Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I think we are a similar age. I'm 59 in January.

The 2 sessions are both on days I cycle train as well. Mondays are complete rest - core is Wednesday (also a moderate ride) and legs are on Sundays after usually a Z1 or Z2 ride.

As I've only been going 6 weeks, I'm not sure how recovery will change. For the first 4 weeks my TSS was less than I had been doing although the hard sessions were REALLY hard. TSS is building now as he adds volume.

Actually, you are an old git- I am only 57 😁

seriously though, sounds interesting. FWIW I am more fatigued by the racing and intermittent riding than a hard SF week. For me the question is whether that level of fatigue and the recovery needed is better for long term power and endurance improvement than the SF plan. I doubt it is but I do like a race!

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I started doing weights a few weeks back when I joined the gym, but to be honest I've slacked a bit recently (I just find it really boring - I much prefer a cardio type workout!). I rarely did leg work with the weights though because doing the cycling and now running I found my poor legs were already in pieces and it felt like it would only make them sorer! Cycling fitness aside, I think its a good idea to do some weights for general health/fitness reasons - I wish I could find a way of enjoying it a bit more
I started legs strength weights a few years after my first year racing in the entry/bottom category in the Irish race scene. Every race seemed to come down to a bunch sprint so the only way to get points to upgrade was to be a good sprinter. I did a winter of weights once a week - routine consisted of approx 4 circuits of squats straight into box jumps, light bench press, shoulder press, calf raises and a bicep/triceps exercise, repeat. I kept the rest period to a minimum and the session passed by quite quickly. That season I got the places to get upgraded. Now I’m in races where it was less dependant on sprinting but more on stamina and ability to get into breakaways - 3 years later and I’m yet to get a point. :laugh:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Has anybody watched the Game Changers documentary on Netflix about plant based diets? Quite one sided but it certainly gives some food for thought ...no pun intended. I’m thinking of giving it a go but might need to research a bit more to make sure I get the right amount of proteins, fats, carbs etc...it would be interesting to see if the results are anything like those on the documentary. Also I think it would more environmentally friendly going meat free.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Has anybody watched the Game Changers documentary on Netflix about plant based diets? Quite one sided but it certainly gives some food for thought ...no pun intended. I’m thinking of giving it a go but might need to research a bit more to make sure I get the right amount of proteins, fats, carbs etc...it would be interesting to see if the results are anything like those on the documentary. Also I think it would more environmentally friendly going meat free.
I watched it a week ago and have only eaten meat once- last night since. Lots of good reasons to cut down on if not stop eating meat altogether but the claimed health and recovery benefits for us elite athletes seem overwhelming 😁 Mrs B is vegetarian and a darned good cook so should be easy enough to give it a proper go .As you can imagine lots of peeps disagree with the suggestion athletes benefit but no one gets harmed if they try it.

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I was talking about that documentary with a work mate yesterday funnily enough. I need to give it a watch. He’s on the brink of being full vegan, me struggling with the idea of cutting out meat completely.

peterob

Veteran
Actually, you are an old git- I am only 57 😁

seriously though, sounds interesting. FWIW I am more fatigued by the racing and intermittent riding than a hard SF week. For me the question is whether that level of fatigue and the recovery needed is better for long term power and endurance improvement than the SF plan. I doubt it is but I do like a race!
How are you finding Sufferfest @bobinski? I did the full-frontal test at the weekend - apparently my rider type is 'time triallist' and my (biggest) weakspot is VO2. So it looks like I need to do lots of sessions at my maximal aerobic power :eek:

What type of rider are you?
(.....awaits many scornful replies :tongue:)

bobinski

Legendary Member
How are you finding Sufferfest @bobinski? I did the full-frontal test at the weekend - apparently my rider type is 'time triallist' and my (biggest) weakspot is VO2. So it looks like I need to do lots of sessions at my maximal aerobic power :eek:

What type of rider are you?
(.....awaits many scornful replies :tongue:)

Thought you were and meant to pm you. it’s a killer isn’t it? The 5 min effort and the one min at the end? 😂
I really like it. Ok, it’s a bit American in its approach and humour and I supposed I could get fed up of seeing the same videos in a plan but when I am on it I am totally engrossed and desperate to hit those numbers. I like the fact the FF gives you numbers across the board and that the targets you are then set eg. 5 min power, etc. reflect that, not just an ftp number. They are an off shoot of TR and rooted in sports science so all the benefits without looking at those graphs. Anyway, I think it is working for me.
I am a Rouler😀 493430

bridgy

Legendary Member
Sorry, been busy but will set up meetup for tonight and Thursday shortly - we up for a short flat TT thsi week?!

I won't be able to make it tonight but will hoepfully be there Thursday

peterob

Veteran
Thought you were and meant to pm you. it’s a killer isn’t it? The 5 min effort and the one min at the end? 😂
I really like it. Ok, it’s a bit American in its approach and humour and I supposed I could get fed up of seeing the same videos in a plan but when I am on it I am totally engrossed and desperate to hit those numbers. I like the fact the FF gives you numbers across the board and that the targets you are then set eg. 5 min power, etc. reflect that, not just an ftp number. They are an off shoot of TR and rooted in sports science so all the benefits without looking at those graphs. Anyway, I think it is working for me.
I am a Rouler😀 View attachment 493430
Yeah the full frontal left me totally wrecked! xx( The 4DP philosophy seems to makes sense in order to pinpoint and target weaknesses.

I have a soft spot for Sufferfest after using their videos years ago when I first got into cycling to lose weight (dumb trainer in the flat when I worked away). Even without a PM I found the videos pretty motivating just using perceived effort (Downward Spiral was my reluctant favourite). I'm interested in seeing how it goes with having numbers to adhere to.

Top Bottom