Zwift-Segment League for Cyclechat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Hmmm, without wanting to open a whole new can of worms! No power meter runs at 100% accuracy. And zwift only replicates the real world as best they can, to their own interpretation. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if one trainer had a marginal edge over another. Would it you? Not that any of this will likely make much difference over such a short distance.
What I have noticed, not that it bothers me but it did make me wonder, is whether Zwift over reads speed at least on descents. On the drop from the tower to the sharp climb back onto the KoM start, in Zwift I can easily hit 92kph even when I just coast. However, in Bkool I never hit this speed even when coming down Alpe D'Huez which is 12km of downhill and I pedal like I've stole it. Might be realistic ..... but feels too fast compared to the speeds I see in Bkool, and I know others lighter than me also see crazy fast descent times too.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Those worms are a wriggling Tommy! Stop it now:okay:

Haha! Andy comes from an engineering background like me. I know he likes things just right too :smile:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I think you're right Tommy. Only in perfect environment could you say trainers were equal. But at least the margin is only a few percent. I'm not fussed, probably because I'm not right at the sharp end of competition to worry about fine margins. What I know is that the majority on Zwift are quite close and with that comes close racing. Just look at our current KoM attempts, we're pretty close across a variety of trainers, weights and ages-good competition.

<Tommy>

What I have noticed, not that it bothers me but it did make me wonder, is whether Zwift over reads speed at least on descents. On the drop from the tower to the sharp climb back onto the KoM start, in Zwift I can easily hit 92kph even when I just coast. However, in Bkool I never hit this speed even when coming down Alpe D'Huez which is 12km of downhill and I pedal like I've stole it. Might be realistic ..... but feels too fast compared to the speeds I see in Bkool, and I know others lighter than me also see crazy fast descent times too.

I think it will be incredibly hard to replicate real world conditions entirely accurately Whorty. What we should have a right to expect is consistency. This is where zwift far outperforms BKOOL.

I should edit that to say it sounds like BKOOL is slowly becoming more accurate which is really good news.

Last edited:

<Tommy>

I think you're right Tommy. Only in perfect environment could you say trainers were equal. But at least the margin is only a few percent. I'm not fussed, probably because I'm not right at the sharp end of competition to worry about fine margins. What I know is that the majority on Zwift are quite close and with that comes close racing. Just look at our current KoM attempts, we're pretty close across a variety of trainers, weights and ages-good competition.

My sentiment entirely.

bobinski

Legendary Member

Great competition and only to be improved in the New Year when we try and race together:okay:

Norry1

Legendary Member

I think the difference with irl is you don't break in Zwift. Ever tried that coming down something like Alps d'huez?

bridgy

Legendary Member
I think it will be incredibly hard to replicate real world conditions entirely accurately Whorty. What we should have a right to expect is consistency. This is where zwift far outperforms BKOOL.

I should edit that to say it sounds like BKOOL is slowly becoming more accurate which is really good news.
Not sure about that myself Tommy, but if they are they still have a long way to go. Table below is latest stage of the chaingang league - check out the w/kg (my ride included a lot of drafting too). I can just scrape above 4w/kg on zwift on a good day, and on a trainer with accurate PM would be a bit lower still. Anyone using a trainer on bkool which uses a PM to determine speed is going to be severely disadvantaged at the moment I would think!

Screenshot_20171218-230741.jpg

<Tommy>

Blimey that’s a pity... I was making my judgment on comments over the last few days over in the other thread. I wonder if BKOOL will ever get parity between the pro and other trainers.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Not sure about that myself Tommy, but if they are they still have a long way to go. Table below is latest stage of the chaingang league - check out the w/kg (my ride included a lot of drafting too). I can just scrape above 4w/kg on zwift on a good day, and on a trainer with accurate PM would be a bit lower still. Anyone using a trainer on bkool which uses a PM to determine speed is going to be severely disadvantaged at the moment I would think!

View attachment 387734

If I remember correctly Paul, your comparison ride on Monte's Neo gave you a W/Kg 3.8 whilst Bkool was 4.4. If you did go for a power meter you could race in B right at the front for a while. I remember Dave (Sticky bottle) was at tb too of B now he's right at the top of A category

bridgy

Legendary Member
If I remember correctly Paul, your comparison ride on Monte's Neo gave you a W/Kg 3.8 whilst Bkool was 4.4. If you did go for a power meter you could race in B right at the front for a while. I remember Dave (Sticky bottle) was at tb too of B now he's right at the top of A category
The ride I did the next day on the Bkool Pro on the same route as the Neo (London Loop) was only 4.1w/kg Andy. I've done that course 3 other times in races on the Bkool and got 3.6, 3.8 and 4.1 w/kg.

On different (flatter) courses I have got as high as 4.3w/kg but haven't done the same ride on the Neo to get a comparison.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Actually it's a bit confusing as there's 3 different sources of average w/kg figures - Zwift Power 95% average, Zwift Power average, and Strava - and they can all be a bit different! So the 5 zwift rides I've done on the London loop course are as follows:

Power figs.jpg

Top Bottom