Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Genesis were mind-blowingly good, even if the show did start more than an hour late (I think they had difficulty reanimating Phil's corpse from its cryogenic stasis :laugh:). Nic Collins was awesome on the drums! Phil's vocals were obviously going to be gruffer than 30-40 years ago, but that made his performances of Home By The Sea and Mama all the more menacing, and Fading Lights all the more poignant. A decent mix of 80s bangers and 70s prog-fiddle. Loved it.

Spent the weekend tidying my inlaws' house and eating chocolate biscuits. Somewhat trepidatious about standing on the scales or sitting on my Zwifting bike now...

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Lee and I did the Dragon ride Gran Fondo yesterday (separately, due to a communication mix up at the start :rolleyes:) so I thought I'd share a quick race report with you.

I've done the very similar Double Devil ride in the Brecon Beacons 3 times now, but I have to say I found this harder - don't know if you agree @berty bassett ? Two main things made it harder I think - the weather and the profile.

Weather-wise we had rain for quite a while about halfway into the ride, and it never really got that warm - there was thick fog on top of the mountains.

Profile was cruelly back-loaded with some of the hardest/longest climbs - Devil's Elbow was 85 miles in, followed by Rhigos (48 minutes of climbing including the pre-climb climb), and then Bwlch at 110 miles (35 minutes of climbing).

The first feed stop was 40 miles in and I intended getting some food in me here, but the queues were massive which was annoying. I had no choice but to queue for water but I decide to carry on without food and get some at the next stop instead. This nearly backfired because the next stop was 75 miles in and I only had a couple of gels to keep me going! I've never been happier to finally see the feed stop! Big queues again (even bigger when I left) but I had no choice and stuffed my face with everything I could grab:popcorn:

There were lots of groups on the road at the start which I kind of surfed through, but there was little drafting benefit because the road was never flat and the groups kept breaking up on the climbs and descents anyway. There were the usual nutters on the descents - I nearly got taken out several times and considering it wasn't closed roads some people were riding like complete lunatics - overtaking cars caught up with the cyclists on blind corners etc. On one long descent I was stuck behind a car, so I settled in at a close but safe distance behind it - by the end of the descent I had 4 riders who had squeezed past me at 35mph for literally no reason, one of which nearly went into the back of it when it eventually braked to turn right. I was glad when it thinned out a bit later on!

By the third and fourth feed stop things were much more civilised and there were no queues thankfully - I didn't really need to stop at these other than as an excuse to have a short break and stretch the legs!

So, job done - and if I was to do similar again I'd much prefer to do the Double Devil again (although I really don't want to do the Devil's staircase - I hate that one!) as it's a much smaller event and I prefer that, especially on open roads.

Well done Lee your ride was fantastic - you were 45 minutes quicker than me which is not at all surprising considering the amount of climbing involved, so had we ridden together I'd only have slowed you down!

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Really wanted to ride with you boss - wanted a captive audience for my ramblings( ask tommy ) and it was my fault entirely as I got there early after a horrible night sleeping in van and was getting cold standing too close to the start line so sort of let myself get ushered along
Much the same as you going round though I stopped and pigged out first station , second station skipped because of queues , had no choice but to stop third station as I had ran out of water before the second station , and then skipped the forth as I was very wet and getting cold and foolishly thought - nearly home , how hard can it be !
very very hard as it turned out - legs popped and just watch people sail pass while I was in survival mode
Some of the descenders must just have a death wish - I think I touched 35mph once in the wet and thought I am pushing my luck when a group just went pass like I was standing still , wet and windy so one gust would have seen me off - saw one poor soul had gone down the gully on side of road , he was ok but his bike was in at least 3 pieces
Like bridgy said , glad I’ve done it but given the choice DD wins hands down even if it is a lot of the same roads , more sort of communitive suffering spirit , this one was a bit too big
Though not as big as it should have been - I know of two who didn’t turn up 🙄

