Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
RGT beta.

I have lovely red anodised calipers from juin. Not quite as good as shimano ultrega hydraulic but good enough and much better than calipers. Light 2 finger brake control on descents is a blast.

Confused-you are not in Provence yet so what are you riding today?

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
RGT beta.

I have lovely red anodised calipers from juin. Not quite as good as shimano ultrega hydraulic but good enough and much better than calipers. Light 2 finger brake control on descents is a blast.

I've always been happy with caliper brakes but then I've never used disc brakes on a road bike so can't really give an informed comparison. People have been descending on them for years though so... Set up is key with calipers. I.e. Correct brake pad for rim and well adjusted calipers.

It's funny but for what looks like a relatively simple mechanism there very are noticeable differences in braking quality between makes, even at a similar price point. I'm personally not a big fan of sram although I've only used their 'red aerolinks'.

bobinski

Legendary Member
TT, I had a pretty scary experience on a hired bike with old style ultrega calipers coming down into Morzine on switchbacks in heavy rain a few years back. I had already found the calipers less powerful than the sram on my old bike. I am a pretty poor descender anyway but i just feel more confident with discs. Descending on unfamiliar roads down mountains tests riders and equipment. Our 2 fastest descenders both ran calipers on aluminium rims and had to replace the brake blocks after 5 days. Both agreed scrubbing speed to lean into a switchback took more effort with calipers than disc. One isn't fussed-like you he says calipers have worked fine for lots of people for years- and the other will replace his current bike with a disc bike. Once he does i would like to see the 2 of them go head to head. And try and follow their lines^_^

<Tommy>

TT, I had a pretty scary experience on a hired bike with old style ultrega calipers coming down into Morzine on switchbacks in heavy rain a few years back. I had already found the calipers less powerful than the sram on my old bike. I am a pretty poor descender anyway but i just feel more confident with discs. Descending on unfamiliar roads down mountains tests riders and equipment. Our 2 fastest descenders both ran calipers on aluminium rims and had to replace the brake blocks after 5 days. Both agreed scrubbing speed to lean into a switchback took more effort with calipers than disc. One isn't fussed-like you he says calipers have worked fine for lots of people for years- and the other will replace his current bike with a disc bike. Once he does i would like to see the 2 of them go head to head. And try and follow their lines^_^

Yeah I think if I was doing lots of descending with the prospect of crappy weather I'd choose discs too mate.

I have ultegra 10 speed on my commuter and I agree the calipers have a spongy, disappointing feel to them. Fine for pancake flat London but I wouldn't back them on serious descents. Even with swisstop or koolstop pads which are generally recognised as being excellent. I think the newer 6800 calipers are better and the 105 (5800) ones are supposed to be very decent.

I've had dura ace 9000 on my best bike and they were awesome. Like razor sharp and super strong. I'd happily descend on them with full confidence, even with carbon rims they're fantastic. I then swapped them with the rest of the groupset for sram and they were only marginally better than ultegra 6700 which felt like a real step backwards. Plus, i didn't like the look of them on my bike, so I swapped them out for EE cycle works brakes. These are things of beauty and on par with the DA9000. The fact I'm a bit of a weight weenie may also play into this love affair somewhat...

I still maintain though that well set up caliper brakes are just as good as disc brakes in dry conditions. Good cable tension, good brake cables, good distance between pad and wheel, good brake surface, good wheel / pad combo. But in the wet I'm sure it's a different story.

I think I'm more put off by the way discs look and the marginal weight penalty than anything else but I never denied being a complete tart! :rolleyes:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Yeah I think if I was doing lots of descending with the prospect of crappy weather I'd choose discs too mate.

I have ultegra 10 speed on my commuter and I agree the calipers have a spongy, disappointing feel to them. Fine for pancake flat London but I wouldn't back them on serious descents. Even with swisstop or koolstop pads which are generally recognised as being excellent. I think the newer 6800 calipers are better and the 105 (5800) ones are supposed to be very decent.

I've had dura ace 9000 on my best bike and they were awesome. Like razor sharp and super strong. I'd happily descend on them with full confidence, even with carbon rims they're fantastic. I then swapped them with the rest of the groupset for sram and they were only marginally better than ultegra 6700 which felt like a real step backwards. Plus, i didn't like the look of them on my bike, so I swapped them out for EE cycle works brakes. These are things of beauty and on par with the DA9000. The fact I'm a bit of a weight weenie may also play into this love affair somewhat...

