Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Watching it now. Good to see more attacks, is there a consensus that the new pack dynamics are better for that? In the last race I did all cats started together and 5 a's got away from a larger group of as and bs which I haven't seen very often (then a zwiftpower C bridged and went past everyone)

nah big bunch sprint
Us C's, we're a hardy bunch :laugh:

You just wait until we become B's ... we'll be unstoppable :biggrin:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Do you plan to post photos of them on scales?!

Amazing how light some components can be, but you need deep pockets!

:reading:

Deep pockets and a very supportive partner for what it’s worth!
Me and the girlfriend have separate houses and budgets ^_^

Anyone signed up for the DBR on Monday? I'm just going to do it.

EDIT - I thought it was flat... there is 1,694ft elevation! :eek:

I've just signed up too. Hopefully will make it :okay:
Signed up back on Thursday. Very interesting course, an hour-long interval workout.

What you lot doing this cold Sunday, now the storm has blown over?
The trainer I ordered for my lad finally arrived so we'll have a little father and son Zwift ride :becool:

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
What you lot doing this cold Sunday, now the storm has blown over?
Went out on the bike anyway, though did wait until noon in the vain hope that the temps would rise above freezing - they did marginally, though with wind chill it still felt like minus 4! Saw a lot of ice on the road but thankfully it was all in the gutters apart from one short section I obviously took a lot of care on. Bloody cold but worth it for getting out and getting some exercise.

And then when I got home I slipped on something on the stairs and went crashing down into the wall at the bottom. It’s never the supposedly dangerous things that are the ones to get you in the end!

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Random question. 20 minute power on ZP. Is that something calculated over a period of time, over your last X amount of races or something else? Mine seems higher than I’d expect it to be at the moment so I’m wondering if it’s flattering me. I think I manually put a my FTP onto zp (?). It was a while ago. That flatters me too at the moment, so I’m wondering if they’re connected somehow.

Whorty

Random question. 20 minute power on ZP. Is that something calculated over a period of time, over your last X amount of races or something else? Mine seems higher than I’d expect it to be at the moment so I’m wondering if it’s flattering me. I think I manually put a my FTP onto zp (?). It was a while ago. That flatters me too so I’m wondering if they’re connected somehow.
No. not connected. The 20 minute power that is used for your category is something you have achieved within the last 90 days on a race (or organised ride). It's not the first 20 minutes ... its's the best 20 minutes of any of those races

<Tommy>

No. not connected. The 20 minute power that is used for your category is something you have achieved within the last 90 days on a race (or organised ride). It's not the first 20 minutes ... its's the best 20 minutes of any of those races

Ah cheers that makes sense 👍. It’s the first time I’ve actually looked at that properly to be honest… I think I might need to work on my 15 second power…

Whorty

Ah cheers that makes sense 👍. It’s the first time I’ve actually looked at that properly to be honest… I think I might need to work on my 15 second power…
I'm the opposite .... my 15 sec, 1 minute and 5 minutes are quite good (relatively for me) but my 20 minutes is pretty poor. Seems I'm quite good at recovery too. So I can work really hard that first few minutes to get into the lead group, and then hang on to wheels. I can punch up the little hills too, and then recover ... but any long drags and I drop like a brick.

I need to start working on my 20 minute power :okay:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Random question. 20 minute power on ZP. Is that something calculated over a period of time, over your last X amount of races or something else?
The 'Minimum Category' value, like Carl says, is calculated as an average of 95% of your 3 best 20-minute results over the last 90 days.

The 'FTP' itself: Not sure, actually. Tried to crack the algorithm but nothing seems to fit. In my case, the 20-minute power in those three races was 197, 204 & 208, giving an average of 203 (100%) or 193 (95%), but the displayed 'FTP' is 198 - smack down the middle of the two.

I think I might need to work on my 15 second power…
It might be that it's just a smaller sample. For example, I only did 3 races so far but none of them required a sprint finish - on all occasions I was in no man's land. As a result my 15s effort is the best 15s I just did in one of those races without an intentional sprint. You might have done, say, 200 races, all of them over 20 minutes but only half had a 15s sprint, making the sample size half as big and less accurate.

Last edited:

<Tommy>

The 'Minimum Category' value, like Carl says, is calculated as an average of 95% of your 3 best 20-minute results over the last 90 days.

The 'FTP' itself: Not sure, actually. Tried to crack the algorithm but nothing seems to fit. In my case, the 20-minute power in those three races was 197, 204 & 208, giving an average of 203 (100%) or 193 (95%), but the displayed 'FTP' is 198 - smack down the middle of the two.

It might be that it's just a smaller sample. For example, I only did 3 races so far but none of them required a sprint finish - on all occasions I was in no man's land. As a result my 15s effort is the best 15s I just did in one of those races without an intentional sprint. You might have done, say, 200 races, all of them over 20 minutes but only half had a 15s sprint, making the sample size half as big and less accurate.

Thanks for your input Peter. I was actually referring to something different. Carl said above that 15s, 5 & 20 minute power is your single best effort over the last 90 days, not an average and that’s what I was unsure of. You are correct though in that your minimum category is decided by 95% of your best 3 efforts.

I believe you can manually input your own FTP hence why it doesn’t add up for you. I think I manually put mine in anyway.

For what it’s worth I don’t really think these stats tell the story because they can be quite easily skewed depending on the type of races you choose to go into or how you approach races. But they’re not a bad marker either. I’m my case Ive never really worked on my sprint (I clearly should!), and that stat kind of bares that out.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I know it messes with our own races but;

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
For what it’s worth I don’t really think these stats tell the story because they can be quite easily skewed depending on the type of races you choose to go into or how you approach races. But they’re not a bad marker either. I’m my case Ive never really worked on my sprint (I clearly should!), and that stat kind of bares that out.
It's also worth bearing in mind that all rides and completed races are included in the 'rider phenotype' graphics. Whenever I'm racing, I'll barely manage 600-700W in the sprint finish, but I can easily peak at 1100W and managed my 15s average of 950W when 'rested' - it was recorded in a 'race' event, but I wasn't riding it competitively, just to bump up my stats! My all-time best minute was in this event, which I'd sacked off as a TT because I was well down on target after 10 minutes...

Top Bottom