Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Presumably a Wattbike service engineer who’s doing it? What do they charge for that, and is it free under warranty?

This seems like a big advantage of a Wattbike over Wahoo or Tacx/Garmin who I don’t think do local servicing??

Yes, should be a wattbike engineer - having them in the UK was the decision for me to get the wattbike rather than the NEO bike (I'd replaced my NEO trainer but only because Halfords agreed to it, Tacx themselves wanted nothing to do with it and aid there was nothing wrong with the trainer - lost my custom for good).

A standard service is £200, including all parts. I'm hoping the issue is just a stretched chain and/or something that falls under the standard service ... keeping fingers crossed as anything over 400 watts and it slips.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Presumably a Wattbike service engineer who’s doing it? What do they charge for that, and is it free under warranty?

This seems like a big advantage of a Wattbike over Wahoo or Tacx/Garmin who I don’t think do local servicing??
It's £200, as @Whorty says. That's for someone to come to your house, disassemble the bike, do a full checkup and at the very minimum replace the chain and set the tensioner + recalibrate and reassemble.

All you need to do is ensure that the bike is accessible from all directions and be home :okay:

alex_cycles

Veteran
It's £200, as @Whorty says. That's for someone to come to your house, disassemble the bike, do a full checkup and at the very minimum replace the chain and set the tensioner + recalibrate and reassemble.

All you need to do is ensure that the bike is accessible from all directions and be home :okay:

And watch carefully so you can see the ‘calibration’ process 😉😂

steverob

Guru
That seems really strange to me, cause the Pace Partners (oops sorry, RoboPacers I should say!) are in the "live" worlds - e.g. they're with the same people who are doing free rides, not locked off in separate instances like you'd be when doing an event. So therefore you've got some people using PD4 and others not, all on the same course.

So what happens when you drop off the back of the bunch - how far back to you need to go before you officially become a free rider and do you lose PD4 at that point? What if you don't choose a Pace Partner at the menu screen and instead free ride, but happen to be caught by a PP group by chance and then decide to ride with them (as I have done on numerous occasions) - do you keep the old drafting method, or are you automatically switched to PD4?

alex_cycles

Veteran
That seems really strange to me, cause the Pace Partners (oops sorry, RoboPacers I should say!) are in the "live" worlds - e.g. they're with the same people who are doing free rides, not locked off in separate instances like you'd be when doing an event. So therefore you've got some people using PD4 and others not, all on the same course.

So what happens when you drop off the back of the bunch - how far back to you need to go before you officially become a free rider and do you lose PD4 at that point? What if you don't choose a Pace Partner at the menu screen and instead free ride, but happen to be caught by a PP group by chance and then decide to ride with them (as I have done on numerous occasions) - do you keep the old drafting method, or are you automatically switched to PD4?

I don't know. It's vaguely written in the forum. I have asked explicitly but not had an answer yet. But if you're not actually in a pack, pack dynamics don't apply do they?

see comments from Zwift staff here https://forums.zwift.com/t/pack-dynamics-4-phase-3-january-2023/600725/439

I’ve been watching Coco this morning and haven’t seen anything negative (or positive). We turned PD4 on for Makuri late yesterday afternoon.

I believe we had initially intended on turning it on without an annoucement to try and see if anyone had a poor experience without knowing that changes had been made, but believe there will be an update from Flint (presumably today).

Reading further, Dave the tech guy says it's switched on "globally" for Makuri. So there's our answer

Last edited:

Whorty

And watch carefully so you can see the ‘calibration’ process 😉😂

By all accounts, the Wattbike's never need a calibration once left the factory as they are 'factory calibrated' ... so will be interesting to see what he/she does if they have to change any components. The slipping may not be a chain issue, could be something to do with the magnetic resistance ... need it sorted as can't go above 400 watts without the slippage :cursing:

alex_cycles

Veteran
By all accounts, the Wattbike's never need a calibration once left the factory as they are 'factory calibrated' ... so will be interesting to see what he/she does if they have to change any components. The slipping may not be a chain issue, could be something to do with the magnetic resistance ... need it sorted as can't go above 400 watts without the slippage :cursing:

You won't be able to see how to tweak it then :laugh:

steverob

Guru
I have been feeling unwell all day, so I don't think I'll be doing the TT tonight after all. Yes, I could re-schedule it for the weekend (I have that power after all) but it is probably not worth it - unless I get under 22:14 I'm not going to move up a place and no-one beneath me can overtake me either (unless someone set a ridiculously bad time to skew the +5% result). Also if they did, I could cheat and post my 24:59 time from my test run anyway as that was at least done under the same rules :smile:

So based on that, I'm going to post the final table now, so everyone can see the results:
1680194212486.png

Thank you to everyone who took part. There were some fantastic little battles along the way and it was rather fun all said and done. Congrats to @Legs as overall winner, but also to @Peter Salt and @mjd1988 for at least stopping it from being a clean sweep of stages!

Whorty

I have been feeling unwell all day, so I don't think I'll be doing the TT tonight after all. Yes, I could re-schedule it for the weekend (I have that power after all) but it is probably not worth it - unless I get under 22:14 I'm not going to move up a place and no-one beneath me can overtake me either (unless someone set a ridiculously bad time to skew the +5% result). Also if they did, I could cheat and post my 24:59 time from my test run anyway as that was at least done under the same rules :smile:

So based on that, I'm going to post the final table now, so everyone can see the results:
View attachment 683654
Thank you to everyone who took part. There were some fantastic little battles along the way and it was rather fun all said and done. Congrats to @Legs as overall winner, but also to @Peter Salt and @mjd1988 for at least stopping it from being a clean sweep of stages!

Thanks @steverob .... some fun races, very enjoyable.

Top Bottom