Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuhaL

Guru
Sexual tension ^_^:becool:
Someday when i my wheels need to truing i tell mechanic adjust the spokes sexual tension :becool:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
TBF to Tommy he has always said the goal is fun and fitness.
I can see the attraction of the Danish league and may join the next one but , especially as our numbers have grown, I would like it if we all raced each other. It adds a certain frisson.

Yeah I normally just go with the flow really. I dint know why I’ve given the impression of anything else? But sorry if that’s the case. I think I’ve tried most the different variety of races and if someone wants to race I normally just join the one they’ve chosen. Seems to have been a bit of a bone of contention that more of the B cat racers haven’t joined the danish thing. But like I said earlier I just think it’s the ways it’s gone. It’s not a conspiracy. People should just join the races they want to after all!
To be honest as you may have noticed if you follow me on Strava riding on zwift hasn't been very high on my list of priorities over the last few weeks. I don’t air my problems in public so I’ll leave that like that.

If someone wants to call me out for not being a team player or whatever because I don’t join a certain race. Or maybe my sense of humour is to sarcastic for some people. I’m genuinely sorry about that. But I have bigger problems at the moment like we all do. And I pass through here for the jokes and banter. So I can only suggest if people take offence to what I say (I don’t blame you I offend myself sometimes! 😄) it’s probably best you put me on your ignore list because life is too short.

Now let’s move on eh! :okay:

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Went out in the real world today, before that gets banned too ... blinkin eck it were windy! Headwinds I can deal with, but the sudden crosswind gusts were worrying at times :eek: Road surfaces in this neck of the woods are pretty bad, so didn't push too hard, mostly pootled around at a (probably) zone 2 pace :tongue: Looking forward to warmer days now :sun:

How’s the bike? Have you got it nicely dialled in?

Del C

Veteran
I have the motivation ... what I don't have is the numbers :banghead: I need to average 250 watts over 20 mins, and I can't seem to get higher than 245 in a race. If I could just hold a steady power with no surges, I'd be ok I think, but it's the crazy starts, puts me in the red early and I can't hold the power then for the whole 20 mins.

I'll get there eventually :biggrin:

Here's an interesting comparison between us from Zwiftpower.

Having got to B Cat late in 2019, I then fell back to C after my cardio episode. Actually, once my better results had dropped out of the Zwiftpower calculation, my w/kg was down to something like 2.9, so way off the cat boundary.

feltet.dk is what has pushed me back to B cat. I looked at the overall comparison between our figures below on Zwiftpower, and then looked at our finishing places and power figures on the stages of feltet.dk that we rode together. From the overall figures, I think it looks strange that I've been promoted to B and you're still in C.

But when you look at our individual stage results I think the answer starts to become clearer. The figures below show we're almost the same weight, although I'm obviously much taller! So weight is not a factor.

On a flat route, Watopia's Waistband for Stage 2, I ended up over a minute ahead of you. On Stage 3, Innsbruck, you were a minute ahead of me, but most of that came about from the last climb up the Leg Snapper. I was still getting back to form at that point and the 3rd ascent killed me, but even on the 1st and 2nd ascent I got dropped and had to chase back on to the lead group.

On Stage 4, Richmond I was about 25 seconds ahead of you, but you pulled back over 30 seconds on me on the last climb over the 3 humps. I know that because I could see you were over a minute down on me before we started the climbs. I rode well that day. I was certainly coming back into from and I was strong on the flat sections and had PBs on the first time over the three humps.

Stage 5 we pretty much rode together. We finished with you ahead of me but with the same time, but my feeling that day was that you were stronger in the sprint and the early part of the steep climb, but again I pulled you back over the length of the steep climb. That was the ride that put me back in B, so clearly I was putting out the sustained power required even though you crossed the line just ahead of me.

So, what does all that mean? I think on the flats I hold a slightly higher power than you, which shows in my 20 minute figures and in the races. It's not a big margin, but it's there. That's what seems to tip me into B. Why not you as well? I suspect part of this is that that you're better at drafting than me and that means you're putting out a little less power than me over 20 minutes

Your short term power is higher than mine. I think this shows on punchy climbs where you pull away from me, but I seem to pull you back over a longer climb. Again that looks like short term versus long term power to me.

So, it looks to me like its your 20 minute power that's the issue. But if you raise that by drafting less, then will you pay for that later in the race? Or it's a genius tactic of your that's keeping you up the sharp end of C cat races, rather than trundling around at the back of B cat like me!

That's because the flip side of this for me, is that I can hold the 20 minute power required for B, but my short term power sees me struggle at the start, on punchy climbs and sprints.