bridgy

Legendary Member
Really wanted to ride with you boss - wanted a captive audience for my ramblings( ask tommy ) and it was my fault entirely as I got there early after a horrible night sleeping in van and was getting cold standing too close to the start line so sort of let myself get ushered along
Much the same as you going round though I stopped and pigged out first station , second station skipped because of queues , had no choice but to stop third station as I had ran out of water before the second station , and then skipped the forth as I was very wet and getting cold and foolishly thought - nearly home , how hard can it be !
very very hard as it turned out - legs popped and just watch people sail pass while I was in survival mode
Some of the descenders must just have a death wish - I think I touched 35mph once in the wet and thought I am pushing my luck when a group just went pass like I was standing still , wet and windy so one gust would have seen me off - saw one poor soul had gone down the gully on side of road , he was ok but his bike was in at least 3 pieces
Like bridgy said , glad I’ve done it but given the choice DD wins hands down even if it is a lot of the same roads , more sort of communitive suffering spirit , this one was a bit too big
Though not as big as it should have been - I know of two who didn’t turn up 🙄
I reckon we might have made it to the first feed stop together, and then you'd have got bored of waiting for me on the climbs anyway ^_^

Del C

Veteran
I've done the Dragon Ride 3 times in the past. All at different distances. Shortest around 80 miles and longest at 132 miles.

I enjoyed all of them and thought they were well organised. Feed stops were always efficient and well stocked. It was one of my favourite sportive rides.

Sounds like things have changed a bit according to your reports. I think it has got bigger as I don't remember having to enter ballots to get a ride. I do think it has grown since my last visit.

Last time I rode it was probably around 5 years ago. I've thought about going back and there are guys from my road club who did it this year. Not sure I'd bother now?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I've done the Dragon Ride 3 times in the past. All at different distances. Shortest around 80 miles and longest at 132 miles.

I enjoyed all of them and thought they were well organised. Feed stops were always efficient and well stocked. It was one of my favourite sportive rides.

Sounds like things have changed a bit according to your reports. I think it has got bigger as I don't remember having to enter ballots to get a ride. I do think it has grown since my last visit.

Last time I rode it was probably around 5 years ago. I've thought about going back and there are guys from my road club who did it this year. Not sure I'd bother now?
Don’t let me put you off ! Hope it doesn’t come across as I didn’t like it cos I did , maybe it was because I was cold wet and alone while it always shines on dd 😁

bridgy

Legendary Member

Organisation-wise my only real criticism would be the first two feed stops being woefully under-manned leading to huge queues for food, water and toilets. I'm not sure how you avoid this really with an event of that size though unless you have really huge feed stations? If I was to do it again I think I'd aim to take enough food/drink of my own to get me to the third feed station. But then it's not a cheap event to enter so if you end up aiming to be pretty much self sufficient anyway I guess you start to question why you pay so much to ride those roads rather than just organise something yourself with friends. Especially as the roads aren't closed to traffic or anything like the Tour of Cambridgeshire.

It was very well organised in terms of signage and marshalling etc. But I don't think I'd do it again- certainly not ahead of a proper closed road event or a smaller/cheaper event like the Double Devil.

OR some more CC Splitters organised rides like the recent Cheddar one which I really enjoyed and was great value for money :okay:

Joffey

Big Dosser
We all ready for ZRL tonight then??

How's the B teams getting on? Have you got 2 teams? What time are your races off? did you change your names?

Think we have 5 riders in CCC tonight and are all looking forward to it. Personally I am pretty unfit but these two first races are a great opportunity to get some of that back. And if we are a bit slower we might get a favourable league!!

My weight is a stone up from last ZRL and FTP down so I'm using the next 8 weeks as a training block to get my diet back in check, booze consumption down and w/kg back up. Hopefully I can then hit winter fit and in turn hit spring 2022 fitter than I have ever been.

Anyway, good luck everyone if you are racing - don't forget to post on here how you get on. God speed :okay:

bridgy

Legendary Member
It certainly does, although it's glorious sunshine here this morning!

Happy to arrange rides / accommodation etc if it happens. My mate has a couple of air BnBs that we could use.
Well I'd be up for a Yorkshire cycling weekend next year - if things develop, we should probably move this discussion to the meetups thread. Just for info the Tour of Cambridgeshire is 5th June just for reference - I'm planning to do that and a few others are as well I think

Top Bottom