Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Strange evening for me tonight. I'm sitting in the lounge with my good lady listening to her works leaving do (via Zoom). Very emotional as she's giving up work due to her health. She's worked with these guys for the best part of 15 years, and I've known most of the guys for a long time too (we'd always gate crash each others works drinks when we lived in London) plus I did some contract work for the company previously.

So nice to hear all the wonderful comments about her; they made a video of personal comments to her - real tear jerker.

She helped set this company up, set up a lot of the teams and working practices and has been a senior manager for years; they will miss her, but she will miss 'going to work' each day. Her MD is so upset she's leaving - it's so touching.

We always said when we thought her time was getting short that she should pack in work to have some quality peaceful time so this is really very emotional not only for us, but also for those at her company who know the significance of her stopping work. For the first time in probably a year I've had a couple of beers too, which is probably not helping :sad:
That must have been a very moving hour or two for both of you Whorty. It’s sad when anyone leaves a business but to hear how your wife was the life and soul of it from the start I’m sure makes it even more emotional. Good luck to both of you and make the most of retirement!

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
@Del C i think Friday suits me better this coming week. I have to go into the office On weds for the first time since lockdown for an ”important “ meeting, so I’ll probably bike to work meaning I’ll get the evil eyes thrown at me if I look near the turbo in the evening.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
That must have been a very moving hour or two for both of you Whorty. It’s sad when anyone leaves a business but to hear how your wife was the life and soul of it from the start I’m sure makes it even more emotional. Good luck to both of you and make the most of retirement!
Thanks @IrishAl , it was. She was always the party animal, always last to leave the party, and very glamorous, so for those that have known her for many years it's a shock to see how poorly she has become. They were all so kind, regaling past glories; mostly related to drink, her amazing shoe collection and karaoke. She will definitely not be forgotten which I think is all any of us can ask. :okay:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

Watched your video Carl, nice :okay:

It must be satisfying to ride 10-12bpm below max and still keep up:okay:

You burnt your matches trying to get away on the rollers after the climb hitting max HR before the sprint-try and draft and go crazy for 10 seconds.;)

I saw the DQ riders and how their Watts were just before they were DQ'd. The Frenchie, Aqua.... kept dropping on the climb and then powering for 20-30 secs to come back pushing short term W/kg over the limit (Zwift secret algo), Same for Pape, he exceeded chasing Brendan for the sprint.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Watched your video Carl, nice :okay:

It must be satisfying to ride 10-12bpm below max and still keep up:okay:

You burnt your matches trying to get away on the rollers after the climb hitting max HR before the sprint-try and draft and go crazy for 10 seconds.;)

I saw the DQ riders and how their Watts were just before they were DQ'd. The Frenchie, Aqua.... kept dropping on the climb and then powering for 20-30 secs to come back pushing short term W/kg over the limit (Zwift secret algo), Same for Pape, he exceeded chasing Brendan for the sprint.
Must confess, that wasn't a particularly hard ride for me - the punches were a nice effort, but the rolling section was pretty easy. I was a bit nervous about pushing too hard though incase I got 'coned'. Definitely time to move to B after the DBR league is over.

Re the attack, Brendan and I had talked and we said we'd try to attack about 1km out. As soon as I went into the lead it was a bit sh*t or bust for me. We'd dropped the other 3 riders so I just had to keep going. I was hoping Pape would fall away too, but didn't realise he was a top A rider :tongue:.

Of course, I could just pretend the plan all along was to lead Brendan out to victory, and I executed it perfectly :laugh:

Last edited:

JuhaL

Guru
Must confess, that wasn't a particularly hard ride for me - the punches were a nice effort, but the rolling section was pretty easy. I was a bit nervous about pushing too hard though incase I got 'coned'. Definitely time to move to B after the DBR league is over.

Re the attack, Brendan and I had talked and we said we'd try to attack about 1km out. As soon as I went into the lead it was a bit sh*t or bust for me. We'd dropped the other 3 riders so I just had to keep going. I was hoping Pape would fall away too, but didn't realise he was a top A rider :tongue:.

Of course, I could just pretend the plan all along was to lead Brendan out to victory, and I executed it perfectly :laugh:
Are you made any kind of gentleman's agreement with Brendan that next time is your turn to win?. No need to worried about rivals in a future as well, they will DQ anyway.

Del C

Veteran
I had my worst ever TTT last night In the Frappe premier League. I was dropped on the ascent of the big climb on lap 1. I got over the top of the climb about 10m behind the team but I couldn’t close the gap. My only saving grace is that 2 of my team had been dropped before me. I think the team would have been better to slow Slightly to allow me back on As I’m more of a diesel built for the flatter sections than the hills but hey ho. The team finished in 14th overall Frappe, at 41mins.

My legs still don’t feel good for the higher power needed for races, I only hope they’re back to normal for the team IRL race on Monday.
I'd suspect you weren't fully recovered after Everesting?

A lot to ask and kudos for giving it a go!

Spartak