Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
Race report.

The race sort of went the way we predicted, only it was much more intense on the KOM than expected, possibly due to the presence of 5 or 6 sandbaggers, unfortunately that ruined the race a bit, I managed to hang on by the skin of my teeth. It quietened down for a little while but then attack after attack on the flat from multiple sandbaggers cut the field from 19 to maybe 10. Just took both sprints from under my nose, one I really shouldve taken but was watching his numbers rather than the road.

With primes second place. Delighted with numbers. Best ever 5 minute power and tbh I think I'd maybe have my best ever 20 mins power (4w/kg/336 watts for 5 minutes, not gonna trouble B group but for me a big milestone) if I hadn't supertucked after the Kom (just sprinted for a second in the flat but then back into tuck).

One thing I did note was that someone appeared to be doing the "sawtooth" thing. Possibly. Or at least what I think it is- his power kept going from 4.5w/kg then down to 0.7w/kg and then moving up the field. Be doesn't have Strava and I could be mistaken....does anyone have any idea how to actually investigate that (without looking slightly over obsessive).

Good race all. Team c were all up there until the sandbaggers ripped the field apart

Last edited:
Well done all, enjoyable in a funny sort of way. Far to hot in the garage and totally messed my start up but never mind🤬🤬🤬🤬

BurningLegs

Veteran
Thats why you’re B cat material :becool:
I will take that as “that’s how you got promoted to B” rather than “and that’s why you’re not in A” :laugh:

Hey @BurningLegs Good racing tonight. Nice to both be in the lead group until the end but I had little left for the sprint.
Likewise. Really enjoyed that tonight but would have preferred a longer race if I’m honest. At one point it was literally a gentle roll across the rolling countryside!

Today was the first time I’ve ever seen a solo winner. Great move to win it in the end, and a good call considering how slow we were all riding in that front group.

Shame that neither of us did particularly well in the final sprint. I messed up the timing and had an alright sprint but was doing it from literally the back of the group :laugh::rolleyes:

I finished 11th on Zwiftpower, and if I had known the finish better I reckon I could have got another few places. 2-8th all finished together and it’s a shame I didn’t finish in that group

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
To add to @mjd1988 's write up, yep, the sandbaggers blew the field apart tonight on the KoM. I was expecting to get over the top with the lead group but got caught in a few sticky drafts that lost me 3kph (twice!!!), and where normally I could push and get back on a wheel tonight that wasn't going to happen. Too many A's and B's pulling the lead group along.

Got over the top of KoM with one other rider in position 21st. We rolled down the descent and on to the flatlands and were still pushing quite well at that point. I could see the lead group about 1 minute ahead, but where me and the Dane I was with were pushing 3-3.2 w/kg, the lead group were clearly being pulled by much bigger numbers. Our race was over.

I msg'd him to say there was a chasing group only 20 odd seconds behind and it looked quite big, so suggested we hold our power and just wait to be caught. We were swept up just after the sprint banner, and it was nice to ride with Chris, Andy and Tim for quite a bit then. The Dane msg'd me then to say good call - he was thinking of pushing on but glad he hadn't :okay:

I think the group then pretty much stayed together until the climb out of Saddle Springs - I went to the front at that point to pull a bit and to ensure I didn't get caught in any more damn sticky drafts :sad: Not 100% sure, but I think Andy may have been dropped at that point.

I could still see Tim and Chris and we were now heading to the finish line. I msg'd Chris to say I was going to attack over the top of that final climb through the glass tunnel. Somehow though, I thought this was only about 1km to the finish, but it was actually closer to 1.5km :eek: Once I'd committed though I just had to keep on and hope my legs just had enough left in them to the finish. Not sure if I caught everyone out, or if there were tired legs, but only my danish mate who I'd ridden with earlier came with me. We shared the pulling until the last few metres where, on screen I crossed the line first .... but Zwift gave him the win :crazy: Oh well ... only one place and we did have a bit of a virtual high-5 to congratulate ourselves on our mini success :dance:

Thankfully, even though I didn't make the grade on the KoM, Larsen only beat me by 2 places so only gained 3 points on me. I beat Fegarli by a few places and I think gained about 6 points on him. Still everything to play for with positions 2 and 3 :hyper: Top place is secure now with Michael :notworthy::wahhey:

steverob

Guru
While I told JB I wouldn't pull with Joffey up the road and he gave up trying to put me out front, I was also watching you wondering if JB would make an unforced error and let you back into the race. You kept plugging along and looks like you took down JB :-)
As soon as we hit the desert flats, I should have eased up and let those two behind catch me sooner rather than dangling out in no-mans land like I did, because they were the ones who did 90% of the work of dragging me back to you and JB. Ironically I missed the actual catch, because I'd switched camera to see Joffey's finish! Obviously I saw in the board on the right of the screen that my time was now matching the rest of the group but I was pedalling blind and just having to keep a steady power and hope I stayed with the group long enough that I'd still be there when I brought the camera back to me.

