Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Was hoping for a long steady ride with ZHR Audax 60 miler. No way was it audax pace, threshold all the way:heat:. I abandoned at 50mins. I wish they would describe the event better.:cursing: I dont mind flat out if I know that is what I'm signing upto.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
To be honest I've always been heavy - when I was 15 I raced cross country, played Rugby for 3 teams and sprinted for my county and I was technically obese despite there not being an ounce of fat on me :laugh: These days I am carrying some weight around my middle that I could shift, but I think a realistic target would be 95kg which is still only 2.5W/kg. I'm not built like the pro's thats for sure :laugh: I think any real gains are going to have to come from playing on my strengths, which in this case is strength :laugh:

You are like me in build, 90+kg. The events which will suit you, and me are flat out short flat events where power is key. Hills and longer events, will always be a bit of a battle to stay with the lighter riders.

bobinski

Legendary Member
You are like me in build, 90+kg. The events which will suit you, and me are flat out short flat events where power is key. Hills and longer events, will always be a bit of a battle to stay with the lighter riders.

Hills? Those little lumps in Zwift? You big boys and your big watts should be fine up to about 4-5% . After that sure you are gonna struggle a bit more with every % increase. But there’s not a lot of that :tongue:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I've never really considered racing on Zwift as I've always assumed I'll end up miles behind everyone. Is that genuinely not the case then?

If you've never raced on Zwift, it will be a bit of a shock to you. The starts are very fast and the pace will have you near maximum HR most of the time . You'll think you will never get the hang of it, but you and body adjust to these VO2 max efforts. To some riders, they actually like the pain of racing. :biggrin:

JuhaL

Guru
Some riders are probably put lot of effort in jump start. I guess nature of races in Zwift wouldn’t be much different if jump start isn’t allowed like in Bkool where you need to stop pedaling before you can start.

Del C

Veteran
Managed to get another snotty cold the last few days but going to ride again this afternoon.

I've noticed that @bert1971 has joined the PACK sub2W/kg social ride up the Alpe d'Zwift at 16.30. Hoping to grab a recovery ride tow!!

Del C

Veteran
I've never really considered racing on Zwift as I've always assumed I'll end up miles behind everyone. Is that genuinely not the case then?
I'd give it a go and see what you think.

2 things will help you out. Firstly, as @CXRAndy says go for a flat race that suits your weight and power. Secondly, enter in D category so that you'e riding in the easiest category. Of course, 'easiest' is relative. You'll still have to start like a bat out of hell, but as others have said that does settle down after the opening few minutes.

I've never really raced, other than a few time trials, and I have ridden a number of sportives. I never really wanted to as I did all my competitive sport when I was younger, and I didn't start cycling to race. But the racing on Zwift is enjoyable. I'm never going to get to A cat, but it helps to push me to ride as hard as I can and to improve, and if you've started doing a workout plan then that just seems a natural progression to me.

And if racing is still a bit daunting, try one of the group social rides first. Some people fly off the front on those, but mainly people ride together and that helps push you as well, without the fear that everyone is going to drop you.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Was hoping for a long steady ride with ZHR Audax 60 miler. No way was it audax pace, threshold all the way:heat:. I abandoned at 50mins. I wish they would describe the event better.:cursing: I dont mind flat out if I know that is what I'm signing upto.
You have every sympathy from me, My first ever ride in Zwift was the ZHR Audax, how they think 3+W/Kg for 100Km is audax pace I have no idea. In the end I bailed from the group, and concentrated on holding a steady output, sometimes getting a tow, sometimes pulling others ... Just like you would on an Audax. That last lap (4 of 4) of the London Circuit, had me blow up on Green hill, and roll into the finish! :rofl:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Managed to get another snotty cold the last few days but going to ride again this afternoon.

I've noticed that @bert1971 has joined the PACK sub2W/kg social ride up the Alpe d'Zwift at 16.30. Hoping to grab a recovery ride tow!!
I'm on a sub 2 at 5 o'clock today. doing a 90 mins training session first, so I'll be doing my best to stay in draft and hang on at 2 w/kg!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Give it a go and see how you like it. Stick to flat races, and initially maybe a shorter race. From the off blast out the blocks then try to hang on to the draft of a group. Settle into a group and sit tight. It will be a shock to your system at first, but races are a great way to get fitter faster. I always used to come last in races, but this just meant I just needed to start working harder to get better :smile: If nothing else, you'll get a great workout :okay:

I have a couple of questions for those who are doing the "build me up". I missed a session and now it says unavailable. Do they have make up days? Also the one leg drill was awful. Is there another drill to improve the clunking?

Top Bottom