Are cyclists exempt from speed limits?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Has anyone ever set a gatso off?
ha! Some of us have been awarded the 'double flash'.

swansonj

Guru
The 20mph limit in Richmond park certainly applies to cyclists.
Are you sure? You read conflicting accounts about that. It certainly used to, but there's a version abroad that it was a drafting mistake, and they subsequently amended it to exclude cyclists again. Or have they now reinstated it for cyclists? A mate in the office is adamant that the police stop cyclists for going greater than 20, and didn't seem keen on my suggestion that he should tell them they're wrong.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Are you sure? You read conflicting accounts about that. It certainly used to, but there's a version abroad that it was a drafting mistake, and they subsequently amended it to exclude cyclists again. Or have they now reinstated it for cyclists? A mate in the office is adamant that the police stop cyclists for going greater than 20, and didn't seem keen on my suggestion that he should tell them they're wrong.
The speed limit signs include cycles.

And
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/1308/pdfs/uksi_20041308_en.pdf
Link courtesy of @Tim Hall from another thread.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it does. The Parks Police pull 'em over and fine them. And that's not a bad thing - it is a park.

swansonj

Guru
I just looked up the thing I was alluding to. The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces Amendment Regulations 2010 are what I remembered reading about. Section 1(2) defined "vehicle" (to which the speed limits in the original regulations apply) as a mechanically propelled vehicle and thereby excluded bicycles from the speed limits. Or such was the apparently authoritative opinion on the CTC Forum (am I allowed to mention that here?) at the time. (There was then some discussion of whether pedal-only cycles are mechanically propelled but I think the conclusion of more knowledgeable people than me was that in law as opposed to normal English they are not.) I have zero independent knowledge of whether that was correct or whether anything has changed since.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ive seen police with speed guns pull cyclists over coming down the hill in greenwich park, which is a bit harsh as it is pretty hard to stick to 20 mph without being on the brakes the whole way

02GF74

Über Member
How does a cyclist know how fast he's going? :-s

quite easy - you are overtaking cars .... as what happened to me going down Marlow Hill .... shortly before being pulled over by the police..... fortunately got off with a telling off but you can get points on your licence, and this can be applied even if you don't have one too.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
quite easy - you are overtaking cars .... as what happened to me going down Marlow Hill .... shortly before being pulled over by the police..... fortunately got off with a telling off but you can get points on your licence, and this can be applied even if you don't have one too.
How would that work if you'd never be allowed one!

Fasta Asloth

The 20mph limit in Richmond park certainly applies to cyclists.
Does it, or is it another grey area since I have seen this debated on other forums extensively but with no clear cut outcome. Grey area appeared to come about due to the 2010 amendment to the royal parks and whether a bicycle is a mechanically propelled vechicle or not....guess they could still prosecute for cycling furiously regardless....?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Tripping a Gatso requires help from other riders, I believe. Rumour has it that a substantial amount of metal is needed to get the sensor angry. Riding four abreast at 40 mph might do it.
Riding alone at 34 mph will not.:cry:

Top Bottom