I still maintain though that well set up caliper brakes are just as good as disc brakes in dry conditions. Good cable tension, good brake cables, good distance between pad and wheel, good brake surface, good wheel / pad combo. But in the wet I'm sure it's a different story.

I think I'm more put off by the way discs look and the marginal weight penalty than anything else but I never denied being a complete tart! :rolleyes:

Tommy, It's not for me to comment on whether I agree you are a bit of a tart :whistle:

That's a lot of "good"s and knowledge of fettling there. Discs- fit and forget. I agree though they are an acquired taste aesthetically but getting better all the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...s-mont-ventoux-cycling?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
RGT beta.

55miles up beaten up already. 50miles back maybe

Attachments

• 20170709_122936.jpg
    20170709_122936.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 28

<Tommy>

Tommy, It's not for me to comment on whether I agree you are a bit of a tart :whistle:

That's a lot of "good"s and knowledge of fettling there. Discs- fit and forget. I agree though they are an acquired taste aesthetically but getting better all the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...s-mont-ventoux-cycling?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Lots of the things or variations of the things I mentioned need to be taken into account when first setting up discs too to be fair. And disc also obviously have their own maintenance schedule. I don't generally have to do anything to my calipers barring adjusting them when the blocks wear or eventually replace the blocks.

Regarding the article I'm always suprised when they omit ventoux or d'huez to be honest. But I do still like the fact they change the general course / stages each year. And the grand departs are great in my opinion.

It is a funny quirk that some cyclists from past generations are hailed as legends where others will forever be tarred and feathered! However Armstrong will always be in a league of his own!

bobinski

Legendary Member
Tommy, I hadn't touched my ultrega or Juin disc set up in over a year.- but then I am a lazy git ^_^ Both set ups effectively auto adjust for pad wear.

It's fascinating isn't it? Not that different perhaps to deciding whether it's ok to listen to Wagner or more contemporaneously, the Smiths ^_^

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Just back. Garmin died on 90 or so miles but recorded the remaining miles, so 98 in total. Now if I'd known about this feature I would of ridden the extra to round it up to 100miles - arrgh

A much longer club run than usual, mainly due to the organiser wanting to put some miles in for his 100mile TT:ohmy: Action packed day, There were 2 groups going out with half an hour difference in start time. I went with the faster group knowing i could always ride back with the slower group on the way home and that is what I did. Going out we had to stop to wait for our fastest club rider to catch up:wacko: wait for a fast guy. Then everyone was taking a pee. One guy disappeared until we started riding and saw him doing a 'Domoulon' in a field. He thought he couldn't be seen but everyone could see him as we passed, much hilarity ensued. Wished someone had taken a picture, we could of used it at the Christmas event :laugh:

A new guy joined us today, weighing 57KG :ohmy:, he nearly fell off when he tried to move me because of a car coming the other way, he literally bounced off me:tongue: which fortunately regained his balance.

The pace going out was fast for me(17.2) and became too much once we hit the hills around Oakham where i was dropped on the outward leg:sad: the guys were very kind and patiently waited a few times until they pissed off and left me to find my own way there. A long break at Mt. Ventoux Cafe for beans on toast but well worth it and a pleasant 2nd stop for ice creams on the way home.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Just back. Garmin died on 90 or so miles but recorded the remaining miles, so 98 in total. Now if I'd known about this feature I would of ridden the extra to round it up to 100miles - arrgh

AA long break at Mt. Ventoux Cafe for beans on toast but well worth it and a pleasant 2nd stop for ice creams on the way home.

Perhaps not so pleasant for anyone behind you on the way back:tongue:

Seriously, sounds like a good ride Andy.

Get a wahoo element.

<Tommy>

For a weight weenie surely has to be the bolt.
For my fading eyes I fear its the Element :smile:

I'm leaning slightly to the element too. Or maybe get the bolt but split info between 2 pages but that could be annoying.

I think I need to hold them both in my hand before I choose. Are you revving up to getting one soon Bob?

Top Bottom