Carl Whorton3.4 wkg249 w7.0 wkg520 w16074.0kg235w50+
Derek Cobb3.4 wkg255 w5.6 wkg419 w12073.9kg251w60+

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Love this bug in Zwift 😂
708FFA73-10AF-4C3A-81F5-7720D11DF955.jpeg

bobinski

Legendary Member

Having got to B Cat late in 2019, I then fell back to C after my cardio episode. Actually, once my better results had dropped out of the Zwiftpower calculation, my w/kg was down to something like 2.9, so way off the cat boundary.

feltet.dk is what has pushed me back to B cat. I looked at the overall comparison between our figures below on Zwiftpower, and then looked at our finishing places and power figures on the stages of feltet.dk that we rode together. From the overall figures, I think it looks strange that I've been promoted to B and you're still in C.

But when you look at our individual stage results I think the answer starts to become clearer. The figures below show we're almost the same weight, although I'm obviously much taller! So weight is not a factor.

On a flat route, Watopia's Waistband for Stage 2, I ended up over a minute ahead of you. On Stage 3, Innsbruck, you were a minute ahead of me, but most of that came about from the last climb up the Leg Snapper. I was still getting back to form at that point and the 3rd ascent killed me, but even on the 1st and 2nd ascent I got dropped and had to chase back on to the lead group.

On Stage 4, Richmond I was about 25 seconds ahead of you, but you pulled back over 30 seconds on me on the last climb over the 3 humps. I know that because I could see you were over a minute down on me before we started the climbs. I rode well that day. I was certainly coming back into from and I was strong on the flat sections and had PBs on the first time over the three humps.

Stage 5 we pretty much rode together. We finished with you ahead of me but with the same time, but my feeling that day was that you were stronger in the sprint and the early part of the steep climb, but again I pulled you back over the length of the steep climb. That was the ride that put me back in B, so clearly I was putting out the sustained power required even though you crossed the line just ahead of me.

So, what does all that mean? I think on the flats I hold a slightly higher power than you, which shows in my 20 minute figures and in the races. It's not a big margin, but it's there. That's what seems to tip me into B. Why not you as well? I suspect part of this is that that you're better at drafting than me and that means you're putting out a little less power than me over 20 minutes

Your short term power is higher than mine. I think this shows on punchy climbs where you pull away from me, but I seem to pull you back over a longer climb. Again that looks like short term versus long term power to me.

So, it looks to me like its your 20 minute power that's the issue. But if you raise that by drafting less, then will you pay for that later in the race? Or it's a genius tactic of your that's keeping you up the sharp end of C cat races, rather than trundling around at the back of B cat like me!

That's because the flip side of this for me, is that I can hold the 20 minute power required for B, but my short term power sees me struggle at the start, on punchy climbs and sprints.

In other words Del you push harder for longer and Whorty is good at fits and spurts?

Went out in the real world today, before that gets banned too ... blinkin eck it were windy! Headwinds I can deal with, but the sudden crosswind gusts were worrying at times :eek: Road surfaces in this neck of the woods are pretty bad, so didn't push too hard, mostly pootled around at a (probably) zone 2 pace :tongue: Looking forward to warmer days now :sun:
On the new bike?

what’s frisson mean ? You making up words for randy again ?
On a triple word square 15 points.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
How’s the bike? Have you got it nicely dialled in?
Only the second ride since getting it last October so still bedding in really. Feels fine, though I will take it back to the LBS once I've ridden it a few more times (and shop is open) just to have a check over to make sure everything tight etc.

It's really nice having the Di2 - didn't think I'd need it, but as my gear changing is so rubbish it gives me confidence.

A couple of little hills today with ramps of 6%-9% and they were easy with this gearing.

Just need some warm weather ...... I'm most definitely a fair weather cyclist :laugh:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

I thinks that's a pretty spot on assessment - it's the flats that I struggle to keep the power up over 20 minutes, especially if there is a very fast start. I think if the lead group was less franetic, and surged less, I'd stay with them longer and may get pushed into B, but because of the higher power I pop and end up having to get a breather and pick up the second group .... and this is where my average watts drops. Tuesday, 10 minutes in my chest was burning but I held on as long as possible, but the first sprint eventually did for me :B)

I also do try to be as smart as possible with drafting as I know I haven't got the top end power to pull away - I'm never looking at my watts when I'm doing this, I'm literally just looking at the wheel in front trying to stay towards the pointy end of the race, but not put my nose in front.

The B cat is the 249 vs 255 figure ... 250 is B cat for me, but I just can't get that extra watt :banghead:

Top Bottom