Zwift - All things Zwift and more

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Did a quick 1/2hr yesterday on vintage day, very clever.

Then did an extended Pretzel route this morning, which happened to be the Mountain Figure of 8 Course x 3. Including up to the TV mast twice.

AlanW

Guru
12932796_1181947288495812_4871590470212099927_n_zpss0tlg3ac.jpg
12321259_988904027867404_5540776099129746648_n_zpsk0l0zmie.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like I'm joining the clan. Ant+ adapter will be here tomorrow, and I did my first turbo session today after my accident 5 months ago. Even though it's a basic (classic) trainer I'm quite impressed with the resistance. Used it on level 3 of 5 and it's close to road resistance, if not a bit harder. Means I use the smaller chain ring rather than having to pop it on the big ring with the old turbo fan I had. It's also surprisingly quiet.

With a classic trainer, I assume Zwift 'slows' the rider down, and you've got to whack it up a few gears to keep up on a climb as you don't have variable resistance ?

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
Good news and glad to hear that they've said you can get on a bike, albeit not yet on the open road.

I think with the classic trainer you do use the gears to adjust what will be a constant resistance from the trainer itself but I'm. It sure Zwift will change anything at all - itll all be down to you IIRC.

I just did a 50k ride tonight joining the weekly "sub2" group for four laps with a bit extra as a warm up then to make sure I got the 50k. Really enjoyed it and meant I got a ride despite the horrid weather outside.

I find the groups helpful in keeping your pace (the sub2 isn't what you'd describe as a hard ride) and also keeping interest.

The new mountain climb on Watopia is also a good challenge - I couldn't believe how hard it felt going up the mountain pass for a trainer and yes, my legs ached afterwards :smile:

fossyant

I'll give it the two week trial anyway. Just sitting there doing 30 minutes with the radio on is hard, so this should make things more interesting. Will also get the companion app. loaded on my phone/tablet.

I've got a 16" pedestal fan at the ready.

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
Fan definitely needed - does get a tad warm/sweaty!!

fossyant

Fan definitely needed - does get a tad warm/sweaty!!

I've always used a fan on the turbo, but it was at the back of the garage yesterday and nearly melted, even in a cold garage. No wonder I hate the gym bikes, way too warm. Will most likely use two fans. I have a WIFI extender in the garage, and a 'workmate' to pop the laptop on.

fossyant

Just connected it all up and did a quick 3 miles in jeans and civy shoes. I'll give it a good ride tomorrow. Loads of riders on-line, and the hill climbing works well on classic trainers - your speed drops, so you've got to drop down the gears to increase the resistance to stay in touch with the pace. Happy with that.

fossyant

18 miles, an hour, peaked at 191 bpm....signed up.

I've never ridden an hour on a turbo, or done 191 on one - boredom kicks in....

Got 15km left on the free test, that will be gone by far tomorrow. Paid up.

Top Bottom