Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I think Simon delayed releasing the podcast because of the update and maybe he reported what he expected to be in it rather than what actually was in it? i.e. features pulled out at the last minute maybe.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
From the horses mouth...(@JuhaL not literally the horse 😀)
2E236349-1C55-4EDC-AC8F-2D14B9160C01.jpeg

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm about due to buy a new laptop and ideally I'd like one that gives me the best resolution graphics in Zwift. Is that Ultra? I tend to buy from PC World / Currys. Anyone able to advise which models would give me Ultra? I am a Windows laptop sort of bloke.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/windo...328_xx_ba00010671-bv00308565/xx-criteria.html
If you want full 4K hd, select the feature down the right hand side under resolution. Ideally you're looking for a gaming PC, excellent graphics, Nvidia 2070 and i7 or i9 main processor. SSD hard drive-capacity, depends on what you want to store, lots of photos or video's etc

steverob

Guru
I'm about due to buy a new laptop and ideally I'd like one that gives me the best resolution graphics in Zwift. Is that Ultra? I tend to buy from PC World / Currys. Anyone able to advise which models would give me Ultra? I am a Windows laptop sort of bloke.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/windo...328_xx_ba00010671-bv00308565/xx-criteria.html
If you definitely want to buy one from PC World, then you're best off ticking the filter box for Gaming Laptops, rather than Windows Laptops. All the Gaming ones will be Windows ones as well, but they'll also have decent graphics cards which should all give you at least Ultra settings in Zwift, whereas the generic ones under the Windows filter category are more set up to just surf the internet and do some word processing - you'll be lucky to get Medium or High settings on these.

Of course, the more expensive laptops in the Gaming category would probably give you 4K UHD - this is the current top setting in Zwift, although you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between 4K UHD and Ultra unless you had a particularly large monitor/screen.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Doesn’t Zwiftaliser or whatever it’s called have an option to show what gives best graphics performance?
AMD have shaken up the gaming laptop market with their Ryzen chips- cheaper and better performance especially graphics and even more so with discrete graphics. Martin, what’s your budget?

Del C

Veteran
Just read this on the Zwift forums from the thread on the latest update.

No date quoted, but there's a Companion update coming that provides results for Meet Ups

8EFF0F7C-D129-4988-9AE6-8927A7A69643_4_5005_c.jpeg

Brusgaard

Über Guru
I'm about due to buy a new laptop and ideally I'd like one that gives me the best resolution graphics in Zwift. Is that Ultra? I tend to buy from PC World / Currys. Anyone able to advise which models would give me Ultra?

Anything with discrete graphics would give you Ultra. Go for an Core i5 and 8/16 GB minimum. If you want to do fancier stuff like OBS, you can take full advantage of more cores and a “real” Core i7 (H+HQ) will be good.

GTX 1660 Ti is fine for resolutions up to 1440p, higher than that you have to go for 2070, and you quickly end up paying £1200+.

Any reason why it has to be a laptop?

JuhaL

Guru
Don't know is it something to do about Zwift or is it something else but based on todays ride i like to ride more rolling roads or at least roads where is more short climbs than just a flat roads which felt today very boring.

JLaw

Veteran
So what's the plan for JB tomorrow? If we can gap the other real contenders before the climb, then we can isolate JB which opens up various possibilities.

One scenario, if JB and one of us are together after the climb with the other two a little ways behind, the rider with JB refuses to pull. JB's left with the choice of letting our rider rest while JB works, or JB can soft pedal and let our other riders catch up.

Alternately we let JB go on the climb (only if he's alone), then work together to reel him in over the back half of the course.

If we're in a group with just JB, then we gap him off the back over and over ;-) Essentially we let one rider get a big enough gap to break the draft and the other two soft pedal to get behind JB. Make JB work out of the draft to catch up, then as he gets back in the draft and lays off power, one of the two in his draft surge around and we repeat the process to soften him up (with the previous surging rider tucked into JB's draft to recover and a teammate also in JB's draft resting, ready to help or take their turn surging).

Of course if JB has teammates or other riders with him, then those ideas don't work nearly as well :-)

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Looks like there are a few ringers in C again tomorrow. An A+ rider signed up .... the guy who has been racing B and getting DQ'd the previous few weeks :wacko: Also strangely 2 C riders with 20 min power of 4.1 and 3.8 respectively - not dodgy looking at all :whistle:

Let's see who tries to latch on to their wheels for a free ride. Could be a risky move that might pay off, or backfire very badly.

Last edited:

mjd1988

Guru
Looks like there are a few ringers in C again tomorrow. An A+ rider signed up .... the guy who has been racing B and getting DQ'd the previous few weeks :wacko: Also strangely 2 C riders with 20 min power of 4.1 and 3.8 respectively - not dodgy looking at all :whistle:

Let's see who tries to latch on to their wheels for a free ride. Could be a risky move that might pay off, or backfire very badly.

Wow yeah I'm guessing that a+ ride may just have made a mistake, can't imagine what he has to gain? He is also probably too powerful for any of us to latch onto for long!

The guy with 3.8w/kg looks like he hasn't hit that in a while (still nearly b though)

It'll all be alright in the night, 4 of us signed up so far.

View: https://youtu.be/HzdIEZu0NCU

Interesting Gcn video on how effective drafting is on a climb. Definitely feels like it is very important on climbs in zwift.

Top Bottom