Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
On another topic - need help/advice again as I'm not sure how this works:

I'm looking to finally get a decent frame for flat/rolling courses as I'm still riding the Zwift Aero. Was planning to somehow grind my way to level 20 (I'm currently 18) and do a lot of pace partner riding to get enough drops for the Trek Madone (I currently have just over 400k and would need almost 900k).

BUT. I've just noticed this event:
Which unlocks the Pinarello Dogma F. Based on this article from Zwift Insider it matches the Trek.

Question: I've never took part in an event that unlocked a frame. Do you just get it for free and can ride right away or do you just unlock it for purchase but you still need to reach the required level and have the drops (in this case lvl 32 and over a million)?

bridgy

Legendary Member
On another topic - need help/advice again as I'm not sure how this works:

I'm looking to finally get a decent frame for flat/rolling courses as I'm still riding the Zwift Aero. Was planning to somehow grind my way to level 20 (I'm currently 18) and do a lot of pace partner riding to get enough drops for the Trek Madone (I currently have just over 400k and would need almost 900k).

BUT. I've just noticed this event:
View attachment 628387
Which unlocks the Pinarello Dogma F. Based on this article from Zwift Insider it matches the Trek.

Question: I've never took part in an event that unlocked a frame. Do you just get it for free and can ride right away or do you just unlock it for purchase but you still need to reach the required level and have the drops (in this case lvl 32 and over a million)?
I don't think that event actually unlocks the Pinarello for you. It just makes it the default bike everyone rides (irrespective of level) during the event itself

Joffey

Big Dosser
I don't think that event actually unlocks the Pinarello for you. It just makes it the default bike everyone rides (irrespective of level) during the event itself

This is right. You only get the frame for the event.

Just get the best frame your level allows and worry about upgrading later. Drops points will come soon enough. You will want to get some decent wheels too for flat courses. The Aero Enves for climbing are pretty cheap.

Make sure you are doing the Tron challenge too!

In my humble opinion the frame choices etc don't make much difference when you have got a half decent one.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Awww, man... 😢 Thanks for correcting me. Huge shame, that - my dream bike irl.

This is right. You only get the frame for the event.

Just get the best frame your level allows and worry about upgrading later. Drops points will come soon enough. You will want to get some decent wheels too for flat courses. The Aero Enves for climbing are pretty cheap.

Make sure you are doing the Tron challenge too!

In my humble opinion the frame choices etc don't make much difference when you have got a half decent one.
Always got the best wheels as they make a bigger difference than the frames. I have the Zipp 808s which are the fastest option until lvl 31 so that's covered :okay: On the frames: I was initially going to get the Focus Izalco that unlocked at lvl 8 for 426k - I can afford that now but there's the Canyon Aeroad that unlocked at lvl 10 for 568k and it's quicker still, as well as the aforementioned Trek Madone that will unlock at lvl 20 for 888k...

I think I'm going to try and get to 20 asap and see where I am with drops then. If I'm not too long off the 888k I might do some more pace partnering to get the Trek, if I'm way off I'll just get the Canyon...

Peter my advice is go for the tron. Keep going up the alp. Once, twice a week. You get stronger and you end up with a bike comparable to the best on the game. It’s a bit of a no brainer really.
On it, Tommy. 25% there.

You do also get a drops bonus for riding up hills, is there a formula for that? I've noticed that the D pace partner gives around 21k drops for a full 40min rotation and the C pace partner around 26k for the same time - subject to differences based on the number of ride-ons you get. What would be a drops haul for going up the Alpe in 80 minutes? Any ideas?

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
This. Apart from the Zwift Carbon, which is rubbish, all of the other bikes are much of a muchness. Get the Canyon Aeroad 2021 and DT Swiss wheels and you'll be well set until you've earnt the Tron.

Just occasionally there's an event that permanently unlocks a bike; the Olympic Virtual Series last summer unlocked the Bridgestone RS9 which is one of the best bikes in the game for climbing. I would use it on the Alpe or on Ventoux, but any up-and-down hilly course is probably still better on the Tron.

bridgy

Legendary Member
You do also get a drops bonus for riding up hills, is there a formula for that? I've noticed that the D pace partner gives around 21k drops for a full 40min rotation and the C pace partner around 26k for the same time - subject to differences based on the number of ride-ons you get. What would be a drops haul for going up the Alpe in 80 minutes? Any ideas?
that's one for Eric Schlange to answer https://zwiftinsider.com/how-drops-work/

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I use the Specialized frame, solid rear disc, 80mm front wheel for all events except TT.

I ditched the Tron bike, I wanted to be able see when I was in the draft

Top Bottom