Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
There's a fair bit of controversy on the Facebook group about this. Lots of people who had been racing as A's then mysterious dropped down to b and have been upgraded straight away the first race but can continue on. People will take advantage of anything!

For what it's worth I think it's a good rule for the most part as it encourages people to race honestly longterm- its natural enough in a race series that some people will improve. Hopefully someone roots out the people who are obviously gaming it (I saw one team took 1st 2nd and 3rd with 4w/kg each in one of the c races; clearly an agreed strategy)
whilst I can understand WTRLs stance that riders shouldnt be punished for getting an upgrade in season I do hope that they enforce categories at the end of one season into the next. That should get rid of the issue of these people who have been hiding in the category below their true ability Waiting for season 1. I liken it to football - a team gets relegated they usually have to sell their big star players to balance the payroll - so a team in the B division shouldn’t be able to have A riders. Anything else makes a mockery of it imho. Im sure most people will play fair but there will be the select few who thrive on winning races even against weaker opposition as we see from yesterday.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
whilst I can understand WTRLs stance that riders shouldnt be punished for getting an upgrade in season I do hope that they enforce categories at the end of one season into the next. That should get rid of the issue of these people who have been hiding in the category below their true ability Waiting for season 1. I liken it to football - a team gets relegated they usually have to sell their big star players to balance the payroll - so a team in the B division shouldn’t be able to have A riders. Anything else makes a mockery of it imho. Im sure most people will play fair but there will be the select few who thrive on winning races even against weaker opposition as we see from yesterday.

I know what you’re saying al. Maybe another option is just to let teams form from all of the categories combined.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Anyone fancy doing a recce of next weeks course?
Yeah I'd be up for that tonight Tommy - what sort of time?

For info if anyone's unfamiliar with the course, I did it in a TTT earlier this year. It's mostly flat so a good TTT course. There's just one small hill about halfway through and a few small rollers towards the end (which can actually hurt a bit at the end of a full gas TTT!). It's also considerably shorter than stage 1 you'll also be glad to hear!

My time in the TTT in my ZSUN team was 32:16 so this is our target to beat Team #23 :okay:

Norry1

Legendary Member

For info if anyone's unfamiliar with the course, I did it in a TTT earlier this year. It's mostly flat so a good TTT course. There's just one small hill about halfway through and a few small rollers towards the end (which can actually hurt a bit at the end of a full gas TTT!). It's also considerably shorter than stage 1 you'll also be glad to hear!

My time in the TTT in my ZSUN team was 32:16 so this is our target to beat Team #23 :okay:

I haven't done a WTRL TTT so it would be good to understand how it works and what the best tactics are:

bridgy

Legendary Member
I haven't done a WTRL TTT so it would be good to understand how it works and what the best tactics are:
Well firstly use a road bike not a TT bike because we all need to draft! (Actually don't think it will allow TT bikes anyway but wouldn't want to test it!)

Stay together as a group for as long as possible, taking turns pulling hard on the front. How you take turns can vary and I've been in a few different teams with different tactics for this. Some try and be very organised and number each rider 1-6 with designated rota for 30 second pulls. Others just ride as a blob with natural churning on the front. The really organised thing rarely works for very long to be honest so it usually ends up being a mix of the two.

Using Discord is really important - it can be helpful to tell people you are coming through to take a turn on the front because otherwise you often get two or more people trying to get to the front at the same time, and people are therefore wasting energy.

Time is taken from 4th person over the line, so while it's good to stay as a full group for as long as possible (more draft/speed), you can also let a couple of riders drop off the back towards the end if needed - sometimes if you know you can't go much longer it's worth saying, and doing one last suicidal hard turn on the front before dropping back.

If you do it right, it will be REALLY hard - I get some of my my highest w/kg figures from team TTTs ^_^

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

Tonights good for me paul. 6 or later? It’s be handy if I could be finished by around 7:30.

martin et all team #23. Maybe if you’re free but dont want to ride the course later, you could join discord and observe the ride just so we can talk some tactics as we roll?

edit: just thought that doesn’t have to be exclusive to team 23 of course. Everyone’s welcome to join us.

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Tonights good for me paul. 6 or later? It’s be handy if I could be finished by around 7:30.

martin et all team #23. Maybe if you’re free but dint want to rude the course later you could join discord and observe the ride just so we can talk some tactics as we roll?
6pm would be fine for me

Norry1

Legendary Member

martin et all team #23. Maybe if you’re free but dont want to ride the course later, you could join discord and observe the ride just so we can talk some tactics as we roll?

edit: just thought that doesn’t have to be exclusive to team 23 of course. Everyone’s welcome to join us.

I was having a day off but may be able to join. Any chance of doing it as a meetup - and with the rubber band on so we can ride at whatever pace we want?

bobinski

Legendary Member

Great time Paul-a good 2 minutes faster than my TTT time and that was at 264w average and average HR of 162. My team fell apart on the climb and almost again on the rollers. Then i struggled to stay with the rest of the team as one guy, now an A, dragged us to the finish. I remember being shattered because it was full on like an FTP test but for longer. So, shorter but possibly tougher :smile:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Great time Paul-a good 2 minutes faster than my TTT time and that was at 264w average and average HR of 162. My team fell apart on the climb and almost again on the rollers. Then i struggled to stay with the rest of the team as one guy, now an A, dragged us to the finish. I remember being shattered because it was full on like an FTP test but for longer. So, shorter but possibly tougher :smile:
Hmm, yeah you could be right about that Bob - 174bpm HR average and 185 max for me that day - ouch!

Top Bottom