Zwift-Segment League for Cyclechat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
well Darren
i tried ( god knows i tried ) and all i did was knock 1 second of my time
can't see me troubling that time you set ! :notworthy:
but got a second prize ---- sorry Andy :okay:
maybe i did the wrong thing in trying to keep heart rate high before i hit the climb
maybe one more go ;)

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Bugger !

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
This is the volcano climb right? I’ve got a day off from tortureroad tomorrow so I’ll try to finally put a time a time up on one of these segments. Is there a marker to show where it starts?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
if you do the volcano climb route ( 14ish miles ) it starts about 5 miles in and a timer comes up as soon as you start - it starts as soon as the hill comes into view in the box top right
have you got the hang of the atom yet ?

bobinski

Legendary Member
Tommy, be aware stretches are flat, that it rarely peaks above 4 % and there is a nasty kick at the end just where you think it’s finished. Looking at Andy’s time in particular I am convinced it’s a power riders opportunity. Andy will better his time. See, you have to now Andy:okay:

LBHIFI

Veteran
Despite having a good go at the corkscrew, young Darren is still on the top spot:okay:

I held constant wattage throughout the climb. Estimated finish time only occasionally went sub 7.40 and eventually drifted out

Pinched the full loop time :smile:
Impressive power. Told you before...you should try TT'ing where your weight would usually be less of an disadvantage.

<Tommy>

if you do the volcano climb route ( 14ish miles ) it starts about 5 miles in and a timer comes up as soon as you start - it starts as soon as the hill comes into view in the box top right
have you got the hang of the atom yet ?

Not really much changed on the atom since I made my initial assessment Berty. I’ve not been on zwift much as avid followers of my strava feed will know! But there is a little trick to getting your gears displayed on a different screen so that is handy. There is still a delay between shifts. It’s not enough to push me off the Atom and onto a conventional trainer, but if another company brings out something without the delay it might turn my head.

kipster

Guru
I'm probably going to have a bash at the segment tomorrow assuming my feet thaw out from today's ride.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I hadn't realised my cadence was so high, I was not fully rested for this segment. I'll find another day where I'll hold a cadence of 80, see if my legs don't die first. I was hoping for more of a flat in the middle, but it was so brief you pretty much keep the power on non stop.

kipster

Guru
I hadn't realised my cadence was so high, I was not fully rested for this segment. I'll find another day where I'll hold a cadence of 80, see if my legs don't die first. I was hoping for more of a flat in the middle, but it was so brief you pretty much keep the power on non stop.
Andy what was your w/kg for the segment? trying to work out what I need to aim for to get close to you.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Not really much changed on the atom since I made my initial assessment Berty. I’ve not been on zwift much as avid followers of my strava feed will know! But there is a little trick to getting your gears displayed on a different screen so that is handy. There is still a delay between shifts. It’s not enough to push me off the Atom and onto a conventional trainer, but if another company brings out something without the delay it might turn my head.
don't know if you seen the little bit on the gadget show the other day - they pitted the yellow bkool , a wahoo and the atom against each other but in bit of an unfair test , they had wahoo on zwift , bkool on bkool and the atom i think with its own software - i didn't realise you had all the readouts like that !
the wahoo was liked the most but i think maybe that zwift brought the best out of it
he didnt like the glitches in bkool though !

<Tommy>

don't know if you seen the little bit on the gadget show the other day - they pitted the yellow bkool , a wahoo and the atom against each other but in bit of an unfair test , they had wahoo on zwift , bkool on bkool and the atom i think with its own software - i didn't realise you had all the readouts like that !
the wahoo was liked the most but i think maybe that zwift brought the best out of it
he didnt like the glitches in bkool though !

Didn’t see it mate. Like you say it sounds a little skewed... To be fair Wattbike’s own software is pretty cool, but probably gets cooler the more into controlled workouts and stats you are. Some of the data it spits out is way over what I need. Zwift is always going to win for the casual user. Given the choice of the two I’d probably choose zwift as well. But having both is nice. I don’t know if wahoo offer anything similar? I’m suprised BKOOL even got a mention though. It’s not often I see it talked about anymore in the English speaking media. I’m still hopeful the release of their own direct drive trainer will bring improvements to their whole outfit. But then I’m a glass half full kind of guy...

Top Bottom