I'm uploading video now, although most of it is pretty boring as once I get dropped, it's me cycling on my own for most of the rest of it. I did switch to Jeff's view for the KOM and Sprint finishes, and to Joffey for the finish line, so those bits are still worth watching. But mine, Jeff's and JB's final sprint is a REAL nailbiter - not going to spoil it!

Ketty

Über Member
To add to @mjd1988 's write up, yep, the sandbaggers blew the field apart tonight on the KoM. I was expecting to get over the top with the lead group but got caught in a few sticky drafts that lost me 3kph (twice!!!), and where normally I could push and get back on a wheel tonight that wasn't going to happen. Too many A's and B's pulling the lead group along.

Got over the top of KoM with one other rider in position 21st. We rolled down the descent and on to the flatlands and were still pushing quite well at that point. I could see the lead group about 1 minute ahead, but where me and the Dane I was with were pushing 3-3.2 w/kg, the lead group were clearly being pulled by much bigger numbers. Our race was over.

I msg'd him to say there was a chasing group only 20 odd seconds behind and it looked quite big, so suggested we hold our power and just wait to be caught. We were swept up just after the sprint banner, and it was nice to ride with Chris, Andy and Tim for quite a bit then. The Dane msg'd me then to say good call - he was thinking of pushing on but glad he hadn't :okay:

I think the group then pretty much stayed together until the climb out of Saddle Springs - I went to the front at that point to pull a bit and to ensure I didn't get caught in any more damn sticky drafts :sad: Not 100% sure, but I think Andy may have been dropped at that point.

I could still see Tim and Chris and we were now heading to the finish line. I msg'd Chris to say I was going to attack over the top of that final climb through the glass tunnel. Somehow though, I thought this was only about 1km to the finish, but it was actually closer to 1.5km :eek: Once I'd committed though I just had to keep on and hope my legs just had enough left in them to the finish. Not sure if I caught everyone out, or if there were tired legs, but only my danish mate who I'd ridden with earlier came with me. We shared the pulling until the last few metres where, on screen I crossed the line first .... but Zwift gave him the win :crazy: Oh well ... only one place and we did have a bit of a virtual high-5 to congratulate ourselves on our mini success :dance:

Thankfully, even though I didn't make the grade on the KoM, Larsen only beat me by 2 places so only gained 3 points on me. I beat Fegarli by a few places and I think gained about 6 points on him. Still everything to play for with positions 2 and 3 :hyper: Top place is secure now with Michael :notworthy::wahhey:
Great to ride with you @Whorty enjoyed that. Was very quick!!

Whorty

Just saw, across all cats, 20 riders have been DQ'd. Add to that the riders not registered on ZP and I bet there were more none-league riders tonight than those in the league. That's probably a first for one of these danish rides, where most riders are legit usually, and registered.

Last edited:

Whorty

Great to ride with you @Whorty enjoyed that. Was very quick!!
Was really pleased to see you with Chris and Andy in the group that caught me - you've improved so much in a relatively short period of time :okay: Cracking ride.

JLaw

Veteran
So D rolled out at a very pedestrian pace today, as a result we had relatively large front group and the hopes of isolating JB were put on ice. We made a decision fairly early to just sit in rather than try to break up the sizable group. Steve seemed to struggle a bit on the climb and Joffey seemed to hang out just a couple seconds behind for an awful long time. Steve and I were able to communicate via discord, but we didn't have Joffey today. The prime climb was a good setup for me as the banner is after the flatish section, so I can recover, a bit before the sprint, sprint then collapse for the downhill. JB didn't seem to challenge it as much as I expected him to.

Tucked myself in behind JB and was content to let Ant head up the road a bit. It seemed strategically better to slow down to pick up Joffey as I was struggling a bit and having a mate in the little group is motivating and the bigger the group the more I can surf the draft and rest. I wasn't aware there was another prime until Steve chimed in on discord. He gave me enough warning to mentally prepare for the pain. I actually almost caught Ant (closed ~12s of the gap). JB just didn't seem to have it today.

