Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
So what's the plan for JB tomorrow? If we can gap the other real contenders before the climb, then we can isolate JB which opens up various possibilities.

One scenario, if JB and one of us are together after the climb with the other two a little ways behind, the rider with JB refuses to pull. JB's left with the choice of letting our rider rest while JB works, or JB can soft pedal and let our other riders catch up.

Alternately we let JB go on the climb (only if he's alone), then work together to reel him in over the back half of the course.

If we're in a group with just JB, then we gap him off the back over and over ;-) Essentially we let one rider get a big enough gap to break the draft and the other two soft pedal to get behind JB. Make JB work out of the draft to catch up, then as he gets back in the draft and lays off power, one of the two in his draft surge around and we repeat the process to soften him up (with the previous surging rider tucked into JB's draft to recover and a teammate also in JB's draft resting, ready to help or take their turn surging).

Of course if JB has teammates or other riders with him, then those ideas don't work nearly as well :-)
I think you're pretty much on the money there. Initial surge out the pen as usual should limit the leading pack to me, you, @Joffey, JB and at most one or two other riders.

The important thing then is to keep in contact with JB during the steepest part of the ascent - read @Whorty's excellent course preview above and as he correctly mentions, only that first part of the climb is anything to worry about. There's still then a chance to make up a small gap on the flatter parts of the climb before the banner. But then whoever does make it to the banner with JB, HAS to beat him at the line - if he gets the full 5 points on the KOM, then the rest of the race is pretty much moot.

If you're not in contact by the time we descend, then chances are you won't get back in contact before the desert sprint point (the only other Prime today) and once again, someone's got to stop JB taking max points here; ideally whoever took them on the first one. After that, he'll probably ease up and try to bring the group back together for the flat section for extra drafting - might be best to try the constantly rotating attacks strategy here.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Yes, same chap. Seems you scared him off and he's come to play with us lesser mortals :laugh:
Yes, I remember him @Norry1

He shredded our Cat B race but I managed to wheel suck him. He has been upgraded from B and now racing in C tonight.:rolleyes:

I think even wheelsucking him would take you over the C limit to be honest.

Joffey

Big Dosser
So what's the plan for JB tomorrow? If we can gap the other real contenders before the climb, then we can isolate JB which opens up various possibilities.

One scenario, if JB and one of us are together after the climb with the other two a little ways behind, the rider with JB refuses to pull. JB's left with the choice of letting our rider rest while JB works, or JB can soft pedal and let our other riders catch up.

Alternately we let JB go on the climb (only if he's alone), then work together to reel him in over the back half of the course.

If we're in a group with just JB, then we gap him off the back over and over ;-) Essentially we let one rider get a big enough gap to break the draft and the other two soft pedal to get behind JB. Make JB work out of the draft to catch up, then as he gets back in the draft and lays off power, one of the two in his draft surge around and we repeat the process to soften him up (with the previous surging rider tucked into JB's draft to recover and a teammate also in JB's draft resting, ready to help or take their turn surging).

Of course if JB has teammates or other riders with him, then those ideas don't work nearly as well :-)

What I've noticed about JB is his heart rate is alway very high and he said to me that he found the last flat one we did very hard. I wonder if we can just drop him on the flat by going flat out? We were just cruising in London, it was an easy pace, so if he struggled with that it might be time to make it VERY hard for him.

Maybe once the KOM is out of the way we just push on really hard. And then maybe we can take it in turns to launch attacks, we then sit back and he'll have to try and chase one of us down.

I was thinking if the pace was steady after the climb I might try and go solo over the last 6-8 miles :boxing::laugh:

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
Once over, it's a short fast drop (supertuck anyone!) back towards the seafront.
One thing to note - DON'T supertuck on the first part of the descent from the KOM. As you reach the first hairpin, probably only just after your speed gets high enough for the supertuck to take effect, there's a short bit (10 metres at most) where the gradient goes positive. This will break the tuck and your rider will just go back into the normal freewheel animation and you'll lose a whole bunch of ground to those in your group still pedalling - possibly even getting gapped by them. Wait until after the hairpin and then you're free to supertuck all the way back to the 360 bridge.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm holding off on jumping up to 4k or beyond until 8K 65" TVs become cheap.

Then I'll take our current 2K tv and use that for a super monitor, so I can see the names on the RHS through sweaty eyes.

God, I must be old, I remember all the talk of 1k resolution back in the 625 line days, The discussions in the TV technical mags about how to overcome stress increased line flyback pulse on the line o/p transformers. So much in semiconductor development has changed :ohmy:

Joffey

Big Dosser

I think this is the way to do it. Looking at Zwift Power there will be us 3 and JB in the lead group. As long as we can stay with him on the climb one of us should attack at the top for the KOM points and then keep riding whilst the other 2 recover.

Then for the rest of the race we try to have one rider attacking off the front at all times. If that rider gets reeled in then someone else attacks. If then with 2 miles to go we are all a group just recover and we'll all try and outspent him.

I think I'm just repeating what @JLaw said :laugh: but that's because it's the right way to go!

mjd1988

Guru
I think you're pretty much on the money there. Initial surge out the pen as usual should limit the leading pack to me, you, @Joffey, JB and at most one or two other riders.

The important thing then is to keep in contact with JB during the steepest part of the ascent - read @Whorty's excellent course preview above and as he correctly mentions, only that first part of the climb is anything to worry about. There's still then a chance to make up a small gap on the flatter parts of the climb before the banner. But then whoever does make it to the banner with JB, HAS to beat him at the line - if he gets the full 5 points on the KOM, then the rest of the race is pretty much moot.

If you're not in contact by the time we descend, then chances are you won't get back in contact before the desert sprint point (the only other Prime today) and once again, someone's got to stop JB taking max points here; ideally whoever took them on the first one. After that, he'll probably ease up and try to bring the group back together for the flat section for extra drafting - might be best to try the constantly rotating attacks strategy here.

I can't wait for the video of the d race. Really hope one of you guys can take the win, I think this is your chance and your plan sounds good!

Yes, I remember him @Norry1

He shredded our Cat B race but I managed to wheel suck him. He has been upgraded from B and now racing in C tonight.:rolleyes:

I think even wheelsucking him would take you over the C limit to be honest.

Yeah it would take you well over if we could live with him the whole race - now if two or more of us could latch onto him for 2-3 minutes then form a breakaway...I think we need to be open to that possibility. If Just goes and has one other person then he will be out of sight.

Mind you if he actually puts down his a plus power we can't live with that for even that long. In my last race I was putting out 0.7w/kg average less over the race compared to the guy I wheelsucked, and I was on the limit.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
One thing to note - DON'T supertuck on the first part of the descent from the KOM. As you reach the first hairpin, probably only just after your speed gets high enough for the supertuck to take effect, there's a short bit (10 metres at most) where the gradient goes positive. This will break the tuck and your rider will just go back into the normal freewheel animation and you'll lose a whole bunch of ground to those in your group still pedalling - possibly even getting gapped by them. Wait until after the hairpin and then you're free to supertuck all the way back to the 360 bridge.
Good call :okay:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Good luck tonight fellas 👍

if you do fall short it wont be through lack of preparation that’s for sure. I don’t think the Normandy invasion got this much planning! 😄

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Good luck tonight fellas 👍

if you do fall short it wont be through lack of preparation that’s for sure. I don’t think the Normandy invasion got this much planning! 😄
Half-way up the KoM, I may have to request a Dunkirk retreat :laugh:

I think part of the fun of these leagues is the planning and tactics. Rarely works out as planned, but trying to work out the different tactics is fun ^_^

Top Bottom