Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Can I throw a spanner into the works ... is it worth switching the ride tonight to the 18:10 3R Volcano lap race with volcano after party? This is only 40km rather than 68km of the 18:30 race (which will take me 2 hours so would finish until at least 8:30. Probably too late now to consider :blush:

Edit: we'd have to sign up to A cat to ensure no one gets DQ'd :okay:

Last edited:

Whorty

I was definitely efficient with my watts last night :laugh: Average 214 for the ride but my surges (15s, 30s, 1m) were all decent :okay:

1594720595462.png

Whorty

I was shocked !!! When I look at the pedigree of CC 's cat. B riders, I'm not sure if I'll survive... 😳
You're stronger than me so in theory you should be able hang on to a group in B - it really is a case of getting your body used to those surges and micro rests. Race more and practice sitting in the group and getting rests but not sticking your nose out front.

Whorty

Same for me, average low (lower than some C's) but new best 1 min and 5 mins power

I did completely run out of gas near the end as well. If Brendan hadn't Carried me over the line I might have been caught by group behind
I think in Zwift races being able to hit those big surge numbers is the key, rather than a consistent w/kg. Getting and staying in the draft is so important in the races. I keep working on this :okay:

We had a group chasing us last night so I messaged Tim that we need to keep them away. I think they were 4 or 5 strong but some big pulls from us both, and some real effort on the climbs, kept them away :wahhey:

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Can I throw a spanner into the works ... is it worth switching the ride tonight to the 18:10 3R Volcano lap race with volcano after party? This is only 40km rather than 68km of the 18:30 race (which will take me 2 hours so would finish until at least 8:30. Probably too late now to consider :blush:

Edit: we'd have to sign up to A cat to ensure no one gets DQ'd :okay:

The race we’ve entered is approximately 45km (B rather than A distance). It’s going to be a tester for sure. Like I said earlier I think the roll out start will keep the pack together a while so that in turn might improve everyone’s times? Dunno if those two things help make your choice for you. Hope so mate. I think honestly it’s a bit late to change races now I’m afraid. But we’ll definitely take it into consideration in the future.

<Tommy>

Just to clarify in my simple old head. We wait 5 mins from the official start and then roll out together for 1.6km then boom 💥

Alan is ride leader tonight. We wait 5 minutes from official start . But it won’t show on the race clock. So keep an eye out for Alan’s countdown warnings. Then we al roll out together. After 1 mile approximately alan will tell everyone the race is on, but the exact distance is down to Alan’s discretion. So no attack off the gun! we ramp up to race pace then race is on. Hope that makes sense...😄

Ketty

Über Member
I think in Zwift races being able to hit those big surge numbers is the key, rather than a consistent w/kg. Getting and staying in the draft is so important in the races. I keep working on this :okay:

We had a group chasing us last night so I messaged Tim that we need to keep them away. I think they were 4 or 5 strong but some big pulls from us both, and some real effort on the climbs, kept them away :wahhey:
That was the best bit. Last 6km we held off a chasing pack. Some real teamwork and power. I now need to focus on the sprints and KOM sections as even if you don’t want to go for them the bust can drop me. All learning!

mjd1988

Guru
Up the volcano climb twice. Yikes. My only hope is to stick to the fast folk at the start then have enough of a lead that when I get dropped the first time up I can still cling onto anyone behind. Then stick with them to the foot of the second one then ride home alone! If I get dropped before the first climb I'm probably going to bail as legs are already pretty tired

In fact looking at who has signed up there doesn't seem to be any c's or ds yet?

Whorty

The race we’ve entered is approximately 45km (B rather than A distance). It’s going to be a tester for sure. Like I said earlier I think the roll out start will keep the pack together a while so that in turn might improve everyone’s times? Dunno if those two things help make your choice for you. Hope so mate. I think honestly it’s a bit late to change races now I’m afraid. But we’ll definitely take it into consideration in the future.
Ah, ok, misread the distance on ZP. I'll see how wifey is later and if I have enough time to ride as I would like to join. :okay: I may just have to join but do a Bob..... (bail before the finish :laugh: )

Ketty

Über Member
I am unable to make tonight which is a shame but its the wife AND daughters birthday tomorrow (yes i know expensive) so i best prep etc. Will be back for the next one. Good luck to all those racing!!

<Tommy>

Up the volcano climb twice. Yikes. My only hope is to stick to the fast folk at the start then have enough of a lead that when I get dropped the first time up I can still cling onto anyone behind. Then stick with them to the foot of the second one then ride home alone! If I get dropped before the first climb I'm probably going to bail as legs are already pretty tired

In fact looking at who has signed up there doesn't seem to be any c's or ds yet?
Ah, ok, misread the distance on ZP. I'll see how wifey is later and if I have enough time to ride as I would like to join. :okay: I may just have to join but do a Bob..... (bail before the finish :laugh: )

It’s definitely a challenging course! On a positive note it could be worse.... we could be going up the volcano 3 times! 😄 (no lee, that wasn’t a suggestion for a future race...)

Seriously though variety is the spice of life as they say. In all honesty I’m not sure I would of suggested we choose this one if I’d of seen the distance. But longer races mean different tactics so it’ll be interesting. The climbs are balanced out to a degree by the flats so there’s a bit for everyone hopefully.

Joffey

Big Dosser

I've signed up and I 'should' be able to race but I imagine if I get dropped early I'll just abandon if I can't find a group to tag on to. I don't fancy a 20 mile solo ride round that course.

Top Bottom