Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Did a ride outside today and squeezed in a few sprints. Maxed at 973 watt 1sec, 954 watt 10 sec, about 200 watt more than I can achieve on the bkool Pro in Zwift.

Lars if most of your training will be indoors then you are almost certainly someone who would benefit from a direct drive trainer. But if most will be outside on those lovely roads and cycle tracks you described then save your money. I will keep an eye on the 4iiiposts on FB and see if it’s a pm or bkool issue. Those other bkool stalwarts May be able to help with tyre choice or pressure.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Bit of a random observation, but I've been thinking about the Hare and Hounds format and I reckon it gives (me at least) a really good workout. Reason being that it starts fast but not mad, and then settles at a fairly hard pace for 35-40 minutes - and then when the B group catch up, it forces 10-15 minutes of threshold or above followed by a sprint finish. This is harder than many normal races where you stick in a group you can handle and then circulate near threshold for an hour.
This is interesting, as after I finished the race last night I thought the exact opposite! For me, it's easier to stay with the big group in the H&H as I haven't burnt my matches in the first 2 or 3 minutes like I would in a race.

In the race yesterday that first blast took so much out of me that I was on my @rse for the rest of the race. Then as there were attacks in the race, having to keep upping the power was gradually depleting what I had left. In the H&H though there were pretty much no attacks until the B's caught us so it was more of a cruise (albeit at high power!).

What is interesting though, even though I averaged more watts yesterday in the race, my 2 lap time was faster during the H&H at lower watts.

What I need to is train more for those big bursts, whereas today I'm better suited to TT/tempo style riding.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I know it is a different course, but is anyone doing the Hare and Hounds tomorrow evening now?
Most likely not as I tend to ride during the afternoon on Sundays, but if enough CCers decide to do it then I could be convinced otherwise :okay:

Norry1

Legendary Member
This is interesting, as after I finished the race last night I thought the exact opposite! For me, it's easier to stay with the big group in the H&H as I haven't burnt my matches in the first 2 or 3 minutes like I would in a race.

In the race yesterday that first blast took so much out of me that I was on my @rse for the rest of the race. Then as there were attacks in the race, having to keep upping the power was gradually depleting what I had left. In the H&H though there were pretty much no attacks until the B's caught us so it was more of a cruise (albeit at high power!).

What is interesting though, even though I averaged more watts yesterday in the race, my 2 lap time was faster during the H&H at lower watts.

What I need to is train more for those big bursts, whereas today I'm better suited to TT/tempo style riding.

Yep I take your point, but it is that really hard block when caught by the Bs that I think is giving the elevated training effect.

LBHIFI

Veteran
Lars if most of your training will be indoors then you are almost certainly someone who would benefit from a direct drive trainer. But if most will be outside on those lovely roads and cycle tracks you described then save your money. I will keep an eye on the 4iiiposts on FB and see if it’s a pm or bkool issue. Those other bkool stalwarts May be able to help with tyre choice or pressure.
I don't think it has anything to do with the powermeter. It just reports back the power applied.
It has to be either tire slipping or the turbo not willing/able to apply the resistance needed.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I don't think it has anything to do with the powermeter. It just reports back the power applied.
It has to be either tire slipping or the turbo not willing/able to apply the resistance needed.

Probably a combination of both Lars. I think Lee has said the best comment. Maybe Think about selling all the turbo’s you have if they still hold a value. And buy a direct drive turbo. I think if you buy one now you can expect it to be ‘future proof’ for a long time to come.

LBHIFI

Veteran
Probably a combination of both Lars. I think Lee has said the best comment. Maybe Think about selling all the turbo’s you have if they still hold a value. And buy a direct drive turbo. I think if you buy one now you can expect it to be ‘future proof’ for a long time to come.
An old Tacx genius will probably sell for 50£, a Bkool Pro maybe 100£.
Can the Neo provide enough resitance to do a TT warm up without power? If so I could sell my Tacx Satori. That would probably go for 150£.
I'm already half way there, aint I? :biggrin:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Can the Neo provide enough resitance to do a TT warm up without power? If so I could sell my Tacx Satori. That would probably go for 150£.
I would have thought it was possible to do what ever you want on a neo without power - it would talk to a mobile device and set resistance just like being plugged in - so I can only assume it would work just the same - it doesn’t need power , that’s just for freewheel
But I would take more notice of someone who has actually tried it - I know I have used it a few times without turning it on and not noticed until the downhills so I can’t see why you can’t use it anywhere with a iPad or something

bobinski

Legendary Member

Yes it can. Lots of people use it to warm up without power connected.Off you go and sell and buy!

berty bassett

Legendary Member
And thanks Andy for reply - must have been that way yes - nearly spilt me tea when I saw bardney mentioned
And as for brakes - that’s really poor - I ain’t sold on these disc brakes if that’s how they work ! - will look into the Options you and bibberty mentioned
Thanks both of you

Top Bottom