Are cyclists exempt from speed limits?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ive seen police with speed guns pull cyclists over coming down the hill in greenwich park, which is a bit harsh as it is pretty hard to stick to 20 mph without being on the brakes the whole way

So, stay on your brakes.

How would you react to a driver who said they couldn't keep to a speed limit because it meant using their brakes?

byegad

Legendary Member
I personally demand lower speed limits so us unfit cyclists can break them. A NSL of 12.5mph should do it:bicycle:

Can I bid for 10mph on the flat?

I can reach 50mph down hill but...

JayMac

Id actually love to get a £60 fine for cycling furiously. Just so i could get the letter framed!

Mr JayMac. We have found you guilty of cycling furiously!

Brilliant!

asterix

Comrade Member
Got this answer with regards a proposed speed reduction:
"Cyclists are not exempt from speed restrictions and can be stopped for speeding in the same way that any other driver/vehicle can be stopped."
How true is the answer they supplied?

It is wrong.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25703725
Spies are to be allowed to speed under changes to the UK motoring laws.
MI5 and MI6 officers currently have to abide by the rules of the road even if national security is threatened.
But they will be given the same exemptions as police vehicles, ambulances and fire engines by transport minister Robert Goodwill.

Just tell 'em you are working under cover and it will not be in their best interests to impede your progress. If they ask for id just laugh and ask if they really think spies carry id.

Fasta Asloth

They don't specifically state bicycles are exempt (from speed limits) in the 2010 amendment, or have I missed that part? They clarify that vehicle means mechanically propelled, so unless you are propelling your bike "flintstone" style then pedals, cranks, chainrings, chain, cassette etc are, arguably, mechanical, and used to help propel the bicycle...?

Fasta Asloth

2874663 said:
That is, thus far, not an understanding of what constitutes mechanically propelled

Then they need to clarify what it means...

Fasta Asloth

2874676 said:
That is not the same thing. That is Richmond Park, where the bylaws include cycles....
But that is the place that I am referring to and was in fact replying to a post on the royal park amendments....

Last edited:

Fasta Asloth

2874715 said:
I understand that, it is just that it is nothing to do with the unasked question of whether or not a bicycle is mechanically propelled.

Eh? It has everything to do with it, if the poster (i was replying to) is using the 2010 amendment, and specifically the revision to include the term mechanically propelled vehicle, as evidence that the parks speed limit therefore doesn't apply to bicycles. And it isn't "unasked" I have asked it....

Fasta Asloth

But if bikes are not mechanically propelled (they're not, surely - they're human propelled?) then doesn't that mean any cyclists fined for speeding in Richmond Park should get their fines refunded?
I guess that is the crux of the debate, are they or aren't they, and as you say if indeed they are then both the police and (magistrate) courts are in need of some updating on the subject....

Top Bottom