Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuhaL

Guru
I was spurred on by having Micheal, and then @Monte breathing down my neck :laugh: There were times towards the end when I could easily have let that group go and just roll the last 5km, but I kept digging in and trying to draft as much as I could. I lost the wheel a few times, well the guy I was following lost the last wheel and I had to work hard to get back on. Then the final little climb through the piccadilly tunnel I had to really attack to get a head start along piccadilly itself else I would definitely have been dropped.

Feeling very tired now xx(

Just saw Paul and Lee's times :notworthy::notworthy:
Carl, next stage is not bed of roses so we all need spur and especially good rest before that. Need to think what kind of ride is best tomorrow. It's Innsbruck day tomorrow.

mjd1988

Guru
I thought you'd hang on to the group me and Monte were in but when I drifted back through the group I realised you wasn't there anymore. Not sure when you dropped, but saying that, you was only a minute or so behind so still a crackin ride. Our group was moving pretty quick at times, and quite a few guys willing to work, so I was lucky to get pulled along :sweat:

Yeah I had quite a sudden downturn in energy in the middle of the ride after the 5% section of the lap, nearly stopped dead but then managed to hang onto a decent sized chasing pack and gradually felt a better as it went on and was glad I persevered by the end. Stage 2 is definitely going to be a zone 2 pootle though for me I think, no sprinting to the front!

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just discovered a neat trick the kickr core can do, vertical bicycle storage :laugh:

20181213_212800.jpg

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Today i learn bit more about racing in virtually, i mean not racing of course, what am i talkin about ^_^. Reacting group speed where you are, you need to be focus and keep on your toes to react speed change fast enough.

using a higher cadence help with this, cadence is easier to pickup at higher rpm

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
using a higher cadence help with this, cadence is easier to pickup at higher rpm
Knowing the courses on zwift helps too, and anticipating where others will push on or drop watts. This helps ensure you don't get dropped or, just as bad, end up out in front with your nose in the wind!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Knowing the courses on zwift helps too, and anticipating where others will push on or drop watts. This helps ensure you don't get dropped or, just as bad, end up out in front with your nose in the wind!

True, always worth pootling around each course on non race days. Saying that, I tend not to notice the length of hills in potter mode. Its only when going flat out and the last 50 yards from the crest, you begin to notice.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I am a bit ashamed to say I have, while lying around protecting my poor knee, watched a few live races. It’s rare not to see an attack on an incline. Watts tend to go up as some riders anticipate the rise and then the best increase watts as they go up taking power and speed over the crest. More often than not the front riders doing this will then get even further away on a descent as they draft together. We don’t see it when racing ourselves but the front group are sometimes messaging each other too offering encouragement. I suppose many of them will have raced together before. They know their/each other’s strengths and weaknesses and what to do to get away and stay away.
And some teams, even when riding as individuals, will also be on dischord making communication even easier.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I am a bit ashamed to say I have, while lying around protecting my poor knee, watched a few live races. It’s rare not to see an attack on an incline. Watts tend to go up as some riders anticipate the rise and then the best increase watts as they go up taking power and speed over the crest. More often than not the front riders doing this will then get even further away on a descent as they draft together. We don’t see it when racing ourselves but the front group are sometimes messaging each other too offering encouragement. I suppose many of them will have raced together before. They know their/each other’s strengths and weaknesses and what to do to get away and stay away.
And some teams, even when riding as individuals, will also be on dischord making communication even easier.

It just shows they're on another level even within the A cats. I can hardly touch the keyboard for a needed power up when racing, im that close to the limit . It would be lovely to have 10bpm capacity ontop of race pace for surges or sprints.:sad:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I wish jersey manufacturers would get together and decide what size is actually a small ! Just received a top from fleabay new with tags size small £1 bargain - until I saw it
Thought to myself , this is gonna be interesting as looked at the top that even Barbie would have advised ken to go next size up . As I put it on I could feel the blood leaving my arms but was still thinking I could get away with it being a race fit I zipped it up and my ears popped under the pressure but still was optimistic and went for a second opinion - number 1 son started laughing and said how the hell did you get in that !
I had to get him to help get it off @Breedon - do you want a new top for your new slimline look

bridgy

Legendary Member
Yeah, Zwift racing is all about a series of sprints. A sprint at the start to get into a group as close to the front as possible, followed by a series of sprints to stay with your group whenever there's a surge in the pace, followed by a sprint finish.

If you can nail all of these, you'll get the best possible result - the problem is during the race when you're already at, or close to your limit when one of those sprints is required!

Top Bottom