Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Just to edit that slightly. I won’t be sure until I’ve had a really good session whether or not I could suffer the gear changiing in its current condition. But ultimately it should be as close to a real bike as possible.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Tommy - theres a bloke near me also has a watt bike and is regularly on zwift - just sent him a message to see if i can give you his name maybe message each other see if you have same issues ?
it wouldn't be something silly like clicked wrong button on paired devices ? watched a couple of vids on youtube people using wattbike and although dc said slightly different gearing others didnt say anything

did i mention i am ill ?

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Just to edit that slightly. I won’t be sure until I’ve had a really good session whether or not I could suffer the gear changiing in its current condition. But ultimately it should be as close to a real bike as possible.
I agree. When I eventually change trainers I would seriously consider a dedicated indoor bike like this if all the tech works well. It sounds like it mostly does with the Wattbike Atom - except for the gears currently. And as I mostly enjoy the races that would definitely be a deal breaker for me personally. I suspect there will be several more similar bikes coming out over the next few years and if Wattbike don't or can't get the gears working as well or better than they do currently on normal bikes I think they'll lose an awful lot of potential sales

Edit: P.S. Thanks for being our guinea pig and sharing your feedback on this Tommy!

Last edited:

<Tommy>

I agree. When I eventually change trainers I would seriously consider a dedicated indoor bike like this if all the tech works well. It sounds like it mostly does with the Wattbike Atom - except for the gears currently. And as I mostly enjoy the races that would definitely be a deal breaker for me personally. I suspect there will be several more similar bikes coming out over the next few years and if Wattbike don't or can't get the gears working as well or better than they do currently on normal bikes I think they'll lose an awful lot of potential sales

Edit: P.S. Thanks for being our guinea pig and sharing your feedback on this Tommy!

Ha! No worries

I’m in a similar spot. But I couldn’t do another winter on the pro. Not just because of BKOOL software but the noise issue. Right now I’m very happy with my set up, and having a stand-alone trainer is part of that. If Wattbike fail where another succeeds. I’ll move on swiftly. But hopefully... in a few weeks, these conversations will be a distant memory.

<Tommy>

Tommy - theres a bloke near me also has a watt bike and is regularly on zwift - just sent him a message to see if i can give you his name maybe message each other see if you have same issues ?
it wouldn't be something silly like clicked wrong button on paired devices ? watched a couple of vids on youtube people using wattbike and although dc said slightly different gearing others didnt say anything

did i mention i am ill ?

Berty that would be great. So long as you feel well enough to use the phone :heat:

Pairing on zwift is dare I say it, idiot proof.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Well, it could well be partly user error to be honest Bob. As I said earlier I’m still getting to grips with both systems so my opinion is only based on first impressions. I’m not sure I tried it in 0%, it I did it wasn’t for an extended length of time. I’ll try tonight. It’s highly likely dcrainmaker explains all this better than I can, so I’d suggest reading his review if you haven’t already.

I’m not suprised by it to be honest. I did mention it in this thread a couple of weeks ago after reading early reports, but maybe you guys didn’t think it was going to be an issue. Putting a product out when it’s not 100% ready? It’s nothing new. At least with modern tech things like firmware updates mean so long as it’s not hardware issues, they can often be resolved. Anyone buying into something as it’s first released would be very naive to think there won’t be teething problems so it doesn’t make me too emotional. What I want is fast resolution. Not just so I can get on board with zwift but also to give me full confidence in Wattbike as a company. Time will tell...

Like I say I don’t care about company loyalty etc so it’s no problem for me to switch to something else if it doesn’t work out.
If the gear changing/resistance is OK on the Wattbike app, and other apps (BigRingVR, Sufferfest etc) then it's a Zwift problem and not a Wattbike problem. Suggests Zwift programmers haven't yet worked out how to send the correct resistance to the bike?

Gradient changes in Zwift are a lot less extreme compared to Bkool, so there are very few places you should be going anywhere near spinning out. I can't think of any places on the courses that go from an extreme +ve gradient to an extreme -ve gradient (possibly only when cresting Box Hill). Dropping down into the tube station is probably another place too to be fair.

Last edited:

Whorty

did i mention i am ill ?
You might be ill but you'd still beat up up any hill :mrpig:

JLaw

Veteran
Hi Jeff. My derailleur was touching the cowling and sometimes would not run smoothly on the large gear on the cassette. So I trimmed away a portion just before one of the mounts. I cleared the derailleur perfectly. I'll take pictures if you have issues with the derailleur touching or catching the cowling. Kickr V2 redesigned the cowling to make it flush with the belt drive pulley.
Ah, yes. Mine's borderline in that regard -- I've looked at it a while back and wondered if my derailleur was bent inward ever so slightly and thus causing the slight touch. It didn't seem to be impacting anything, so I just left everything as-is.

Whorty

I'm the same @bridgy . Would move to a dedicated indoor bike too when the Pro breathes its last! When I was originally looking for a training bike I was considering this : https://www.proformfitness.co.uk/tour-de-france.html-1 almost pulled the trigger but whilst doing the research I came across Bkool and that met my needs at the time. Main target was always to climb Alpe D'huez ^_^

JLaw

Veteran
I'm the same @bridgy . Would move to a dedicated indoor bike too when the Pro breathes its last! When I was originally looking for a training bike I was considering this : https://www.proformfitness.co.uk/tour-de-france.html-1 almost pulled the trigger but whilst doing the research I came across Bkool and that met my needs at the time. Main target was always to climb Alpe D'huez ^_^
From what I've read, those things are garbage.... Stay far far away.,

Top Bottom