Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Ah that makes sense Aleman :okay:

With regards the left right balance thing it's a bit of a funny one for me. To balance it out are you supposed to try and push harder with the leg that's letting the side down? If I'm at full tilt I'm going as hard as I can so.... but maybe it's more an issue of technique rather than outright power. I know Andy did sessions based around smoothness of pedal stroke on trainerroad last year so maybe he knows a bit more about it.

Maybe it doesn't matter in itself if one leg is working harder than the other but it may show there's an underlying flaw with the smoothness of your pedal stroke.

I did Tommy, TR broke the pedal stroke down to four parts, push over the top, force down, pull back at the bottom of the stroke and lift. I found it really does work in giving a little extra power without depending too much on one muscle group. The race on Tuesday, in the latter part where I was losing form due to fatigue, I forced myself to be more smooth and concentrate alot on form, my power jumped up 15 Watts. I was beginning to pedal square just before

berty bassett

Legendary Member
TT have a go on some rollers - they are great for smoothing pedal stroke out - with the added danger of going ares over teet if you get it wrong !!:B):biggrin:

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
TT have a go on some rollers - they are great for smoothing pedal stroke out - with the added danger of going ares over teet if you get it wrong !!:B):biggrin:
I have a set you can have ... I've only managed to launch myself off them once ... at about 25MPH ... luckily for me I was on the patio and managed to catch it.

Love rollers ... ride a turbo :laugh::laugh:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Great Pace Paul, looked a tough race
Thanks Andy - it was! Aren't they all?!

Got dropped by the lead group as usual. Put a huge effort into catching back up but to no avail and was left on my own for most of the race. With just a few miles left I was joined by another cat A rider who must have waited for me so we worked together until the end but he out - sprinted me.

I'm gradually realising there is quite a lot to learn about how to race in Zwift - I think I am getting a little better at it slowly!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
If you find yourself dropped from the front pack and all alone its better to let another group catch you, than try to solo away. In the latter stages when most riders are fatigued, then is it worth going for a break.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

I used to get around town on an old track bike and that definitely helped me to learn how to use the whole rotation of the pedal stroke. Although when the atom does turn up it'll probably say I'm about as smooth as a badgers ar$e!

I really don't fancy rollers though mate, basically because I know I'll deck it and the missus won't ever let me forget about it :huh:

bridgy

Legendary Member
If you find yourself dropped from the front pack and all alone its better to let another group catch you, than try to solo away. In the latter stages when most riders are fatigued, then is it worth going for a break.
I know what you're saying, but when I gave up pushing to catch back up with the lead group, the other Cat A's behind me were about 30-40 seconds back and I was if anything gradually pulling away from them so I didn't see the point in slowing down - and they never caught me so in that sense I think I did the right thing -on this occasion at least

LBHIFI

Veteran
Might be a silly question but does it make a difference if one leg is more dominant than the other? My power meter always tells me I'm 52%/48% in favour of my left leg.
I don't think so, but it's useful data to have if you go for the "cheap" left-side-only power meter solution. You could calculate the adjustment yourself, but my 4iiii has a "Scale factor" setting for just that.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I used to get around town on an old track bike and that definitely helped me to learn how to use the whole rotation of the pedal stroke. Although when the atom does turn up it'll probably say I'm about as smooth as a badgers ar$e!

I really don't fancy rollers though mate, basically because I know I'll deck it and the missus won't ever let me forget about it :huh:
Can you ask her to film it and post it up here :tongue:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I know what you're saying, but when I gave up pushing to catch back up with the lead group, the other Cat A's behind me were about 30-40 seconds back and I was if anything gradually pulling away from them so I didn't see the point in slowing down - and they never caught me so in that sense I think I did the right thing -on this occasion at least

In that situation then there is no other option but to keep going solo and see what develops. The pack always moves faster, but you'd already knows this.:okay:

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Are you sure you want the likes of me dragging you down? It's a bit unclear how this will work. Does it slow you down or speed me up :scratch:

Zwift said:
Another perk of group workouts? Everyone who pedals together, stays together. Imagine an invisible “rubber band” that keeps the peloton tight – whether you’re producing massive watts or riding mellow. As long as you pedal, you’re part of the pack for the whole workout.
I could be tempted over by this if it speeds me up :stop: :unsure: :whistle::giggle:.

kipster

Guru
Are you sure you want the likes of me dragging you down? It's a bit unclear how this will work. Does it slow you down or speed me up :scratch:

I could be tempted over by this if it speeds me up :stop: :unsure: :whistle::giggle:.

It doesn't do either of those things, it just keeps people together as long as you're pedaling, you're together. It is concentrating of the workout, the watts. I was going to try one last night, but the one that was closest to my start time looked brutal, all the talk of VO2 MAX and high power intervals put me off :-)

There is a Sweet Spot one at 18:45 tonight.

Top Bottom