Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
same here. I get they want to keep things interesting but this bit I’ve quoted below seems excessive to me.

“• Soon, dirt performance will be a factor in wheel choice. Currently, all road tires perform the same in dirt, and only the mountain bike (with its MTB tires) performs differently. This will change when Zwift begins releasing more wheelsets, and they may even change the Crr values of some existing wheelsets.”

It’s very gimmicky to me. They could at least let you choose tyres separately from wheels if they want to go down this route.
I've thought about this and I tend to agree that it's an added complication we don't really need. But, if the time differences between different wheelsets is minimal, I guess it's not really that much different to the current situation of different frames and wheelsets giving a slight advantage on different terrain (eg lightweight wheels are slightly faster up mountains) which we're used to and have accepted. If you change the spec of your bike for one that's best suited to climbing the Alpe it's not really any different changing your spec for best performance on gravel. https://zwiftinsider.com/ is on the case and just like he's done loads of tests to confirm the fastest setups for flat/hills etc I'm sure he'll provide data on the best equipment options for routes with gravel sections once Zwift release wheelsets optimised for gravel - which I assume is their plan eventually.

The one thing I would like to see - which may exist but I can't find it - is a comprehensive summary which routes have gravel sections, how long they are and exactly where they are, because this would be vital for making an informed decision on setup. It's easy to see the profile of a course to decide on whether to go for a climbing or pure speed setup, so knowing where the gravel is will soon also be essential I think!

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I was in a race on Friday around Watopia flat and the race blew apart on the dusty sectors just out of the underwater tunnel. Clearly there were riders unaffected by the gravel there and they got a flyer on others like me as others have noticed on the gravel jungle sectors.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I was in a race on Friday around Watopia flat and the race blew apart on the dusty sectors just out of the underwater tunnel. Clearly there were riders unaffected by the gravel there and they got a flyer on others like me as others have noticed on the gravel jungle sectors.
Hopefully this is just still some people using the old version of Zwift for some reason. I guess Zwift Power will have to filter out riders from race results who aren't on the latest version if they don't already? Hopefully we'll all be on the updated version by now so that shouldn't happen.

As it says in the article, with added resistance in gravel now, it will encourage attacks there - much like the attacks you get in a race whenever the road goes up at all! But obviously there needs to be a level playing field with everyone on the same software version

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
same here. I get they want to keep things interesting but this bit I’ve quoted below seems excessive to me.

“• Soon, dirt performance will be a factor in wheel choice. Currently, all road tires perform the same in dirt, and only the mountain bike (with its MTB tires) performs differently. This will change when Zwift begins releasing more wheelsets, and they may even change the Crr values of some existing wheelsets.”

It’s very gimmicky to me. They could at least let you choose tyres separately from wheels if they want to go down this route.
They need a way to simplify the garage. At the moment you need to hunt through each bike / wheel brand, see and compare what you’ve got based on their star ratings. My Zwift garage is almost as cluttered with bikes as my real life garage 😄. They should have a way to favourite your best frames and wheels and consign the rest to a virtual pile or zkip.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I've thought about this and I tend to agree that it's an added complication we don't really need. But, if the time differences between different wheelsets is minimal, I guess it's not really that much different to the current situation of different frames and wheelsets giving a slight advantage on different terrain (eg lightweight wheels are slightly faster up mountains) which we're used to and have accepted. If you change the spec of your bike for one that's best suited to climbing the Alpe it's not really any different changing your spec for best performance on gravel. https://zwiftinsider.com/ is on the case and just like he's done loads of tests to confirm the fastest setups for flat/hills etc I'm sure he'll provide data on the best equipment options for routes with gravel sections once Zwift release wheelsets optimised for gravel - which I assume is their plan eventually.

The one thing I would like to see - which may exist but I can't find it - is a comprehensive summary which routes have gravel sections, how long they are and exactly where they are, because this would be vital for making an informed decision on setup. It's easy to see the profile of a course to decide on whether to go for a climbing or pure speed setup, so knowing where the gravel is will soon also be essential I think!

Yeah I think we’ll have to hold judgment until it’s released. Like you say if it holds to reality it shouldn’t make much difference. But it is another variable on top of other variables. I don’t want to get to the stage where before every race I’ve got to do a recce to work out how each part of the course is going to effect my tires. And then go through the garage working out the pros and cons of each wheel set.

And the worse bit will be after the race listening to (people or person who will remain unamed), using it as an excuse for their times. Ok, to be fair that last bit will be quite entertaining and I’ll probably join in 😄

bobinski

Legendary Member
Yeah I think we’ll have to hold judgment until it’s released. Like you say if it holds to reality it shouldn’t make much difference. But it is another variable on top of other variables. I don’t want to get to the stage where before every race I’ve got to do a recce to work out how each part of the course is going to effect my tires. And then go through the garage working out the pros and cons of each wheel set.

And the worse bit will be after the race listening to (people or person who will remain unamed), using it as an excuse for their times. Ok, to be fair that last bit will be quite entertaining and I’ll probably join in 😄

🤔

Top Bottom