Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
What do you think is behind the loss of form Paul?
I was a bit knocked out by the Covid vaccine a couple of weeks ago - just under the weather for a few days. This in turn meant I rode less than normal (I also missed a race for other reasons) and I haven't quite felt back to full fitness since

Alongo

Guru
Largely uneventful for the fat lad at the back tonight. Stayed with the main bunch to the first accent of Libby Hill and then got spat out of the back. Found a group of 4 riders and we kept together and slowly reeled in the guys up the road that were mainly solo and in pairs. On the last lap with caught Norris and Ketty (not our Norris!) but the group didn't stay together long as people fought for final places in the race.

Personally I hurt my knee again on lap 3 and really hurt it on the final 23rd Street climb resulting me to soft pedal to the finish and ending my race in 59th. It was a shame as I felt stronger than some in our group but sadly the old knee didn't agree.

Does anyone wear any knee braces when they ride? I am hurting the same left knee ligament every time I race up any sort of climb and I could so with some kind of support before I damage it properly. It's fine on road rides, it's just Zwift that's aggravating it.
Sorry to hear about the knee @Joffey . The ridged fit of the bike on the trainer is probably a bit unforgiving and if you have a marked increase in volume and/ or intensity it starts to give you clues about your biomechanics . I agree with Pete regarding bike fit and also have found cleat wedges helpful , if the pain is on the inside of the knee good quality arch supports make a big difference , I use Sidas and Sole heat mouldable ones . I also think we can become too specific by just only doing cycling and then we can get weakness and imbalance in other areas so gently staring a bit of mobility and strength exercise regime definitely makes you more resilient . It can be frustrating and a bit of a puzzle to figure out as we are all unique . Bike fits are great and give you a good ball park but I’m not sure if they’d get you spot on for full on Zwift racing as they aren’t observing that .

Last edited:

straas

Matt
Largely uneventful for the fat lad at the back tonight. Stayed with the main bunch to the first accent of Libby Hill and then got spat out of the back. Found a group of 4 riders and we kept together and slowly reeled in the guys up the road that were mainly solo and in pairs. On the last lap with caught Norris and Ketty (not our Norris!) but the group didn't stay together long as people fought for final places in the race.

Personally I hurt my knee again on lap 3 and really hurt it on the final 23rd Street climb resulting me to soft pedal to the finish and ending my race in 59th. It was a shame as I felt stronger than some in our group but sadly the old knee didn't agree.

Does anyone wear any knee braces when they ride? I am hurting the same left knee ligament every time I race up any sort of climb and I could so with some kind of support before I damage it properly. It's fine on road rides, it's just Zwift that's aggravating it.

I've heard a rocker can sort out knee issues on the turbo. Someone in my club made their own with some tennis balls and pipes. I should be able to find some pictures if you're interested.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I had bad knee pain from a running injury, which was exacerbated by a fall I had 2 1/2 years ago, and I've really found that strengthening the muscles with low-impact work since beginning Zwift has helped, so I'll second what Andy has said about mobility and strength exercises.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Sorry to hear about the knee @Joffey . The ridged fit of the bike on the trainer is probably a bit unforgiving and if you have a marked increase in volume and/ or intensity it starts to give you clues about your biomechanics . I agree with Pete regarding bike fit and also have found cleat wedges helpful , if the pain is on the inside of the knee good quality arch supports make a big difference , I use Sidas and Sole heat mouldable ones . I also think we can become too specific by just only doing cycling and then we can get weakness and imbalance in other areas so gently staring a bit of mobility and strength exercise regime definitely makes you more resilient . It can be frustrating and a bit of a puzzle to figure out as we are all unique . Bike fits are great and give you a good ball park but I’m not sure if they’d get you spot on for full on Zwift racing as they aren’t observing that .

I have been thinking about insoles - I may try some of those Sidas ones. Cheers!

bobinski

Legendary Member
Well, I hadn't expected to be Zwift racing yesterday but my IRL Bash Chaingang was cancelled due to the weather and as Nick had to drop out I was able to slot in.

The only Zwift stuff I've done for the last couple of months has been the British Cycling/British Masters Race series (4 races over 8 weeks). They were hard, all over an hour, but the starts were less frenetic than the ZRL is.

Knowing there were 15 climbs was a bit daunting, but you tend to end up in a group that has similar capabilities to you.

I felt I was getting (relatively) stronger as the race went on - I am more of an endurance than sprint person - and finished 38th in a time of 1:12:37 which I was reasonably pleased with.

I was with Tommy for a while and wondered why he was there - and was impressed how he caught the group(s) ahead. I also saw Pete's figures drop to zero so guessed he'd had another BT fail - nightmare.

If anyone is interested, video is here....

View: https://youtu.be/tI_ImFVezGI

Top effort there Martin 👍

peterob

Veteran
Yes please - be interesting to see how they have built one
Here's a pic of the one I'm using. I'm sure @CXRAndy would be able able to provide some tips as he built this and I think then went on and built a full length (both wheels) one.

Only issue with it is that the dog likes to nick the tennis balls when it's in the garage :laugh:

Here's a pic of the one I'm using. I'm sure @CXRAndy would be able able to provide some tips as he built this and I think then went on and built a full length (both wheels) one.

Only issue with it is that the dog likes to nick the tennis balls when it's in the garage :laugh:
View attachment 587280
Hey Pete, that's actually a cat. Is that the same kind of "dog" that caused your bad crash last year?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

View attachment 587280

Glad to see it still going strong Pete :okay:

Hi Joffey, here is my thread from my build https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/turbo-rocker-board.232667/

Ive also built a full size version. A few of us have now built them, they do make riding much more natural with their sway motion. @IrishAl has built one with forward and aft motion too. Check out Facebook Rockerboards, lots of ideas and guidance too

Hope you knee settles down

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

Is it worth dropping the reality to say 20%, so that none of the hills really feel like hills on Zwift?

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I have my trainer difficulty on about 25% and only ever change out of the big ring for the Radio Tower and the climb at Bologna. I think I might have changed gear twice a lap last night!

Top Bottom