Zizzi (pizza chain) apparently taking 50% of tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
was about to pay my bill on credit card and asked the girl to check they actually got the tips. They get 50% apparently. She said it quite pleasantly and very professionally wouldn't be drawn when I naturally shared my opinion. Gits ! I quite like Zizzi but that is a f&££&n cheek and I'm really quite cross. Gits once again with nobs on !

Jimidh

Veteran
967BCEAC-0916-4C36-9557-2632CFD2D22C.jpeg
Not totally true - all cash tips go direct to the waiter - credit card tips split 50/50 between wait staff and kitchen staff.

I’ve a mate who is a senior director at one of these chains and this is standard practice.

OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
View attachment 449673 Not totally true - all cash tips go direct to the waiter - credit card tips split 50/50 between wait staff and kitchen staff.

I’ve a mate who is a senior director at one of these chains and this is standard practice.

Fair enough sharing amongst the staff generally, after all thr kitchen crew make the food. i'd got the impression The Man was getting 50% but to be fair I don't think the lass serving was trying to mislead me

Levo-Lon

Guru
If I have a good meal and good service,I pay by card and give who served me a tenner..

If it was just mediocre I pay by card and don't tip.
I just give a quid or 2 in a coffee quick bite cafe shop and put that in the tips dish.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Management and/or owners pocketing tips meant for the waiters in the restaurant trade is standard practice ime.
Not only restaurants: there's a notorious race course in Scotland where if you do as you're told, that is to declare all your tips to the manager, you won't see 99% of them again.
I used to smuggle them out in my bra :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Management and/or owners pocketing tips meant for the waiters in the restaurant trade is standard practice ime.
Not only restaurants: there's a notorious race course in Scotland where if you do as you're told, that is to declare all your tips to the manager, you won't see 99% of them again.
I used to smuggle them out in my bra :laugh:
Managers?

Moodyman

Legendary Member

I worked at two family run Italian restaurants in my student days and this was common practice. Their policy was they paid a fair wage to all staff (and they did), so tips were retained by the owners.

It also helped avoid ill feeling between kitchen and waiting staff.

bianchi1

Guru
A waitress at a chain Italian told me once that she regularly cleared £80 a night in tips if she got put on a good 'section'. That said if any mistakes were made in that section the money was taken directly from her. If focuses the mind I guess.

The down side of this method is the devision it causes between the staff, as mentioned above. The kitchen staff are working just as hard and contributing to the customers experience so generally get a bit miffed when they see waiting staff taking £300 a week extra! The waitress I knew turned down a management job at the restaurant because it meant she would loose tips.

Drago

Legendary Member
If kitchen staff dont like it they can take the basic salary reduction and become waiting staff instead.

When I tip a waiter or waitress that tip is to show my appreciation for the standard of service that they have personally delivered. If kitchen staff or the manager doesn't like that they can come and talk to me about it, and I'll be happy to listen to their concerns before telling them to sod off.

bianchi1

Guru
If kitchen staff dont like it they can take the basic salary reduction and become waiting staff instead.

When I tip a waiter or waitress that tip is to show my appreciation for the standard of service that they have personally delivered. If kitchen staff or the manager doesn't like that they can come and talk to me about it, and I'll be happy to listen to their concerns before telling them to sod off.

Never a good idea to tell the person who might cook for you in the future to sod off

Top Bottom