Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
has there been any more news about closed group rides in zwift ?

Yes it was introduced in the last update. Some events have started it and more will be following. All the KISS events are expected to be closed this week.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Excellent ride with Tommy "stealth" Turbo. Anyone on the ride in Wales notice how he kinda holds your slip stream until the last few metres and powers ahead? TST did that to me on Ditchling even shouting out something about it being the last bend before he shot past and surged 13s ahead :evil: I shouted something too, beginning with "F" ....

Seriously though, great ride , excellent company ( even if he practically pleaded with me not to sprint at the finish:rolleyes::tongue:) and hope to ride with TST again, as well as Bill and anyone else on here - well almost anyone.

Check out the Strava times over ditchling Bob. We didn't fare too badly in the end mate! One guy got the KOM going down the other side too but I don't think we'll be chasing his 54 mph down any time soon :blink:

Breedon

Legendary Member
Just did a FTP test on trainer road, i had to ajust the resistance setting mid ride as it was on 100% and could hardly turn the pedals so its set at 10% now, erg mode is a bit hit and miss as it seems to come and go so to speak.
I put my FTP at 228 i i wanted to be realistic, so with me ajusting settings mid test it came to 224 so i ignored that :tongue: and kept it at 228.

I put power smoothing at 3s will that make any difference? as it was kind of tricky keeping to to targeted power but this does seem normal for neo owners.

Over all not a bad session considering i had a large tea abot 3 hours before and it was 21c in the dining room.

JLaw

Veteran
Roadworks on Zwift ?!? Now that is realism for you :rofl:
Lol. The Snowbird Hill climb is my one real life race... Though participation and support is waning. I can recall 300+ participating in the past. We barely made 100 last year. It doesn't help that they keep moving it -- I guess they don't want the sweaty bikers to interfere with the highly profitable Octoberfest or the tour of Utah race...

si_c

Guru
Did the KISS Europe race tonight, first time I've tried racing using Zwift. Much much much harder than it looks.
There were 20 odd racers in C group, and it pretty quickly split out into two groups, one fast, one slow, and I was just caning myself trying to keep up with the faster group. Kept having to wind up to 4ish w/kg to get into the bunch, and then despite everyone else holding around 2.5-2.8 I was having trouble keeping with them at 3.5 ish.

There's definitely a knack to it, was quite fun though, started winding quite a few people back in as we went over box hill, so I think I finished in a reasonably respectable time. Waiting for the results to update now, time for a shower and raid the biscuit tin.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Did the KISS Europe race tonight, first time I've tried racing using Zwift. Much much much harder than it looks.
There were 20 odd racers in C group, and it pretty quickly split out into two groups, one fast, one slow, and I was just caning myself trying to keep up with the faster group. Kept having to wind up to 4ish w/kg to get into the bunch, and then despite everyone else holding around 2.5-2.8 I was having trouble keeping with them at 3.5 ish.

There's definitely a knack to it, was quite fun though, started winding quite a few people back in as we went over box hill, so I think I finished in a reasonably respectable time. Waiting for the results to update now, time for a shower and raid the biscuit tin.

From my limited race experience is to start briskly to get up the front of the pack and stay with the front runners. It will hopefully allow you to cover pace changes and breaks. Once you drop down the pack splits happen very quickly and you can be left high and dry going into the red just to catch up.

si_c

Guru
From my limited race experience is to start briskly to get up the front of the pack and stay with the front runners. It will hopefully allow you to cover pace changes and breaks. Once you drop down the pack splits happen very quickly and you can be left high and dry going into the red just to catch up.
That's pretty much whats happened to me. The race was very fast paced, around half the people got bumped from C to B, including me, I was riding so hard that zwift has decided to bump my FTP by 30W. I think if those at the front had held back a little more, then I wouldn't have had to redline so much, and would probably have had a much more comfortable race.

Breedon

Legendary Member
How are you finding TR Dean, not too boring?
It's alright to be fair better than I thought, I find reading the text that comes up quite handy so takes my mind of things, going to up my ftp to my zwift ftp as it slightly easy, did up and overs today and for the last set I increased workout intensity to 111% and felt it.

JLaw

Veteran
Back after a week in the Utah deserts. Thankfully the huge Brian Head fire didn't affect our plans in any significant way, though the smoke did significantly impact visibility in Bryce and nighttime star gazing. 50k+ acres burned -- all because someone's was using a weed burner and it went out of control.

Monday's race was a bit on the short side; a couple laps of the London Classique course. We had a relatively large group for the first lap. Not much interest in anyone making a break except for one gent who went off the front ~5 minutes in and seemed intent on going harder than the group, at least for a little while. I covered, but probably shouldn't have bothered. I realized it after catching him and was content to hang on at whatever pace he set -- essentially saying, if you go hard, I'm coming with you, else I'm content to be caught by the larger group. Sure enough with just him pulling we were caught by the large group. We stayed as a group until the last couple miles when folks started dropping off -- I dropped off with about a mile to go. I finished 5th in the group, just 17 seconds off the leaders. 1st-3rd plus one DQ'd rider all finished within a second of each other, so I'm sure it was hard fought at the front. It was a good 30 minute workout as except for the one chase and little hills I was pretty consistent on the power until I got dropped.

Tues was a couple London Loop laps, so two climbs up box hill. I really thought I nailed the first one -- I was ever-so-slightly faster than the group I was with, so I slowly pulled away on the climb and had someone ahead to chase for motivation. I finally caught my prey on the flat part before the final bump to the KOM banner. I thought I'd nailed a PB, but that wasn't the case. Sigh. Of course going that hard, there was a price to pay and I did. I was able to stay with a group into the second climb, at which point several faded off into the distance. As we started the descent I found myself with one other rider going back and forth on the downhill. We stayed together through the tunnel and into the climb out of the station. I was able to keep the power through the top of that climb and opened a small gap and spent the remainder of the race just maintaining that gap -- every time his power went up, so did mine. It wasn't my strongest sprint at the end, but it was enough to keep him a couple seconds behind. 18th of 26 -- decent for me given the climbs. It's kidnof interesting to look at the power graph. Peak 20-30 minute power from the start. My peaks in the 2-10 minute range on the first climb up box hill and the short peaks for the final climb out of the station and final sprint.

Not sure what the plan is for today & Friday yet.

Top Bottom