From that point onward I just stuck with JB and let Ant & Joffey slowly get up the road. I refused to pull and once they were about 90s up the road I apologized to JB and let him know why I wasn't pulling. JB conceded to Ant/Joffey at that point. But what he didn't know is Steve was latched onto a couple of riders that were pushing the pace behind us, so I continued to let JB pull and Steve's group continued to close the gap. I think they caught us 1-2 miles out from the finish which gave Steve a chance to take some points from JB ;-) I must have been annoying JB as he really layed off the power from time to time, presumably to put me on the front.

Anyway, with Steve back in the hunt we cruised the last couple miles. I started getting drop-outs, but none lasted terribly long. But the extra effort to ensure I didn't lose the group wasn't appreciated. I started my final sprint too early...

Given Steve has left the finish between JB, himself and myself as a cliffhanger, I won't give it away... You'll have to watch the video...

mjd1988

Guru
So D rolled out at a very pedestrian pace today, as a result we had relatively large front group and the hopes of isolating JB were put on ice. We made a decision fairly early to just sit in rather than try to break up the sizable group. Steve seemed to struggle a bit on the climb and Joffey seemed to hang out just a couple seconds behind for an awful long time. Steve and I were able to communicate via discord, but we didn't have Joffey today. The prime climb was a good setup for me as the banner is after the flatish section, so I can recover, a bit before the sprint, sprint then collapse for the downhill. JB didn't seem to challenge it as much as I expected him to.

Tucked myself in behind JB and was content to let Ant head up the road a bit. It seemed strategically better to slow down to pick up Joffey as I was struggling a bit and having a mate in the little group is motivating and the bigger the group the more I can surf the draft and rest. I wasn't aware there was another prime until Steve chimed in on discord. He gave me enough warning to mentally prepare for the pain. I actually almost caught Ant (closed ~12s of the gap). JB just didn't seem to have it today.

From that point onward I just stuck with JB and let Ant & Joffey slowly get up the road. I refused to pull and once they were about 90s up the road I apologized to JB and let him know why I wasn't pulling. JB conceded to Ant/Joffey at that point. But what he didn't know is Steve was latched onto a couple of riders that were pushing the pace behind us, so I continued to let JB pull and Steve's group continued to close the gap. I think they caught us 1-2 miles out from the finish which gave Steve a chance to take some points from JB ;-) I must have been annoying JB as he really layed off the power from time to time, presumably to put me on the front.

Anyway, with Steve back in the hunt we cruised the last couple miles. I started getting drop-outs, but none lasted terribly long. But the extra effort to ensure I didn't lose the group wasn't appreciated. I started my final sprint too early...

Given Steve has left the finish between JB, himself and myself as a cliffhanger, I won't give it away... You'll have to watch the video...

Has the video been posted yet?:popcorn:

mjd1988

Guru
Thanks Carl. Really enjoying it after @Joffey encourages me to by a TACX in March. Keep plugging away and see where we end up I suppose! Any word on our next league?

You and @BurningLegs in particular have come on leaps and bounds really quickly!

Another Monday series would suit me. I'd be interested in the @IrishAl one if it isn't too far on at this point but happy to go with the crowd.

P.s. does anyone know about the sawtooth ant+ cheat- has it been fixed or is it still an issue? And can you tell anyway other than the raw Strava data?

Whorty

You and @BurningLegs in particular have come on leaps and bounds really quickly!

Another Monday series would suit me. I'd be interested in the @IrishAl one if it isn't too far on at this point but happy to go with the crowd.

P.s. does anyone know about the sawtooth ant+ cheat- has it been fixed or is it still an issue? And can you tell anyway other than the raw Strava data?
I don't believe it's been fixed, but without seeing the Strava numbers you won't know if he'd doing it. He doesn't share his Strava, and like Petersen, doesn't accept friend requests, so that always makes me a little curious :whistle: I think Just is another B rider masquerading as a C. Same for the Spanish guy Ferera .... he likes to call others out, but he's easily a B rider too.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

Its still there, and should be reported to ZP. If you watch the W/kg ramp then drop repeatedly is a sign on a flat or sustained climb.

Rolling hills its more difficult to spot, due to the natural way cadence picks up on the small descents before climbs

Top Bottom