from Ebay, which only cost about £5, and will pump to hard pressure (no idea of a figure, but HARD) in 100 pumps. In my spares cupboard I also have a very similar pump (again alloy) which I bought from Lidl £3.99 IIRC. Either (or maybe even both at the same time :laugh: ) will fit inside the Brompton seatpin, held in by a bung at the lower end. To stop the pump rattling some old (road) inner tube 'doubled up' around the pump works well

tinywheels

Über Member
I was looking into this subject too. Decided this way - if I ride close to home then stock Brompton pump will do for emergency. Worst case scenario - take a taxi.

For longer trips "just get me home" pump will not do for me. I've just ordered Silca Tattico which acc to reviews seems to be very solid pump and is able to reach 100 psi according to some video reviews. 80 psi will do just fine for me though.

that silca tactico looks like the sort of pump brompton should supply, it's certainly dear enough.
Now you've bought it to my attention I'm craving one,goddammit!

GuyBoden

Guru
I have two Lezyne alloy mini pumps with flex abs hose, the older version is 110psi the new version is 90psi.

Both, very good, well made Alloy pumps. That do the job.

These:
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections...ducts/1-mp-alldr-v2m04?variant=19837362503766

1-MP-ALLDR-V2M10_AlloyDrive_Medium_Blue-V1-R2_720x.jpg

Top Bottom