Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
To be honest I’m surprised the ftp gain is so low but maybe that’s just my expectations being unrealistic. I have a feeling you’re overall gains from the programme will be much higher than that margin though Del. Training 5 times a week, doing tough sessions. It can only of helped many more facets than just your ftp.

Also I think doing a ftp test is a skill in itself and why the results can be misleading. Maybe do some more ftp tests and I think your numbers will rise through the familiarity of pacing yourself better and better.

It is definitley a skill in itself, I'm guessing with that level of effort there will be a bigger in race increase in FTP soon

Del C

Veteran
To be honest I’m surprised the ftp gain is so low but maybe that’s just my expectations being unrealistic. I have a feeling you’re overall gains from the programme will be much higher than that margin though Del. Training 5 times a week, doing tough sessions. It can only of helped many more facets than just your ftp.

Also I think doing a ftp test is a skill in itself and why the results can be misleading. Maybe do some more ftp tests and I think your numbers will rise through the familiarity of pacing yourself better and better.
That's how I feel too.

I'm pleased with the improvement but thought it might have been a little better. But I think you're right on the overall gains from training and the next few weeks will show whether that's the case or not.

And I do think there's something in the lack of experience of doing FTP tests. I was tired at the end, but not on the verge of throwing up, which a lot of stuff I read about FTP tests predicted. I ended wondering if I could have pushed it a little more in the last few minutes or if I could have held a slightly higher power throughout.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Tommy the general rule for a fit rider to improve ftp 3-5% over 12 weeks is good . Dedicated rider over 12 months of structured training could expect 1% per month. Unless they were an elite athlete previously so greater gains would be expected

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Tommy the general rule for a fit rider to improve ftp 3-5% over 12 weeks is good . Dedicated rider over 12 months of structured training could expect 1% per month. Unless they were an elite athlete previously so greater gains would be expected

That doesn’t change the fact that Del could get a better ftp result by increasing his familiarity with the ftp tests though does it. In fact I’d go as far as to say that until you can confidentially say that you can perform a ftp test to your maximumim ability consistently. You should factor this inconsitsnacy into any result you get. Del’s number show less than a 3% increase. His true number could be a fair bit higher than that.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
That doesn’t change the fact that Del could get a better ftp result by increasing his familiarity with the ftp tests though does it. In fact I’d go as far as to say that until you can confidentially say that you can perform a ftp test to your maximumim ability consistently. You should factor this inconsitsnacy into any result you get. Del’s number show less than a 3% increase. His true number could be a fair bit higher than that.

Its the same for racing or just pushing yourself that extra margin to get a bit more. Some riders/athletes can go into the pain area where others cant. Its a guide number to work off and though a little bit of an ego boost when it tips over into another bracket.

<Tommy>

Its the same for racing or just pushing yourself that extra margin to get a bit more. Some riders/athletes can go into the pain area where others cant. Its a guide number to work off and though a little bit of an ego boost when it tips over into another bracket.

Sort of Andy. But there’s a difference between results versus others and improving your own results.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
@Del C Were the FTP tests 20 mins? .

You could try the ramp test either Trainer Road or I understand you can download a version for Zwift.
Its an easier version to attempt-I dont mean effort, just the approach. No rigid pacing, just keep going for as long as possible.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Don’t they say practice makes perfect? Learning to do anything takes more than a few attempts. For most of us at least. What I have read suggests this is one of the reasons behind the move to Ramp tests or Sufferfests 4dp test.
FWIW my ftp test outcome seemed a bit high and is a figure I have never matched over an hour in a race.

peterob

Veteran
@Del C Were the FTP tests 20 mins? .

You could try the ramp test either Trainer Road or I understand you can download a version for Zwift.
Its an easier version to attempt-I dont mean effort, just the approach. No rigid pacing, just keep going for as long as possible.
The ftp ramp test is actually already built in to Zwift. It’s the GPLama Test (the last one on the workouts list).

I’ve used it a couple of times. To me it seems more accurate to use as a comparison as opposed to the standard 20 mins test (where unless you’re experienced in running them, there’ll be a high margin of variability). In the hour long races we’ve been doing recently my av power has been approx 5-10% lower than the ftp figure I got from the ramp test. This seems reasonable considering all the regular changes of pace required in the races.

Last edited:

<Tommy>

FWIW my ftp test outcome seemed a bit high and is a figure I have never matched over an hour in a race.

Not being able to match ftp in an hour race doesn’t make your ftp figure too high. It just highlights the fairly obvious fact that they are two different measuring sticks with very different variables.

I’d suggest as a general point that people don’t put too much stock in ftp tests in isolation. And focus more on overall gains in a more rounded way.

Top Bottom